View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2018, 07:58 PM
Agreed Trouble ... my point is is this fair? Personally I think it totally unreasonable
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

09-01-2018, 09:09 PM
I think so too especially as the OP didn't see what happened. I think the OP came looking for validation and got ar$ey when questioned about the alleged attack, I certainly couldn't put a dog to sleep on a suspicion especially as she's had it two years without incident.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2018, 11:08 PM
Even if I knew for sure I would never destroy a dog for such an action. To me it is very unfortunate but why should we be so shocked? Cats kill, torture and maim other creatures every day of their life and nobody turns a hair ... a dog kills and eats a cat and a huge furore ensues. This is nature, I dont always like it but I accept it for what it is .. natural predatory instinct.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2018, 09:23 AM
Many dogs live harmoniously with cats their whole lives. Taking aside the nature/nurture debate, when a situation as outlined occurs, then obviously something has to be done to keep the other cat safe.

Debating the nature of dogs is fine, but does nothing to solve the dilemma faced by owners in this sort of situation.

Of course, the ideal way would be to re-home to a single pet home, but with older animals, this is highly unlikely. So, unfortunately, the only solutions are to go on as it and sentence the other cat to a likely death, or take the decision and have the dog put to sleep.

Not easy for any owner whatever is decided
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2018, 10:12 AM
Some dogs, including my Ben, are fine with cats ... but I would never trust him with my daughter's Bengal alone in a room together ... the cat rules, thete is no doubt, but something could trigger in Ben's brain and cause him to go into prey drive mode. I think the point I am trying to make is that if you have dogs and cats, don't be shocked and horrified if one day the worst happens. You can take all the precautions you want but if there was an attack, then don't rush to have the dog destroyed, that is not fair. All we can do as responsible dog owners is to try to train our dogs that cats are friends not food!!
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2018, 11:16 AM
So, in a situation as outlined in the op, what would you do in that situation?

Don't forget, there is another cat in the home when considering the options.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2018, 07:38 PM
As sure as hell I would not put down the dog ... I really don't know what I would do because I would never have a cat. Howver, if I did I would do everything I could to try and show the dog that it was unacceptable for him to kill the cat. It would be unfair to confine either animal so I would do my best to make the dog understand that pussy was part of the pack and hope for the best. If you are a cat lover then it would be very hard I understand that.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2018, 05:21 AM
As someone who rescues cats and has a multicat household and two dogs, one a HPR, the other a Herder, this in my view is totally unacceptable. The other cat is very old and stands absolutely no chance of escape from a 50lb dog. Did i read the deceased cat was 10 yrs plus? That is also an older cat and therefore not as spritely as a younger fitter cat esp if taken by surprise.. I personally would not trust this dog again and would feel that the tiny dogs are also at high risk.

I do feel this Poster should make an appointment with her Vet. There are medical conditions (thyroid being one) that can change a dog’s character/temperament. I would trust my vet enough to seek his opinion and see what he feels should be done. To me, this dog would not have a place in my home esp if medically fit.

In meantime I am with others here, the other pets are of prime importance and their well being. Either keep the 50 lb dog totally separate or muzzled or indeed both.

I personally would have been straight to the Vet before posting online
Bulldogs4Life
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-01-2018, 06:38 AM
Originally Posted by Allyouneedislove View Post
Actually it happened in under 60 seconds. You would be very surprised at how quickly something can happen- until it happens to you so please don’t be so quick to judge. I’m just trying to do what’s right now by the dog and my other pets. I’m looking for advice to avoid another disaster. That’s what I joined this forum for...for other animal lovers to help with solutions- not rudeness and judgement.
Yes it can happen very quickly. Small animals can be killed like that. My dogs great great grandsire killed a cat that came in yard just as fast. The cat I don't think even knew what happened, because it was over do quick. However, he had grabbed neck with head in mouth so that is what made it a quick, fatal injury.
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4