13-08-2011, 09:30 AM
euw
I mean ... euw!
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

13-08-2011, 10:00 AM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Maybe they ought to consider bringing back apprenticeships for the young people who want to work, with the Government footing the bill or even going half way with the employer in the private sector. Apprenticeships worked well for many years, it gave many people good working opportunities I could never understand why it doesn't happen anymore.
Well I've keept out of this so far but I must come in here and say that I entirely agree, I started my working life as an apprentice, we got about half what the adults in each department received, we had to attend evening college, and we had to do all the dirty jobs and make the tea for the men, in addition in my case I had to get up at 05:30 every day to catch a rickety old bus with no heating and travel 30 miles to the firm with whom I was apprenticed BUT in those five years I learned a hell of a lot about my trade and about how business works since I had to do six months in every department (Production, design, drawing office, purchasing, accounts, quality control, and more) at the end of my 'time' I had a good basic knowledge not just about my proffession but about all aspects of running a business and it has served me well ever since.

Then the government came along in the nineties and thought they could set up better trainning courses, all that happened was that the people on the dole had to attend to get their dole money, Sheree's thread of two years ago shows what sort of 'attitude' these people have, there is no incentive to learn anything, no desire to get out of their nice cosy 'rut' where the government will take care of you no matter what you do or don't do, just go back and have a look at her thread and you'll see that all these government trainning schemes are just a way of manipulating the unemployment statistics the majority of the participants (Note that I did not say all!) know how to 'play' the system, they know how to 'play' one department off against another, and they sure as hell know how to contact a lawyer if they are treated with even the slightest hint of hardship or heaven knows what other kind of infringement of their human rights

Government trainning schemes (Most of them) do not work, five or in some cases seven years of hard graft at low wages and studying in the evenings do work but you'll never get all these looters and arsonists to understand that, after all it means doing some work for a change doesn't it
hectorsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2011, 03:52 PM
Originally Posted by dizzi View Post
How on EARTH can you possibly justify your gripe wiht the school office being used to blame the riots?

I DID NOT BLAME THIS ON THE RIOTS!
This happened 3 Bloody years ago

Utter utter ridiculous, very very offensive to the teachers on here, crap.

Only you deary

Know why I can't have kids? Because my weight spiraled out of control after I entered teaching and my mental health deteriorated so badly because of parents like you pick pick pick picking away at the teachers for the failures of the whole school system and I can't get back on an even keel because of it.

Know why I still cry myself to sleep at night, have a stammer when stressed, have panic attacks and live such an awfully sad life that I contemplate suicide on a daily basis and the only reason I'm still alive is because of my pets - because I put so much of my heart and soul into trying to turn some kids who were going off the rails around and keep them from NOT being the sort out on the streets this week - and trying to protect the rest of the class from their violent outbursts that I ended up having a nervous breakdown by the age of 30 and I've never fully recovered.

Basically my life and my health and any joy I had in my existence were destroyed because I gave my all to those kids - and parents like you who just pick pick pick gripe and complain still didn't see it as enough... perhaps one day when people total up the teachers driven to actual suicide - then they might when their bickering, sniping, blaming for everything has actually had the price of lives... and it has.

Ban me if you want to for that. Someone had to say it and I stand by what's said.
And I'm going to say this.....I'm sorry for what has happened to you, it must be awful BUT I'm not attacking Teachers for the riots, I'm entiltled to my opinion and my experience of schools over the last 20 years and its not been good.
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2011, 09:09 PM
Originally Posted by Losos View Post
Well I've keept out of this so far but I must come in here and say that I entirely agree, I started my working life as an apprentice, we got about half what the adults in each department received, we had to attend evening college, and we had to do all the dirty jobs and make the tea for the men, in addition in my case I had to get up at 05:30 every day to catch a rickety old bus with no heating and travel 30 miles to the firm with whom I was apprenticed BUT in those five years I learned a hell of a lot about my trade and about how business works since I had to do six months in every department (Production, design, drawing office, purchasing, accounts, quality control, and more) at the end of my 'time' I had a good basic knowledge not just about my proffession but about all aspects of running a business and it has served me well ever since.

Then the government came along in the nineties and thought they could set up better trainning courses, all that happened was that the people on the dole had to attend to get their dole money, Sheree's thread of two years ago shows what sort of 'attitude' these people have, there is no incentive to learn anything, no desire to get out of their nice cosy 'rut' where the government will take care of you no matter what you do or don't do, just go back and have a look at her thread and you'll see that all these government trainning schemes are just a way of manipulating the unemployment statistics the majority of the participants (Note that I did not say all!) know how to 'play' the system, they know how to 'play' one department off against another, and they sure as hell know how to contact a lawyer if they are treated with even the slightest hint of hardship or heaven knows what other kind of infringement of their human rights

Government trainning schemes (Most of them) do not work, five or in some cases seven years of hard graft at low wages and studying in the evenings do work but you'll never get all these looters and arsonists to understand that, after all it means doing some work for a change doesn't it
Well said H
Page 9 of 9 « First < 6 7 8 9