Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kirsty_
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2008, 10:51 AM

cant decide between these breeds? lab, CKCS, working cocker

i am hopefully getting a dog in the near future, but cant decide between a labrador, a CKCS or a working type cocker. im looking for an all round family dog, good with children abd other animals. would hopefully like to do agility aswel or something similar. any ideas?
Gina&Jaz
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-07-2008, 11:18 AM
I have a CKCS at the moment, and I would love a working cocker. I would never be without a Cavalier, they're fab little dogs, they don't demand lots of exercise, they love to be with the family, they make wonderful family pets. I do agility with my girl and she is a smart little thing.

Working cockers are a lot more lively than Cavs, they do require a certain level of exercise and they need to be mentally stimulated to be kept happy. They do also make good family pets, but just need that exercise, and they are a lot more bouncy. They do really well at agility.

Can't say I know too much about Labs, so don't like to comment.

This is just from my experience, so I'm sure other people have some different opinions of the breeds.
sjpurt
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2008, 01:27 PM
i have 2 labs and they great, they have been around children all ages and love them to bits, love agilty, walks and very easy going i can recommend them. i am also looking into ckcs as i think they are great i am sure more people will be along to help you out.
Petstalk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2008, 01:34 PM
I would have to say CKCS's are a wonderful all round family dog, once owned they steal your heart x x I would never be without a CKCS. I have done bonth agility and obedience with my girls, which they love x x
Feel free to PM me if you want anymore info re breed or local training classes x
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2008, 03:14 PM
cavaliers are a lovely breed but the choice is yours x
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

28-07-2008, 03:21 PM
Well I will say Labs I have two now and have one in the past and to be honest I cant ever see myself being without one.

They are easy going, are great with kids, I think they think they are kids themselfs. They are fairly easy to train but need just as much mental exercise as physical otherwise they will become bored and thats a bad combo.

They dont need a lot of grooming but they do love mud/dirt/water and rolling it "things" so will need cleaning.

There are a few, one they are the greediest breed of dog I know and will eat everything and anything, this is one of the main probs I have had with mine.

As Inca says it is your choice.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2008, 03:47 PM
Out of your choices, I like the working cocker the best. Bags of character, enthusiasm and oomph! They are busy little dogs - so would excel at agility I am sure.

Good luck with whichever breed you decide.
freddie-frecks
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-07-2008, 03:50 PM
Cavaliers are a lovely family pet, my cousin had two, don't know if they're any good at agility as i haven't owned one myself. But i own a springer cross cocker and hes great with kids and other dogs and would be brilliant at agility, i know hes a cross breed but hes definately more springer than cocker. And as for labs, lovely dogs but theyre definately chewers! There was a couple of incidents when i was a baby were the labs showed aggression, don't know if it was a one off thing due to protectiveness but just be aware if you was thinking of a lab.
Good luck in whatever you choose x
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

28-07-2008, 04:01 PM
Originally Posted by freddie-frecks View Post
Cavaliers are a lovely family pet, my cousin had two, don't know if they're any good at agility as i haven't owned one myself. But i own a springer cross cocker and hes great with kids and other dogs and would be brilliant at agility, i know hes a cross breed but hes definately more springer than cocker. And as for labs, lovely dogs but theyre definately chewers! There was a couple of incidents when i was a baby were the labs showed aggression, don't know if it was a one off thing due to protectiveness but just be aware if you was thinking of a lab.
Good luck in whatever you choose x
Imo that goes for any breed, be aware they suit you, make sure they have been well care for and well bred.

There is more cases of aggression in labs but that imo is down to people overbreeding them for money rarther than what a lab should be.
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2008, 04:09 PM
I think as well size must come into this as well as the 3 breeds you have chosen are very different sizes.

For me it would be between the Lab and the working cocker but then i like bigger dogs on the whole so i'm biased!