View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-10-2013, 08:20 AM
I remember it going on around us here too in the 60s but it wasn't something my deeply religious grandparents encouraged they seemed to see it as devil worship ! Religious ourselves but can't quite see it that way we just see it as fun for the kids.

Think as long as it is kept light and fun it's fine.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-10-2013, 08:30 AM
Am reading about it now and seems rather than it spreading from the US to the UK, t'was the other way round so I was wrong about that. But wasn't far out with my thinking about the West Country it seems. From Wiki ...

All Hallows Eve.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halloween
Today's Halloween customs are thought to have been influenced by folk customs and beliefs from the Celtic-speaking countries, some of which have pagan roots, and others which may be rooted in Celtic Christianity
Whole load of info and discussion of it at the link - far too much to paste in or even read all the way through for me this morning!
twix
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-10-2013, 08:47 AM
It means nothing to me, if any kids want to brave a dark lane, and another dark schlep up to my house to be greeted with my dogs I guess they deserve a treat.

My SIL has just shared a pic with me, it's of a pumpkin with the words EFF OFF (polite version) carved in it shining brightly in a window. Very apt.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

31-10-2013, 08:53 AM
Maybe it is old age but I had never heard of Halloween as a child, and even before I left England in 1985 none of the local children seemed to "celebrate" it as we never had any come around trick or treating.

It is not celebrated here either, especially as pumpkins are for eating, not cutting into shapes with a candle inside them.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-10-2013, 09:15 AM
You can do both we have carved but are going to eat the rest.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-10-2013, 09:20 AM
Originally Posted by Tang View Post
If you celebrate it - or take part in any way ... WHY?

I grew up in London in the fifties and don't recall ANYTHING connected with Halloween - we had Firework Night in Nov and that was it until Xmas.

Is it just another American 'import' like 'mothers' day'? Just another reason to put more money into the coffers of the likes of Hallmark Cards and purveyors of Chinese tat? Or does it hold a special meaning for you? If so, what is the meaning of Halloween to you or your REASON to celebrate it?
What does it mean to me? A pain in the A**

As you say another American import,the celebrating of it anyway, although I disagree that Mothers day is an American import. It can apparently be traced back to the 17th century in England.
I shan't be opening my door this evening anyway
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-10-2013, 09:24 AM
I thought it was a celtic festival All hallows eve that we exported to USA ??
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-10-2013, 09:26 AM
Originally Posted by Tang View Post
I asked to see if any of you that 'do take part in it' and see it as an annual 'event' could say a bit about what it means to you or why you think it is celebrated. I mean Nov 5th is connected to Guy Fawkes and often called Guy Fawkes night. Not talking about 'holidays' that are official, like Xmas and Easter but these 'days' like Firework night and Halloween and Mothers Day and so on for which people don't get time off work and they aren't listed as official public holidays or feast days.

So far I've not seen anyone say they know where the roots of it lie or why it is celebrated other than a bit of fun (which I am all for - fun!)

It's not celebrated in Cyprus. But over in the UK earlier this month I was absolutely amazed at how big it has now become. I was in ASDA superstore in Chandlers Ford and they had about two whole aisles of Halloween stuff - all sorts from partyware to full fancy dress outfits. My neice told me they had even more but fell foul of the authorities for including 'mental patient' dress up kits and had to remove them.

Over in California some 20 odd years ago I was knocked out by how 'big' a thing it was there. Almost every house decorated - the trees too with huge illuminated flying witches - I was leaving just before the event and everyone was saying that it was such a pity that I was going to miss it.

My boys never 'did' Halloween but back then I do recall a few kids going round to ask for stuff and chucking eggs at doors where they met with nothing!

When I moved down to Cornwall and Jen was about 8 it seemed to be bigger down there (90s) we'd only been there a couple of months and Jen asked if she could go trick or treating and I said NO! Well the next day a few aged neighbours called round with sweeties and goodies for Jen because 'they hadn't seen her with the other kids and didn't want her to miss out'! How nice was that? After that and me realising it wasn't some 'dodgy' thing to let your kids do where they might be dragged inside a house by a psycho but a local celebration that both those participating in and those staying home and expecting them to call enjoyed - I did let her go and even made her an outfit and had her and her pals baking awful looking 'halloween cakes'. But I still didn't really have a clue what the 'meaning' of it was or what people were celebrating.

I sort of assume it has a 'witchy' connotation and back then thought that was why it was 'bigger' down in wild woolly Cornwall where quite a few folk are a bit witchy weird and wonderful!
Halloween (All Hallows Eve) has meaning in Christianity as the vigil of the Feast of All Saints, where Catholics celebrate the lives of saints. It may go back further to the Celtic festival of Samhain, Summer's End.

We do a pumpkin with the children because they enjoy it and they dress up if they want to, but they don't do trick or treating, which I hate. I remember doing a turnip with a candle when I was little but I wouldn't bother now if it wasn't for the children.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-10-2013, 09:36 AM
Has anyone seen the Google Doodle today?
Click the doodle and add things to the witches cauldron.
Little things please little minds, it's great fun!
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

31-10-2013, 10:07 AM
Where did the witches come in though?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >