Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Casey.daun4
New Member!
Female 

24-03-2017, 03:11 PM

New puppy training issues

I am currently working on training my puppy. We have three dogs total, my fiancé's German shepherd, my 11 year old Boston (who I've had since a child), and my mutt puppy. We know he is beagle & lab mixed, but not sure what else. We are both 23 and this is my first experience with a puppy since leaving home a few years ago. So far, Branch (the puppy's name) has been doing wonderful house training, as I take him out frequently & he sleeps in a crate. We haven't had too awful of a chewing issue (so far), but we've used apple bitter spray to help. My issue is with learning commands. He knows sit, lay down, and almost has roll over mastered. I've been teaching one command at a time, then adding one more after he has mastered the current one. Now every time he sees me grab some dry dog food, he immediately sits, lays down, and rolls, and will continue to do so if I don't say anything. Is there anyway I can stop this? I want him to do the commands I'm telling him to do, not just what he thinks I want him to do. I try to ignore it and I don't reward him unless he does what I'm telling him to do. But it's slightly frustrating and we waste a lot of time doing this instead.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

24-03-2017, 03:20 PM
You need to teach him the essentials such as wait, leave it, enough etc before teaching tricks like roll over. Put the treats in your pocket when he's not looking before starting any training.
Casey.daun4
New Member!
Female 

24-03-2017, 03:36 PM
Thanks for the advice, it does make sense to teach those things first. When I thought of starting to train, I just thought sit, lay down, roll over, shake.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-03-2017, 04:39 PM
Keep him guessing . Change the sequence of what you ask for. Change the duration (gradually) of what you are asking. Keep increasing the distance (again gradually). Change the places where you train. Keep training sessions short and fun.

Once the luring stage is over (if that is how you are training), put the treats out of sight so that he is working for you, not solely for the treats. Vary your rewards - cuddles and play work as well as the treats and keep these varied too

Good luck.