View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

01-02-2011, 05:03 PM
I got to be honest most travellers i met are thieves, scamers and nasty nasty people .
I have stopped kids and i mean 6 and 7 year olds sent in by parents to steal i have caught girls using their
babies buggys to steal.
Violence and intimadtion to staff members ment nothing to these people .
And they give the irish a bad name ..
This tv show is showing one side of their lifestyle and glossing over the other...
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2011, 11:29 PM
Originally Posted by Insomnia View Post
I have mixed view on it. I find it interesting to learn about different cultures, I like the high morals they have...but I did find it disturbing seeing such young girls (6) dancing in such a provocative manner wearing such adult clothes.
I do like the family together-ness shown, but am confused about them being 'travellers' but wanting to stay static in one location.
Originally Posted by Reisu View Post
On one hand, they have every right to live as they wish and I fully respect that. On the other, their attitudes towards women were horrifying
I started watching this last week and I have to agree with these posts. Watching those children gyrate like they were last week made me feel sick tbh, I almost turned it off!

Thankfully there doesn't seem to be too much of that yet this week, but I'm pretty shocked by the admission that most of the girls can't read or write!

They all seem like lovely people, but it does seem to me that the traveller world is a mans wold and the women just do as they're told!

Wouldn't suit me, put it that way!
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2011, 07:21 AM
Me and my OH watched it the other day.

My OH thinks it's wrong. I said to him - it's only "wrong" in your eyes because you weren't brought up like that. You can't say a culture is wrong, just because you don't agree with it.

Personally, although it wouldn't suit me, I quite like learning how other people live. I think it was designed to show people that not all gypsy's are bad people, however portraying what they do, isn't helping them. The men are quite frankly d*cks, but the women seem like genuine nice people, just misunderstood by us otherwise cultured people.

I did like seeing little bits from Appleby Horse Fair of the horses - not that there was much.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-02-2011, 08:47 AM
Originally Posted by SLB View Post
Me and my OH watched it the other day.

My OH thinks it's wrong. I said to him - it's only "wrong" in your eyes because you weren't brought up like that. You can't say a culture is wrong, just because you don't agree with it.Personally, although it wouldn't suit me, I quite like learning how other people live. I think it was designed to show people that not all gypsy's are bad people, however portraying what they do, isn't helping them. The men are quite frankly d*cks, but the women seem like genuine nice people, just misunderstood by us otherwise cultured people.

I did like seeing little bits from Appleby Horse Fair of the horses - not that there was much.
Domestic violence is wrong in any culture!

Last weeks episode showed the true culture of the "traveler"

A macho mans world, where woman are treated as second class, along with over 50 % of woman being violently abused in their marriage

Not to mention to total disregard for "outsiders"

Those boys going to Appleby, proved that, some one gets run over in a road accident, and they go up on the pavement to get past..saying, they dont want to be held up , why should they wait, they dont know said victim.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2011, 09:32 AM
Originally Posted by vilmusius View Post
It is very different The only thing I didn't like, they didn't explain the difference between Romanian gypsies and Irish travelers. The tittle says "gypsy wedding", though it is about travelers.
No I wish they had explained the difference between the traditional Romany gypsies and the travelers.
The ones they show seem somewhere between the two, although more like travelers.
The Romanys were very hardworking people with high morals, very clean and very proud. Unlike a lot of todays travelers, although some I was chatting to last summer were very nice.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2011, 09:49 AM
I didn`t watch the latest one because it had the Horse Fair in and I can`t stand watching those boys haul and thrash those horses round.
I find the series interesting because it is quite clever - it does show a very selective view (I see it has sidestepped the crime and lawlessness issue entirely) but in doing that I think we get a more open view of the life. Which is very patriarchal and about men controlling women.
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

04-02-2011, 10:17 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Domestic violence is wrong in any culture!

Last weeks episode showed the true culture of the "traveler"

A macho mans world, where woman are treated as second class, along with over 50 % of woman being violently abused in their marriage

Not to mention to total disregard for "outsiders"

Those boys going to Appleby, proved that, some one gets run over in a road accident, and they go up on the pavement to get past..saying, they dont want to be held up , why should they wait, they dont know said victim.
Ty ,this is the side i see the total disregard for anyone but their own ..
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2011, 11:01 AM
ive watched all of them, and looking forward to next weeks as it focuses more on the men, so will be interested to see what get says.

it did shock me that they dont really dont know how to read and write, but it didnt seem to bother them, like the girl said she knew enough to read doctors appointments, letters etc, which to them is enough. they grow up wanting to be wives and mothers and we shouldnt judge them because thats what they want to do.

i felt sorry for the 13 year old who had to take over from her sister, she looked so overwhelmed with everything she had to do. but i admired the young girl who had a job in that cake shop, didnt want to get married just yet and had stayed in school.
spockky boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2011, 11:17 AM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
I didn`t watch the latest one because it had the Horse Fair in and I can`t stand watching those boys haul and thrash those horses round.
I find the series interesting because it is quite clever - it does show a very selective view (I see it has sidestepped the crime and lawlessness issue entirely) but in doing that I think we get a more open view of the life. Which is very patriarchal and about men controlling women.
When saw the ad, I started crying... I did watch episode though, but luckily they didn't really show any of Appleby. Bf was keep a strict eye on if they did show mroe the HF, as I get (VERY) angry about how many people treat the horses. It sickened me watching those carriage horses and pacers hammered up and down those roads infact on the last episode, I noticed one of the horses (Looked very much like a standardbred) lame in harness!

Makes me think my own pony could of at some point been sold at one of the HF in Ireland before he came to me in London, which would explain a few things
Ollies mum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-02-2011, 01:07 PM
Fascinating but quite disturbing in many ways.
Things that stuck in my mind were comments such as"if the girls are still not married by about 19 or 20 theyll be left on the shelf,so they have to make sure that at every celebration the dress to attract the boys".This obviously starts at a very young age -To see very young girls being spray tanned ,then dressed in hardly anything and dancing like they did made me feel quite sick .Couldnt believe some were only aged 6.
I thought the "grabbing" was shocking too and quite violent-again to show women their place.
No wonder there seemed such a lot of support from the women to each other,I suppose they are bringing up their daughters in that way because its the way they were brought up.
On a lighter note
I dont think Ive ever seen to so many false eyelashes ,glitzy jewellery and so many dresses with their owners popping out of them.The poor bride with the HUGE dress couldnt even get near her new husband for the 1st dance because her dress was so big and weighed so much.She nearly never made it down the aisle for the same reason.I was waiting for them to drop the wedding cake which was 4 ft high and about 15 ft wide,complete with a Barbie , Ken and crystal coach.
Did anyone else notice the baby with the diamante encrusted dummy?
I nearly turned off when the Appleby horse fair was mentioned and couldnt watch the scenes they showed however short-its just so cruel.
As with many of the Reality type programmes now,this will probably have huge numbers of people watching,as it can be quite surreal.
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >