Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
**Leanne**
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-09-2009, 08:13 PM

Rant about walk!

This morning took our 2 out for their morning walk, just the usual my 2 off lead chasing after their ball ignoring everyone else. When I had 2 dogs wander up to us I said hello but my 2 ignored them as they only wanted their ball (this is the usual, they hardly notice anyone when in chase mode) Anyhoo Shadow returned with the ball and dropped it for me to pick up, but mum was too slow and one of the dog's nicked the ball and ran off! About 5 mins later the dog's owner's arrived and I asked for her if she could get our ball off her dog as pup was getting unsettled and wanted his ball so she got her treat bag out and got the ball off by giving the doga treat then the other owner's dog picked it up before any of us could get it - this repeated for another 5 mins!!! She saw that Shadow was getting upset and decided to give him a treat - without asking me (I dont mind my dog's being treated at all, but I would have asked first! especially as Shadow is on a strict diet at the mo) Eventually got the ball off the dogs and set on our way - just 10 mins late for college!!! Does anyone else have ball nickers?? It drives me nuts, as my 2 dont do it but they know the leave command and follow it!! And the treating annoyed me rant over sorry
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-09-2009, 08:33 PM
YES!
We had one dog that not only bit it's owner when she tried to get the ball he had stolen from Cosmo (and he meant it...) he then attacked Cosmo. Thankfully, no physical wound but it now means if another dog stands by his ball, he won't pick it up.
Jackpot
New Member!
Female 

09-09-2009, 08:42 PM
This little Jack Russel who takes himself for walks in our area one day ran down, nicked my Jasper's ball and legged it for home at full speed, was the last I ever saw of that ball! I just pick the ball up when I see other dogs now, as Jasper can get possessive over it anyhow.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-09-2009, 09:25 PM
I don`t have that problem as Daisy just jumps on their heads if they try to pinch her ball and the owners flounce off in a grump. Bovvered? Moi?
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-09-2009, 12:39 AM
LOL - My Ellie will jump on antyhing that piches her ball. But once she has it, she doesn't want it! Strange!

I've taken both Zane and Yiannis (together and separately) to Sutton Park and on occasins aith YS and her BCs. I can guarantee her Bruce will nick Zane's ball every time. Zane doesn't care and runs about with him trying hard to keep up (but can't). Whenever we look for the ball, it's always disappeared. Nobody knows where!

so I've come to the conclusion that in Sutton Park it doesn't matter if another dog pinches my dogs' ball - the ball bogeyman will get it eventually anyway without any of them knowing.

Laura xx
Emax
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-09-2009, 11:57 AM
Oh dear you would hate me and my boy in the park. The only way to get a ball off him is to give him so many he can't fit them all on his mouth (that's 5 tennis balls or 1 football and 2 tennis balls).

He doesn't usually steal other dogs balls, as I have so many with me, but is very protective of those he consders his and if another dog comes over I have to be very careful!!! If he does steal a ball I always have a replacment to give the owner and now other dog walkers in my local park know how many balls I have with me, and if they forget their dogs they may shout over for one. Which I am happy to provide as it means their dogs won't try and steal Max's and everyone has a nice walk.

The joys of not owning your dog since a puppy is they come with bad habits. I have tried everything to teach him leave and he will with everything else but not a ball, as nothing on this earth outweighs a ball in his eyes!!!
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-09-2009, 01:13 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
I don`t have that problem as Daisy just jumps on their heads if they try to pinch her ball and the owners flounce off in a grump. Bovvered? Moi?
lol sadie does just the same! one things for sure...the same dog never tries twice to nick her ball!
Mother*ship
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-09-2009, 01:22 PM
My Pepper is a bit of a ball nicker, but it's not the ball she wants, what she is really after is a game of chase! So if the ball's owner doesn't oblige she very quickly gets bored and drops it or will give it to me to return. Of course as soon as the other dog shows any interest in it she trys again!! You can't blame a girl for trying! But seriously if she's making a nuisance of herself I remove her from the situation.

J.
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-09-2009, 01:26 PM
Louis won't chase the ball if other dogs run after it, unless it is Jed then he gets in terrier mode and jumps at him until he drops it, then he runs off as if he is the champion, where if Jed wanted to he could eat him . Oh but the kids in the street play ball games quite often, if I tell him it is alright to go and play, he grabs the ball and won't give it back to anyone but me (sorry but I love teasing them as they are little terrors).
**Leanne**
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-09-2009, 06:01 PM
Tbh I dont normally mind ball knickers (we get a few) because 99% of the time the owners are right there. But this woman'sdogwasout of her sight and dandering about, and she didnt seem like she gave a hoot!! That's what annoyed me and treating Shadow without asking my permission, I wouldnt dream of it!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >