Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2011, 02:27 PM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
I liked her, i thought it was great that she wanted to get a job, and stayed in education longer than the rest... and when they went to the paintball she had to fill out all the forms coz the rest couldnt read but she could.
What I don't get is why they can't read or write? It said the girls get pulled out of school at 11-12 to learn to clean, but surely most people can read or write by then anyway?
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2011, 05:38 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Domestic violence is wrong in any culture!

Last weeks episode showed the true culture of the "traveler"

A macho mans world, where woman are treated as second class, along with over 50 % of woman being violently abused in their marriage

Not to mention to total disregard for "outsiders"

Those boys going to Appleby, proved that, some one gets run over in a road accident, and they go up on the pavement to get past..saying, they dont want to be held up , why should they wait, they dont know said victim.
Well now you've put it in that context - of course I don't agree with that. There was something my OH said about travellers/gypsies, that made me say that and for the life of me I cannot remember what it was.
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2011, 08:06 PM
Originally Posted by vilmusius View Post
It is very different The only thing I didn't like, they didn't explain the difference between Romanian gypsies and Irish travelers. The tittle says "gypsy wedding", though it is about travelers.
This really ANNOYS me !! some people think these people are the same as Romany gypsies and they are not. I find it quite offensive, i come from a Romany background and we are nothing like these travellers, most of these are what are termed as "pikeys" so i think the word gyspy in the title is somewhat insulting personally
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2011, 08:12 PM
Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
As I have some friends who are true Romany Gypsies I am actually offended by the programme

If they had called it My Big Fat Irish Traveller Wedding that would have been far more acceptable as they are the people being shown in the programme. As yet they haven't even shown any Gypsies

There is a petition running by the Gypsy community to get the programme stopped, that is how angry they are about it!

Having said all that we do watch it purely so we can laugh at the ridiculous dresses Just goes to show money can't buy you taste

Big Fat Pikey Wedding would be more appropriate, it frustrates me that people think Romanies and travellers are the same thing
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2011, 08:17 PM
Originally Posted by madmare View Post
I agree I feel quite offended too as a descendent of Romany gypsies. My grandmother, and her family were all true Romany gypsies, not what you are seeing in this program.
Its annoying isn't it !!!! i have a Romany background too
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2011, 08:31 PM
I saw some of these before but I got into this series quite late. I had a really bad cold over the weekend so we decided to see what we had been missing and watched 4 on demand. Lordy is all I can say to most of what I have seen

Why would anyone want to wear a 10 stone dress (or whatever it weighed) and need to have a fire exstinguisher on standby in case your dress caught fire. I felt sorry for the girl with that hideous pink princess dress she wore to her communion. She could hardly walk in it and all of the other children were laughing at her

The children dressed like that and dancing like that really disturbs me. Some of those girls were younger than my niece and yet they looked like prostitues.

The 'grabbing' that goes on is shocking and yet perfectly normal in that culture. How can it be considered acceptable for children (and that is what some of them still are) to be assaulted like that Shame the pervs don't try that with a non travelling girl and go home with a black eye and a bloody nose

I guess I never really realised how downtrodden the women were, I always thought that irish travellers were quite feisty but apparently not. I was saddened by the 13 year old getting ready to take over the housework from her older sister who was getting married 'it's woman's work so I have to do it'. But you're not a woman, you're still a child. Where is your mother and what does she do all day? Who the hell spends all day cleaning anyway?

I am quite shocked to see that all of the girls from a very young age appear to have had boob jobs.

Also, the biggest of all - what was the non-traveller bride's mother - was it a drag queen?
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2011, 09:09 PM
An owl carrying the ring, I think I have heard everything now
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

08-02-2011, 09:11 PM
That's normal in harry potter land ..
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2011, 09:12 PM
Originally Posted by Lionhound View Post
An owl carrying the ring, I think I have heard everything now
Thanks for clarifying, I thought that something had gone wrong with my hearing at that point!!!
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2011, 10:16 AM
For someone with no knowledge of the difference between Traveller and Romany...can someone who knows please explain?

I felt sorry this week for the girl who was working in a hotel and had to give that up to get married, she was clearly sad
Also, people have mentioned tax...so they don't pay their way at all? No wonder the man trying to barter a couch didn't want to discuss money. I don't think it's from pride or modesty in that case, it's not wanting to declare what they earn surely?
I'm all for people have a culture, but all cultures surely have to fit into the law? People from other countries who come here and get jobs have to pay tax right? Or do they not? I hate paying tax - don't we all - but I understand why I have to and don't try and avoid it. Grr on the people who are getting a free ride on my money
Page 5 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >