Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
markopolo
New Member!
Male 

28-07-2008, 08:42 PM

german sheppard cannot hold his wee

hi all hope someone can help my 10 year old german sheppard has started to lick his own wee in garden, then when he is inside house started to pee on floor, i have tried to stop him licking his wee and seems to be better is this the problem that he is licking his wee to cause him no to be able to hold his wee hope someone can help many thanks mark
ShaynLola
Almost a Veteran
Female 

28-07-2008, 08:46 PM
I doubt that the two are related somehow.

However, if he is weeing more frequently than normal, this may be an indication that there is something wrong. I'd advise you to collect a urine sample and take it and the dog along to the vets to get checked out. Might just be something simple like a urinary tract infection but best to be on the safe side.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-07-2008, 06:26 AM
You need to see a vet, it could be infection which can soon be dealt with. Some elderly dogs do become incontinent, particularly if castrated, but even this will responded to hormone tables so again it is a case for the vet.

Your dog is licking in an attempt to be clean, but the leakage is not something he can control.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-07-2008, 07:46 AM
Take a sample along to your vets, you don't have to take your dog, just hand it to the receptionist and ask them to get a vet to check it. You can then ring up later in the day for the results. If its an infection they can leave you out some tablets to collect. That way you also don't have to pay for a consultation.
If the test comes back clear then i would make an appointment to se the vet as something is obviously not right.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-07-2008, 08:50 AM
This could be old age or it could be more serious - the dog needs to be seen by a vet. It could be loads of things from prostate trouble to kidney problems. Please get him to the vet - hopefully it won`t be anything bad. Is he licking because he`s distressed about the incontinence, do you think?
I have an old boy who leaks a bit - it`s just old age: deep sleep and reduced mobility - and I`ve got him 2 waterproof beds. One goes in the wash if he has an accident.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-07-2008, 09:22 AM
I would take a sample & the dog to the vets as the vet will need to examine him & I would do it asap