register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Chloe
Dogsey Senior

23-10-2004, 06:38 PM
Hmmm... bit provocative this thread in parts me thinks...

People can use cannabis without smoking it with nicotene by using bongs - it can also be eaten, baked in cakes and biscuits etc. So a cannabis user who is anti smoking is not necessarily a hypocrite.

I used to smoke it all the time when I was a lot younger - it was a bit of fun and I actually quite enjoyed it. I wouldn't touch it now because I don't smoke and the nicotene would knock me out before the dope had an effect!

Live and let live I say - if folk want to smoke it in their own houses by their own choice then let them - like smoking, I just don't want folk smoking over me or my kids - and most considerate smokers understand that!

Interesting I was in Amsterdam with work the other day and smoking in general was far more acceptable and open than here - the dutch are also the most laid back folk I have ever met... I don't think they were all stones all of the time, but they were certainly happy people!
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-10-2004, 08:56 PM
Thanks Stonedagen
Captain Proton
Dogsey Junior
Male 

23-10-2004, 11:28 PM
Originally Posted by stonedagen
Im not trying to pick a fight or trying to be horrible but it is a well known fact that with reguards to drugs.....alcohol is a lot more addictive and can do a lot more physical and emotional harm to a person than weed ever will do.

I am not saying that weed hasnt got harming effects as we all all know that it does, mostly to the lungs, like fags.

I just get sick of double standards. Although i also appreciate that everyone has their own views on issues raised in this thread.

Wolfie i am really sorry about your husband/partner?
Why dont you educate some of us mis-informed individuals how exactly "alcohol is a lot more addictive."

EDIT: On second thoughts, who cares.
Whiz
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-10-2004, 04:55 AM
I dont smoke or drink, far too many harming effects as regards to doing both, or doing one or the other.

I dont mind people that do smoke, it dont bother me in the slightest, as long as my daughter is not exposed to it, i couldnt give a monkeys, its freedom of choce. My father ( who i never got on with ) died at the age of 47 his death was smoking related he had lung cancer, although it states on his death certificate massive heart attack, but we all know both of which he suffered are smoking related.

My best friends father died 20 years ago at the age of 32, wasnt a drinker on a big scale but went out on a stag night, came home paraletic fell asleep on the sofa and choked on his own vomit and died, his wife and kids found him dead the next morning

I think alcohol and smoking are both as addictive as each other, i have seen and met many alcholic people ( alcoholism has reared its ugly head within my family ) and i would say its probably worse once you are addicted to it than trying to give up smoking. But in saying that as i have never done niether i could not say which one is more addictive than the other, they are more than likely as addictive as each other.
Mel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2004, 06:16 AM
I do smoke (ciggies) but I rarely drink nowadays. When I was young (many years ago) I used to smoke pot. Also I *have* taken LSD around the same time.

Nowadays users of pot (dope, weed whatever you want to call it) use it differently to the way we used to. We would have a joint (or several) on a Friday or Saturday night ..the users nowadays tens to use it regularly, most nights and even as a relaxant when they get home from work or school ..

I do not believe pot to be addictive as long as it is not used in conjunction with tobacco. I don't think it is any worse than having a few glasses of wine in the evening. However, I *do* think there is always the possibility that someone with an addictive personality could go on harder drugs after trying pot. This goes for alcohol as well though, someone who has a few drinks most weekends does not necessarily become an alcoholic, but *some* people will.

I think that cannabis should be legalised and regulated. It would demystify the whole thing for a start and everyone with kids knows that forbidden fruit always taste the best

The schools usually so provide a good backup and plenty of information for kids with regards to drugs, but I still believe that a well informed parent who can talk to their kids with being judgemental is the best teacher

JMHO
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

24-10-2004, 12:50 PM
Originally Posted by Captain Proton
drugs vs alchohol?
Im not technical expert, but i thought drugs are worse, because they are addictive and do more damage to the human body? isnt that why most drugs are banned? THe way i see alcholol is only bad for health when drunk in large quanties and how regulary.

CP It is a case of all things in moderation, I think both drugs and alchohol can be equally as bad for you
...I don't smoke and rarely drink (have never taken any drugs) but would not deny others either pleasure if they do it in moderation and cause no harm to others ...Achohol in some people can be very addictive and I have seen a number of people whose jobs and lives have been destroyed by it I am not an advocate for drugs but as my son pointed out when he and his friends stay together and smoke a few joints while watching a film they harm no one and are not agressive unlike the drunks who turn out of the pubs and knock the hell out of people and that can happen the first time people drink..it does not have to be 'large quantities regularly' If you fall over or get into a fight while drunk that is also bad for your health wouldnt you say?
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

24-10-2004, 02:26 PM
Regarding the addictability of drugs and/or alcohol I think alot of it is down to personal circumstances (rough time at work/home etc) and the persons own pre-disposition to being able to become addictive to either. However, in general I think cannabis is not as addictive, as I've known people who have smoked it day after day for years and years and then suddenly one day decide to give it up and have done, and without any problems. The same could not be said for an alcoholic as this person would need prfessional help. Onto the health effects? Well we all know about Alcohol but I don't think everyone knows about cannabis - it is an immune surpressant, meaning that smoking it weakens your system (an dover time it gets worse, making your body more susceptical to dis-ease), it also 'slows' down ur system/brain so people are much more 'chilled-out', (pretty good on night out to cu tdown on 'fights' but not so good when driving cars as u need to be able to think very quickly, and also a politicans dream wouldnt you say having so many 'chilled-out' people to fool?). So although it's effects seem to be less harsh, I think on a personal level it does a huge amount of damage.

Ok - I'm not god but if I was I would bannish everything on earth that isn't allowed in my detox! lol so no alcohol, drugs, chemicals in food(!) etc lol (maybe I would introduce a few new 'joys' that didnt hurt us ((lol don't ask me what, Im still searching! lol))).jmo.
Naomi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2004, 02:29 PM
Oh no eRaze I'm crushed, I really thought you were god
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

24-10-2004, 02:55 PM
Originally Posted by Staffy
Oh no eRaze I'm crushed, I really thought you were god
mmmmmm.........