Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

07-07-2014, 09:28 AM
Originally Posted by Rosebud77 View Post
Exactly so and she is in a no win situation really. and clearly is a lady of strong views and who sticks to her moral code. Good for her.

And you all missed the punchline.. "and everyone cheered". bravo, lady, bravo!
It was not everyone at the show who cheered. It was everyone at the Clumber group where she stated her intentions who cheered.

[Last two paragraphs of the part of the article that I quoted.]
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2014, 10:54 AM
Originally Posted by Florence View Post
OR... maybe her dog does have an issue and she tries to cover it up. Clumber spaniels are not the most healthy of pedigree dogs!

We don't know, but the fact is, if you refuse to let a vet check your dog in a show, it looks like you've got something to hide.
I know the breeding world isn't the most honest world and I'm sure there are biased vets around, but when health comes first (and it SHOULD!) vet checks are essential and well I would rather a vet found something that later turns out not to be true than sire loads of puppies with a dog or have puppies from a bitch that possibly have something they could pass down to all those puppies.
If the glory of winning a championship with her dog comes before health, in my opinion, she shows no respect for her dog and other people's dogs and shouldn't be breeding in the first place.

Sheesh that is so insulting to the lady. She i not refusing vets; she is simply saying no to the particular vetting system there.

Clearly with very good reason to her and her fellow breeders.

To read you she is neglecting her dogs health which is clearly not the case. She is caring more for her dogs and remember she knows the system far better than you or I do

You are reading her wrong. It is the system she is objecting to here.
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2014, 10:54 AM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
It was not everyone at the show who cheered. It was everyone at the Clumber group where she stated her intentions who cheered.

even better! LOVE the rebels!
Florence
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-07-2014, 12:02 PM
Sheesh that is so insulting to the lady. She i not refusing vets; she is simply saying no to the particular vetting system there.

Clearly with very good reason to her and her fellow breeders.

To read you she is neglecting her dogs health which is clearly not the case. She is caring more for her dogs and remember she knows the system far better than you or I do

You are reading her wrong. It is the system she is objecting to here.
You don't know any more than I do, unless you personally know the lady. So for you to say it's only because she doesn't like the system but there's certainly nothing wrong with her dog is just as bad as me saying there's definitely something wrong with her dog and that's why she doesn't want a vet check. (and I never made a statement like that, I merely expressed my doubts over her motives)

You don't know her motives either. I'm not being insulting, I'm being suspicious. Sadly, some breeders try to hide faults and illnesses in their breeding dogs (and that's been proven) and that's why they've brought in additional vet checks. How can that be a bad thing.
Also, you don't know how much I know about the system, so please don't make statements like that.
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2014, 05:16 AM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post

Even better. We get the systems we allow after all. And it is the way almost everyone here waded in with suspicion and accusation...always the same when anyone makes waves to try to change things. Then later they realise how much the system needed changing...
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2014, 05:17 AM
You don't know any more than I do, unless you personally know the lady. So for you to say it's only because she doesn't like the system but there's certainly nothing wrong with her dog is just as bad as me saying there's definitely something wrong with her dog and that's why she doesn't want a vet check. (and I never made a statement like that, I merely expressed my doubts over her motives)

You don't know her motives either. I'm not being insulting, I'm being suspicious. Sadly, some breeders try to hide faults and illnesses in their breeding dogs (and that's been proven) and that's why they've brought in additional vet checks. How can that be a bad thing.
Also, you don't know how much I know about the system, so please don't make statements like that.
Florence
Almost a Veteran
Female 

08-07-2014, 10:10 AM
Very mature, Rosebud. Once again, you're just posting nonsense to get a reaction. Well done.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

08-07-2014, 10:42 AM

Yes that can be true, there are unscrupulous people in dog breeding just as with any other animal.

The point to these tests though will NOT highlight any hidden faults or illnesses, its all visual, or it should be, i.e eyelashes turned in , any lameness breathing difficulties... the vet check should not include ANY invasive instruments.

The breeds on the high profile list will all have a list of concerns, all visual concerns, the vet who is doing the check should adhere to this list, the problem is that dogs that have passed with flying colours with other checks or their own vets, can fail if said vet does not agree, that is the unfairness of these tests, they are ambiguous to say the least.

There may be no other reason to this refusal than that, she may not be trying to hide a fault and to be honest, most judges are aware of the criteria now so wont (or shouldnt ) give the ticket to a dog with obvious faults.
Florence
Almost a Veteran
Female 

08-07-2014, 11:08 AM
Originally Posted by Jackie View Post
Yes that can be true, there are unscrupulous people in dog breeding just as with any other animal.

The point to these tests though will NOT highlight any hidden faults or illnesses, its all visual, or it should be, i.e eyelashes turned in , any lameness breathing difficulties... the vet check should not include ANY invasive instruments.

The breeds on the high profile list will all have a list of concerns, all visual concerns, the vet who is doing the check should adhere to this list, the problem is that dogs that have passed with flying colours with other checks or their own vets, can fail if said vet does not agree, that is the unfairness of these tests, they are ambiguous to say the least.

There may be no other reason to this refusal than that, she may not be trying to hide a fault and to be honest, most judges are aware of the criteria now so wont (or shouldnt ) give the ticket to a dog with obvious faults.
No I agree with that, we have no proof or actual knowledge why she refused vet checks. But the standard of a dog is open to interpretation, which is one of the reasons why some features in some dogs have been bred to the extreme. If those features are 'according to standard' but clearly pose a health risk to an individual dog, some judges might still see it as part of the standard, while a vet should see it as a fault.
I understand that some vets in the industry will be biased/corrupted/paid off etc. (as it happens in any money making industry), I still think that if someone has a healthy dog with no features that compromise that health, they should pass a vet check and there shouldn't be a reason why to refuse it.

But I think my views on dog shows and some breeds are a bit extreme to the point where I think some breeds cannot be healthy in any way they are at the moment, wether they tick all points on a vet check list or not, and therefore shouldn't be bred from (unless other breeds are bred into to improve their health), for example the English Bulldog.

At the end of the day it's impossible for us to know why said lady refused the vet check no matter how much we speculate. But I think it's brought a valuable discussion to the table.
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2014, 05:53 AM
Very mature, Rosebud. Once again, you're just posting nonsense to get a reaction. Well done.
you assume that everyone thinks like you .So you accuse....

and then you get personal which is of course against forum rules.

I have my own knowledge and my own ideas. Which are as valid as anyone else's . Except to some

But then this thread IS about personal freedom isn't it? Which seems to scare folk.

if this is dogsey?

Reporting your post although I doubt that will avail.

You also posted this knowing the day I had and the sickness I have...
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >