View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
jaymacv
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-05-2011, 08:26 PM

How to Pick a good vet? (+ trip to dogs trust)

Hi.
I was wondering lately about vets.
I'm not sure how to pick a good vet. Because all the ones I've met going with my rats (r.i.p little fatties! ) have been able to spout out a lot of talk but aren't so capable with the animals themselves.
I heard in a magazine about a site where all the, I don't know, "good", vets were registered but I can't remember the adress. Does anyone know about this?

Yesterday took a trip to Dogs Trust Glasgow. Its always so sad, I want to take them all home. There are still no dogs that we can take, but I recognised some from previous visits months ago, the poor things.
I wish more people would consider rescues!
If we can't find a rescue then it'll be a pug

Jay.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-05-2011, 08:32 PM
All vets are like doctors, registered with the relevant governing body. Because you tend to have a personal relationship with your vet/doctor in emotional times, it is essential that you "gel"; so it is really down to personal choice; it does not mean Vet A is better or worse than Vet B, just that you have the same outlook.

I have lived in my current house since 1997, I changed vets once and have been with my current practice for over 10 years.

I tend to ask for a particular vet if possible as we see eye to eye on a lot of things; sometimes it is trial and error and developing a relationship.
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-05-2011, 08:36 PM
I am registered with two different vets. One is within walking distance and has two young, very approachable vets.

The other practice is further away but one of the vets is much older, extremely experienced, and highly regarded for miles and miles around.

So for example, on one occasion I was not happy with one of the young vets at the nearby practice, and felt they could have treated Dexter's ear problem more effectively - so I took him for a second opinion to the more experienced vet, and this worked well.

But on other issues, the younger vets are great and very open-minded for instance with my reluctance to let Dex have boosters/vaccinations.

If you have a few vet practices in your area, it's worth making appointments at all of them just to get your dog checked over - then you can get a feeling for which vet(s) are the 'right' ones for you.

I also always look at how clean the practice is, of course, and also at how the staff respond to my dog.
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-05-2011, 09:32 PM
For me it's personal thing and how they deal with my dog. I have been with the same vet for 7 years and I trust him with my dog, he is very good with him, you can tell he I'd a dog person and it makes such s difference. Interestingly Bruno will do anything for my vet and let him do anything to him, but we saw a different vet the other day to check his scar and he wanted to check his teeth and Bruno would not open his mouth so it's clear that this vet isn't as confident with Bruno and Bruno picked up on it...

What kind if dog you after?
boxergoggins
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-05-2011, 11:11 AM
Im lucky to have been with my vets for donkeys years and they have the best reputation around where I live...

Maybe its worth a little stroll down to your local dog walking area and ask people who are walking their woofs who they use and are they happy...

I always think word of mouth is an interesting experiance..not everyone is the same and all have differing views but pick what seems the "top 2" and then go and visit them and see what they are like...

Good Luck finding your new best friend...
emma47
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2011, 10:17 PM
I can't really add to whats been said but I've just recently changed vets we where with the previous vet for four years although we only visited him half a dozen times including boosters. Although i couldn't fault his treatment of Ted (although only minor treatment) there where several things that made me want to change and as we have several vet practices in the town i went on the recomendation of a few people i know with dogs who used the practice i'm now with. I've only been once but so far so good Good luck with your search
jaymacv
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-05-2011, 06:39 PM
Hi everyone.
Thanks for all your advice. I will visit all the nearby vets - we're lucky because we live quite near Glasgow and its got a brilliant vets!
For those that are wondering, we visited pug puppies yesterday and we've reserved a little girl. They were only 2 and a half weeks old, we're collecting it at 12 weeks (the kids are going for a eleven day holiday so slight delay, we didn't think it would be fair to get one before going away.)
But a rescue is always on the menu

Jay.