View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lorna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2012, 09:38 AM
I felt the urge to have a baby on two occasions, my step brother and sister in law were having a baby both times, my body decided it was broody, my head thankfully led me to my senses quickly! I would never choose to devote 18 years of my life to bringing up a life, my step children are 10 (nearly 11) and 12 and that is more than enough for me. We're lucky they're getting older, I don't know how I would have coped had my wife had younger children, if she'd have had 15 I think we'd have had to have 2 homes, one for me and one for the children!
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

19-01-2012, 10:07 AM
I watched, and like others felt the family who ran the bakery were actually a seemingly very nice family, good values and morals etc. The others, bit strange.
I had an aunt, she passed away last year, who had 15 children (devout catholics see), and they always managed to make ends meet, have food on the table, the mortgage being paid, well mannered children etc. It's different strokes for different folks, though interestingly all the cousins I have from this aunt only went on to have a maximum of 3 children each so
Lorna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2012, 11:31 AM
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
I watched, and like others felt the family who ran the bakery were actually a seemingly very nice family, good values and morals etc. The others, bit strange.
I had an aunt, she passed away last year, who had 15 children (devout catholics see), and they always managed to make ends meet, have food on the table, the mortgage being paid, well mannered children etc. It's different strokes for different folks, though interestingly all the cousins I have from this aunt only went on to have a maximum of 3 children each so
That is interesting that they didn't have large families themselves!

The bakery family did seem much nicer, the others were most bizarre!
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2012, 01:10 PM
I watched it because things like this fascinate me. I've never had any desire to have children, never will do, so it's interesting to see things from another perspective.

Some people like children. My sister is in her late twenties and is having her 5th child and I think she's crazy considering they only have a 2 bedroom property, a 4 seater car and had to rehome her dog partly due to lack of money to feed it. Even if she was a millionaire i'd still think she was crazy.

I do wonder though if the UK wasnt so generous and there was no welfare state, would these people reconsider their position on the number of children they have?
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

19-01-2012, 01:29 PM
Originally Posted by Lorna View Post
I felt the urge to have a baby on two occasions, my step brother and sister in law were having a baby both times, my body decided it was broody, my head thankfully led me to my senses quickly! I would never choose to devote 18 years of my life to bringing up a life, my step children are 10 (nearly 11) and 12 and that is more than enough for me. We're lucky they're getting older, I don't know how I would have coped had my wife had younger children, if she'd have had 15 I think we'd have had to have 2 homes, one for me and one for the children!
Do you think yo ustop bringing children up once they reach 18 parenting is for life not just 18 years!
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

19-01-2012, 01:53 PM
Queen Victoria had nine children. My maternal grandmother was one of thirteen children. There are people where I live who have ten or more children.

My daughter has five.

I only had the two but then again I miscarried most of my pregnancies and left my husband when I was ten weeks pregnant with my son, so who knows how many I might have ended up with? I definitely wanted more than just the two.
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

19-01-2012, 02:01 PM
My dad is one of 18 ,,,
1 of his sisters had 15 ....
Good Catholics ....lol
Lorna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2012, 02:37 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Do you think yo ustop bringing children up once they reach 18 parenting is for life not just 18 years!
Umm, they move out at 18....both kids know that at 18 they go to University, they can come to stay in the holidays, until they graduate and then they're on their own! Exactly how it was with me, I moved out at 17 (I'm a summer baby) I went to University and never went home, I briefly went back to my mum and dad's after my mum died for a few weeks to be with dad, and then I left again, I've always had my own apartments, houses, and now I'm married with our own house, no contribution by my father for anything! I went back to University prior to getting married when I was still single, when I wasn't at Uni I was working. My wife moved out when she was 18, she's never stayed with her parents since, they've never contributed for anything for her or her children....

I know this is slightly off-topic, but Rachy works with girls who are slightly younger than me, who still live with their parents, have their tea cooked for them, don't pay rent, one even has her own living room/bed/bath in their newly remodeled house - deliberately made for her. I think that is utterly ridiculous! I would never have wanted to do that with my parents, 18 years is more than enough time to dedicate to raising a child, 18 they're an adult and they can fend for themselves. You have children for life, but they don't need looking after once they finish school at 18! What does that teach children if they're parented after they become adults themselves?!
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2012, 02:38 PM
Originally Posted by Leanne_W View Post
I do wonder though if the UK wasnt so generous and there was no welfare state, would these people reconsider their position on the number of children they have?
Definitely! People would then have to seriously think about how they could afford them.

Helen
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

19-01-2012, 03:02 PM
Originally Posted by Lorna View Post
...[snip]...Umm, they move out at 18....both kids know that at 18 they go to University, they can come to stay in the holidays, until they graduate and then they're on their own!
Thus speaks someone who is not a mother...
Closed Thread
Page 4 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »