Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lorna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2008, 08:26 AM

Severe seperation anxiety

Hi everyone,

I'm just so gutted, Icon has his ups and downs but since I've moved into this house, I've had nothing but trouble with him.

Since he was in the kennels, I can't leave him on his own at all, he now knows how to open the fridge, he's ripped up my carpets, he chews everything, except his own toys. I leave him in the kitchen/dining area, its larger than the room I used to leave him in with no problems. I just feel like I'm being so cruel to him - I have to work I'm in bits.

I don't want to lose my boy, but if you could only understand how broke I am. I'm thinking of buying him a really big crate....he used to be crated at night, I think that would at least help at night time but I don't know how I'm going to sort out this when I'm at work....I can't afford creche at the moment I feel like I'm being so cruel, but I can't lose him, I know its selfish, but I can't. I don't have any holiday left so I can't take time off work...

I'm in bits....
MistyBlue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2008, 08:40 AM
hiay *hUGS* you arent being cruel you need to work to live!!

a crate i think for 4 hours is the max time isnt it? i mean if he was crated through the night thats 8 odd hours isnt it?

how about a playpen? with a top on it a bit bigger and you have leave paper down just incase? and toys and a kong you can buy a kong thing that goes on a timer & 4 get realeased at a time you choose. how about that?

his prob worse after the kennels as he might feel that when you leave your going to leave him for however long he was in the kennels for?

maybe practice going out, get your coat on get your keys etc dont look at him put him in his playpen put the tv on fav toys, kongs etc...got out for 5 mins then jsut come back in take off all of your items & ignore him sit down have a cup of tea, then get him out?

just so he knows and gets used to you coming and going? do it a fair few times a day so he knows your rountine and knows you will come back?

like starting from stratch again??

Archie is with me 24/7 even if i walk the other side of the sofa............he literally screams its awful! and he can see me!!!

I put archie in a playpen at night with blankies & paper (his dry but just incase) as when i am ill i can sleep for about 12hours & i dont think it is fair for him to be in crate this long! so he has some toys and chews and things and he doesnt complain unless he really need sthe loo then he tells me bless him-dont like going in his playpen, but that is so rare lucky he stays all dry now!

not sure if this will help? hope it does or gives you some ideas?? *hUGS*
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2008, 08:41 AM
Poor you and poor him
I guess he is just a bit disturbed by the change
but I think the crate is the best idea - it will make him feel more secure, get him used to not chewing things and also giving him room to run around during the day could be making him worse
Its difficult but we have to work
What do you do before and after work??depends on the dog but I find I am best not to do a big walk in the morining as that makes him hyper little walk then some mind games then longer walks later on
Lorna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2008, 09:32 AM
Icon sleeps normally after a massive walk, so he has a 2 hour walk in the morning, and should sleep.....he'd knock the playpen down I think, he can even open the fridge....!!!

I don't know, I'm going to do the idea of getting ready, going out, then not....

Thank you all xxxx
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

17-05-2008, 10:03 AM
Originally Posted by Lorna View Post
Icon sleeps normally after a massive walk, so he has a 2 hour walk in the morning, and should sleep.....he'd knock the playpen down I think, he can even open the fridge....!!!

I don't know, I'm going to do the idea of getting ready, going out, then not....

Thank you all xxxx
I'd try that idea - even if you combine with a crate to begin with.

The problem is he knows when you go out (after you've got ready for work)that you're going to be gone for a while. The trick is getting him to the stage whereby when you get ready for work and leave the house you might be back at any moment.

Good luck with it.
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2008, 10:06 AM
Go off the the chemist hun and buy them baby clip's that keep them from openeing fridges, stuff his toys with yummy thing's and practice leaving him for a few minutes each time over the time your not working.
Hope it help's hun.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

17-05-2008, 10:11 AM
is it separation anxiety or separation fun?
MistyBlue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2008, 10:47 AM
oh what about that thing you can guy & plug it it realises pharmones (spelling) and calms dogs down worked Extremly well on my cat!

saying that i jsut got out of the car & left archie iwht with jay........he went mental jay was not pleased!

he just misses you!

maybe put a lock or alarm on the firdge? his obviouslt doing it all cos your gone and its keeping his mind off of it i guess....by being naughty!!

guess we haveto work on it till he doesnt care if you go come back whatever!! lol!! do you ignore him when you come in to?
Lorna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2008, 10:56 AM
I ignore him until I have finished cleaning up the bloody mess he makes feel so so down!

My ex has come over to have him for me for today because I have to go to Bristol for the afternoon and I just can't face him wrecking my house anymore! xxx
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2008, 01:30 PM
Basically if he is wrecking things then he needs crated - for his own saftey and your sanity
There is lots of good advice on crate training - and you can combine that with the pretending to leave thing (but dont come back and reward him if he is going mental - only go back when he is calm else he will learn that going mad brings you back)
And cool that walks tire him out - nice long walk then some food should calm him down

And mistyblue - the crate is OK at night because you are there and they are sleeping - you have to be able the hear if they need out else they could get distressed
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >