register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: What do you think of the Grand National?
I think it should stay but changes need to be made 70 56.45%
I think it should stay with no changes 8 6.45%
I bet on it 16 12.90%
I don't bet on it 29 23.39%
I don't care one way or the other. 1 0.81%
I think it should be abolished 43 34.68%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 2 of 29 < 1 2 3 4 5 12 > Last »
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2011, 02:39 PM
Most of the horses who fall do seem to do so at the first few. Which is probably due to the number of horses most of the time, and with falls like the one Dooneys Gate had that was like a pile up! I do think the race is too long though and some horses look to really struggle to clear the last jumps as they tire.

The horses also suffered with the heat, made worse by the length.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2011, 02:41 PM
Can I ask, to those think it should stay with no changes, why?
Reisu
Almost a Veteran
Female 

10-04-2011, 03:00 PM
I voted for changes needing to be made, and that I don't bet on it. In any case I'm sure that we all agree, the horses welfare should always be paramount
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2011, 03:24 PM
I hate the race so much, too many horses have lost thier lives over the years. I would never bet on or support it in anyway, and although I would love to see it abolished I didn't tick that box, I ticked for changes to be made as I don't want to be a complete kill joy.
Firstly the race should be run in heats and timed with the winner the one that done it in the shortest time. This would stop them all crashing into each because there is too many racing.
The jumps should be made smaller and they should only go round once not twice.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2011, 03:44 PM
I also hate how they make such little mention of Ornais and Dooneys Gate afterwards (on the programme). Its great for those who win, but when 2 horses have died I think they should be the focus. Two beautiful animals have lost their life in a horrible way, I couldnt give a stuff about the winning jockey, owners, how much money the bookies made and all the celebrating, when 2 horses are lying dead on the track!
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2011, 03:51 PM
I voted stay with changes & that I bet on it - well I always have done in the past.
I found yesterday's events really upsetting & I was getting annoyed at how they took so long to actually mention it & then quickly skirted over it.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2011, 03:52 PM
Ive not ticked any, really cannot be bothered.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2011, 03:56 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Ive not ticked any, really cannot be bothered.
Strange that Dawn, given you inspired me to post it, with your comment on the other thread that the majority of the public are for it. I presented you with a yougov poll that suggested most people want to see changes...and now this.

If you can't be bothered Dawn...why spend a few days commenting in support of the race on the other thread...and why even bother to come on here, let alone to post.

I thought you were bigger than that.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2011, 03:59 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
Strange that Dawn, given you inspired me to post it, with your comment on the other thread that the majority of the public are for it. I presented you with a yougov poll that suggested most people want to see changes...and now this.

If you can't be bothered Dawn...why spend a few days commenting in support of the race on the other thread...and why even bother to come on here, let alone to post.

I thought you were bigger than that.
Strange, really? I honestly dont care Ramble, part time "let ban this and that" folk really dont make a difference. Like I say, if you REALLY cared you would do something EVERY day of the year, not just one, its laughable, really it is.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2011, 04:15 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Strange, really? I honestly dont care Ramble, part time "let ban this and that" folk really dont make a difference. Like I say, if you REALLY cared you would do something EVERY day of the year, not just one, its laughable, really it is.
Yes, you've said that before Dawn. It would be nice to hear something actually constructive from you as frankly you saying that constantly is getting dull.
As I said on the other thread, I used to enjoy our debates, they were always healthy, interesting and thought provoking, despite the fact that we came at things from opposite ends of the spectrum. Sadly, your style seems to have changed. That's a real shame Dawn as I used to have totally differing opinions to you, yet have absolute respect for you.
You don't seem to be able to offer much to defend your arguments other than be patronising in the extreme and mocking people. That's a real shame.
Page 2 of 29 < 1 2 3 4 5 12 > Last »