Our sister sites
Our sister sites
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2011, 11:10 AM

How do you pick names for your dogs?

Use a name search engine??
Do you pick a theme like designer labels or good products?
Or do you pick based on your dogs personalities???

Im gonna be getting a female dog not sure what type yet it but would love to hear some suggestions or names of your dogs so i can start a list and eventually from one when have the dog.

Done all the research it was a sinch, I have time and the space for a small dog and the money just got the two hardest parts left to do finding a breed to suite me as im inexperienced and a name for said dog ^__^
Sosha
Almost a Veteran
Female 

29-01-2011, 12:01 PM
My one and only dog came with his name.

Search engines/ themes all good...

For me: name you like, that suits, and will be easy to hear shouted across the park and not make you feel like a twit!

Think I'd need to see them first too just in case - some name themselves!

But that's just, like, me, innit.
TomtheLurcher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2011, 12:05 PM
Same for me first dog came with a name although he has lots of nicknames now that he answers to , second dog a grey had a race name Lakers Florence , known as florrie in the kennels, we named her Bella as she is a black beauty and she answered to that real quickly although she too has nicknames, Bella Boo , Boo Boo and responds to them .hope you find your doggie soon !
dizzi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

29-01-2011, 01:05 PM
Imagine yourself yelling it full volume in the park in front of a fair few people - if you feel like a prat at that thought, think of a different name!
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2011, 01:07 PM
lol funnily enough thats how im deciding in the end I just can't come up with much though I do like pixie ^^
NicolaG
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-01-2011, 02:26 PM
Our first dog was called Sasha and she was named after a DJ that me and my husband liked, this was about 1998.

My gorgeous Morgan ( who had to be put to sleep 2 days ago ) was named after a shop. We couldnt think what to call her and i had just been shopping for a new outfit and the carrier bag was just sitting there so she was called Morgan.

And Abbie, my husband named her Abbie, no idea why. I wanted to call her Daisy but my husband said he'd feel daft shouting Daisy at a big german shepherd so he eventually picked Abbie.

I wanted my dogs to have " proper " girls names as at that point, we werent planning a family so our dogs were babies ..... still are

Good luck xx
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2011, 02:34 PM
Our dog came with the name the shelter gave her. She had been called it at the shelter, been called it on the transport to rescue (where I first met her), was called that at her foster home, and we were calling her that as we were putting in the application and getting her ready to come home.

When she got to us, we couldn't imagine naming her anything else, though we briefly considered it.
Pilgrim
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2011, 02:39 PM
I wait until I see the dog and then they tell me their name, if that makes sense?
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2011, 04:04 PM
There arent many names i've picked for my dogs, 2 out of the 4 were out of my hands but I used search engines for inspiration. I try and pick a bit of an unusual or less common name and maybe a name that originates from the dogs country of origin.

I like a name to link to the dog in some way. Jed and Jess(ie) are traditional collie names for example (although they are the ones I didnt choose!) and I chose Flynn because I just liked it. I named my dobie Kai because it was German.
Scottie_111
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-01-2011, 04:18 PM
I had a bit of a theme going for a while.

My Scottie is called Archie by Mums Scottie (which is Archie's sister) is called Lexie my beardie is called Molly which are all characters from Monarch of the Glen.

The westie.... looked at the map as we were going to collect him saw a wee place called St Fergus Aberdeenshire on route so we called him Fergus.

Finally when we got our GSP X .. Thomas is a popular German name I liked it, however I may add all the dogs name get shortened

Archie = Arch
Fergus = Gus
Molly = Miss
Thomas = Tom
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >