Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-08-2007, 12:14 PM

Fish and tomatoes and onions? (help!!)

Can someone please advise me on something please? Can dogs eat tomatoes? I heard a vet on tv saying they were quite bad.. this was after Jamie ate a slice of one.. thankfully no repurcutions!! So then I thought well that means I have to check everything I give him then.. Then today I went shopping and was gonna buy him some sardines and pilchards, he loves tuna.. and I thought can he have them? If they have bones in will they get stuck in his throat? And most of them come in tomato sauce!! OMG I am so confused... Then I heard onions are a big no no as well... I would like to give him something other than tinned tuna...!
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-08-2007, 12:19 PM
As far as I know, onions are a definite no-no

I wasn't aware of the tomato thing - I know that they shouldn't eat the leaves or actual plant (as, like potatoes, it's part of the nightshade family), but hadn't heard that actual tomatoes shouldn't be given.

Max loves sardines and pilchards (in either oil or tomato sauce). I mash them up pretty well, and we've never had an issue!

Hopefully someone will know more about the tomato thing!
tinkladyv
Almost a Veteran
Female 

30-08-2007, 12:22 PM
Tomatoes and Onions can be bad for dogs, but to be honest, mine get all the table scraps and this has included these things and has never caused them any harm, so i wouldnt worry, just dont feed them a whole one.

Fish is a great source of healthy food for dogs, so yes feed them that as well, dont worry about bones as long as they are not cooked, but if you are buying tinned its better to use the ones in oil, not brine or tomatoes sauce as this can be very salty.
Mine love whole fish, guts bones and all, whatever is cheapest is what they get.
I also feed them Raw meaty bones free from the butcher, which they adore, again totally safe as long as they are not cooked.
I just tend to only give them when im in though, just to make sure.
Hope that helps.
Gemma
Greyhawk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-08-2007, 12:29 PM
Ours get Pilchards in tomato sauce once a week With tomatoes, as long as they are ripe then there shouldn't be a problem (ours on occasion get a cherry tomato to eat). The plant itself is toxic and to a lesser extent unripe tomatoes are also toxic.

You should never give onions as they can cause anaemia, however I do give garlic in small quantities (now in tablet form) as a natural flea preventative.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-09-2007, 10:47 PM
I think with tomatoes it's the leaves and stems that can cause problems.