Our sister sites
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

28-12-2013, 04:48 AM
Originally Posted by AshMan View Post
...[snip]...
We can afford to support the elderly here
Perhaps you do not read the same newspapers that I do.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-24581693

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-25097362

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...s-8889770.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...s-for-fun.html
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

28-12-2013, 05:32 AM
Another one for you - in England and not in Malawi, but according to you, the elderly are well supported in the UK.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/he...ft-on-bed.html
AshMan
Dogsey Senior
Male 

28-12-2013, 07:00 AM
As you insist on putting words into my mouth and are not interested in reason ill just say this

I did not say the elderly are always well looked after here but I stand by the fact that it's not due to us not having enough money. In none of the articles you posted was finance the issue so your argument does not follow at all.

Yes I know we have real need on our shores but as long as we have the means to protect those less fortunate then ourselves, children who die through lack of clean water, 10 year old girls who are forced to care for younger siblings after parents die of aids, sick people who's local hospital don't have the skills or equipment to properly treat them, only selfishness would keep us from doing so.
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2013, 07:30 AM
There are too many noses in the trough. When I heard the pathetic woman defending the outrageous salary of the head of the Red cross and saying that supporters of the organisation were happy with this I stopped my direct debit to them.

I prefer smaller charities. Our parish raises money to help people in dominaise, they are putting in wells and building toilets.

The country park is twinned with a park of the same name in Uganda, they are being helped to help themselves with tourism which provides many jobs, they have a new school just for starters. Local schools and businesses have become involved with the project, all monies raised go where it is needed and not to support someone in a lavish lifestyle.
KYes
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-12-2013, 07:52 AM
Read Ashman's post. then read your links

Can't see the connection really

how do your links relate to his comments?
Also your links are primarily about systemic failures and criminals not finance

as
regards foreign aid if India pays for aspace programme yet has no welfare for its starving populace it doesn't need our aid. this is the reason it is fake to compare their economic growth rate favourably with ours. if. we had no welfare in this country our rate would be higher too

and we should give foreign aid but NEVER to foreign governments . the rule should always be you don't get the aid unless British officials go to your country and distribute andto the people themselves .

and it should be contingent upon human rights . for example Denmark is third biggest aider to Uganda but they are going to cancel the aid as Uganda has just u.introduced life prison sentences for gays
Deltaforce Dog
New Member!
Female 

07-01-2014, 10:12 PM
When a government complains that it needs to save x amount of millions and seems determined to squeeze every last penny out of its citizen's, it seems a bit wrong to me to then go and give millions in aid to other countries.
Not saying I'm against foreign aid, I just feel that short term we need to fix our own messes first before we get back to helping others. The millions donated elsewhere could be used here.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2014, 12:42 PM
Originally Posted by KYes View Post
Read Ashman's post. then read your links

Can't see the connection really

how do your links relate to his comments?
Also your links are primarily about systemic failures and criminals not finance

as
regards foreign aid if India pays for aspace programme yet has no welfare for its starving populace it doesn't need our aid. this is the reason it is fake to compare their economic growth rate favourably with ours. if. we had no welfare in this country our rate would be higher too

and we should give foreign aid but NEVER to foreign governments . the rule should always be you don't get the aid unless British officials go to your country and distribute andto the people themselves .

and it should be contingent upon human rights . for example Denmark is third biggest aider to Uganda but they are going to cancel the aid as Uganda has just u.introduced life prison sentences for gays
I agree with most of your sentiments.

I find it quite odd Malka that you are so against 'foreign aid' living in a country - Israel - that receives billions in foreign aid annually from the US. More than they give to any other country. And there are loud calls in the US for this to be stopped now as Israel is not an impoverished nation nor still trying to establish its independence? But is quite affluent now. And there are Americans living on food stamps, Americans have a lower life expectancy than Israelis at birth, more than 20 nations have life expectancies below 60 years, and many also have appallingly high infant mortality rates. It's over 80 in Israel.

Recent article on the subject here:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/steven...b_4251742.html

Do you call for this 'foreign aid' to your country to be stopped too?

Regarding the 'wealth of nations' - US ranks top of the wealthiest 100 by GDP and very high on the list of GDP per capita. UK is right up there too.

As someone already said - poverty as perceived by someone living in the US or the UK is not the same thing as poverty perceived by someone living in the poorest of poor countries.

This list deals only with the richest
http://www.worldsrichestcountries.com/
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

08-01-2014, 01:49 PM
This is the Discussions & Debates section. It is not restricted by where a person lives. Therefore I have as much right to post in this section, with my thoughts, as anyone else, whether I live in Israel or not.

Just as much right as you have Tang, living in Cyprus.
Apache
Dogsey Senior
Male 

16-01-2014, 08:32 AM
Originally Posted by Meg View Post
They were discussing this on the radio this morning and it was suggested that 45 million spent on a space program is a drop in the ocean and won't feed India's poor but will give aspirations to many.

Not sure the poor will agree with that...
The £45 million was for one launch.
"India is stepping up its space program with a higher budget, the launch of a new satellite and a proposed mission to Mars. The country's space agency will attempt ten space missions by November 2013, bringing its total budget to $1.3 billion."

http://rt.com/news/india-space-satellite-budget-331/
Apache
Dogsey Senior
Male 

16-01-2014, 08:43 AM
Originally Posted by Deltaforce Dog View Post
When a government complains that it needs to save x amount of millions and seems determined to squeeze every last penny out of its citizen's, it seems a bit wrong to me to then go and give millions in aid to other countries.
Not saying I'm against foreign aid, I just feel that short term we need to fix our own messes first before we get back to helping others. The millions donated elsewhere could be used here.
Agreed. The problem here is that when Cameron was in opposition he wanted to make the Conservative party seem a more caring party. He therefore announced that the foreign aid budget would rise to 0.7% of GDP and would be ring fenced.
This was before the deep recession hit the UK. Hence we are now in the position where this money has to be allocated to foreign countries each year, or thrown away depending how you look at it.
He should have adopted a more pragmatic approach and said "well that was then, but now things are different and we can no longer afford to give away £11 billion a year".
No one would have judged him badly for that, but instead we have billions pouring out of the UK every year, given to very questionable dictatorships and countries (India) that don't want the money, even calling the amount "a drop in the ocean".
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >