View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
jols
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-10-2010, 12:43 PM

1 in 5 public sector workers to go. Discuss?

I say good.

AND stop paying them sick pay and why should i subsidise their pension.

Too many pen pushers walking around doing nothing.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2010, 12:58 PM
Yep! Totally agree too!! Cameron said he was going to do a bit of sifting through Parliament didn't he, and I wouldn't be surprised if some of the actual mp's start getting outed too!

They're highly overpaid, there's too many of them, some of them can't even warrant their existence imo. Afterall, how many people does it take to push a pen around or move a mouse!!!

So far, this Government is doing everything right for me, and the best place to start is in-house, well done mate!
Ang3l
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-10-2010, 01:03 PM
I agree and with the child benifit cap so far so good David is all I can think. Now he needs to say if you weren't born here and are claiming benefits here's a plane ticket home thanks for visiting and goodbye!! No ifs buts or maybes. May sound harsh but how many people are here just forour benefits system?? Also the NHS ...no NI paid no NHS simple they get a bill they pay b4 treatment or go home and get treated.

I think David is starting very well and I hope he keeps it up we need a good few years of a firm government to sort this country out and I hope he has the balls to do it
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

20-10-2010, 01:05 PM
Originally Posted by jols View Post
I say good.

AND stop paying them sick pay and why should i subsidise their pension.

Too many pen pushers walking around doing nothing.
I find that comment really offensive. My Husband is a public sector worker and of of Friday is redundant.

He has worked for an LEA for the last 12 years has rarely taken time off and sometimes with late meetings and traveling his working day can total 12+ hours. He did 4 years in college with a young family to get a degree to become a teacher which he did for 12 years and then pressures of no support and lack of self esteem forced him to quit he has done an invaluable job helping schools with problems and the young of the borough.

His job has not been looked into just the amount of money they need to save and axing people without any consideration that these people are actually needed to help support staff within the local schools and the young people of the borough.

They couldn't even spell their names right when dishing out the redundancy notices let alone the skill these people have.

Your comments just about sum up that most people do not know what is going on and that the jobs being axed are actually a tragedy and disaster waiting to happen.

I fear I am going to have stay away from these discussions and keep my ears closed when out otherwise I am going to find myself arguing in public places like I did when he quit teaching and I over heard some ignorant man slagging of teachers by saying they were having a lay in and that these
teacher training days as they were then called were an excuse for a lie in for them when in fact they were actually training and had no choice in the matter. I had to tell him if he doesn't do the job does not know any teachers let alone live with one it was best he kept quiet.

I then made my apologies to the rest of the shop and left with him standing there with his jaw on the floor.

Please consider there are going to be a lot of people without a job and it is going to be an ongoing thing over the next 3-4 years and you will be offending quite a few people with comments that you have made.

I will not apologise for my rant my Husband is excellent at his job and the Local Borough have lost a hard working conscientious worker.
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

20-10-2010, 01:09 PM
As a former civil servant, I can't possibly agree with this. Civil servants are always the first target in this kind of exercise, as the general public doesn't really have a clue what they do - yet no government since before the Romans has managed to function without them. BTW, civil servants are barely paid a pittance, so you ain't gonna save all that much by dumping them. Dump the useless politicians instead - they do NOTHING.

Snorri
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

20-10-2010, 01:11 PM
Originally Posted by jols View Post
and why should i subsidise their pension.

Because they work for YOU.

Snorri
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2010, 01:19 PM
Cameron (and the other one) are smart enough to know WHO is and who isn't needed, and I remember them both saying we don't NEED half of our mp's in parliament, they cost us an absolute fortune and I strongly suspect half of them don't warrant their existence, just like Snorri has said dump half of them at least!

As for public sector workers, if one person can do the job of two people, saving us taxpayers some money, then I'm afraid of course, I'm all for it, I have to be, we're taxpayers! He needs to do exactly what he is doing, sifting it all through, and public sector workers aren't and shouldn't be excluded from redundancies when it's happening in the private sector. My husband was made redundant THREE times in a year when he was and always has been fully qualified in his job, but that's what happens in life isn't it, NO job is 100% guaranteed surely, not even if you own the company!
kobi
Dogsey Senior
Male 

20-10-2010, 01:24 PM
Too easy to slag people off.
Just because Labour spoiled most pensions, does not mean we hit those who still have.
Levelling down does not improve our situation.
People in these jobs pay taxes too.
So now we pay them benefits instead.
Look in any factory car park and its empty at night when only the producers are at work. Its full during the day with office staff etc. Does not mean they are not needed.
As I said an easy target
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

20-10-2010, 01:46 PM
As Kobi has said, public sector workers pay taxes too - in fact, it could be said that they pay their own wages!

This is just another case of Tory twats making policy based on the spoutings of organisations like the News of the World. Let's have a bash at people who AREN'T EVEN ALLOWED to express their opinion in public!

Snorri
(fizzingly furious)
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-10-2010, 01:51 PM
I'm all for cut backs if they mean we have more cost effective public services, after all it is us paying for them. However I do feel that the ones losing their jobs will be the ones further down the pay scale rather than those nearer the top and we will still have waste. The ones at the top will be making the decisions about who stays and who goes. I do object to their gilt edged pensions too, especially when we are contributing to them. They earn enough to contribute to their own pensions. I agree with Philip Green when he advocates central purchasing and using their purchasing power to get more for the money available, but I could have told them that why pay him to do and say what's blindingly obvious.
I do think there is an element of smoke and mirrors and for the record I voted conservative.
Page 1 of 27 1 2 3 4 11 > Last »