Our sister sites
gizooty
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-11-2009, 10:44 PM

Weight pulling ??

hello everyone...
ok so i cant find info on this ANYWHARE... help
im thinking of doing this with my pup A-ZEAF.
he is a 7mth old bearded colli x bulldog x border colli x Gsd..
he LOVES doing work, eg... obedience and racing...
yes i race him along with my two afghan hounds..

so if anyone here knows anything else on it,,, clubs ect ect plese mail me bk.. thanks...
annmarie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-11-2009, 10:56 PM
hello wow can we see a pic please bet he is a smasher xx
gizooty
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-11-2009, 11:06 PM
im new.. and have no idea how to post... i have MILLLLIONS of pics hahaha ill go to the picture section see if i can do it there
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-11-2009, 10:14 AM
Weight pulling is designed to make a dog fail - you basically see how far you can go until the poor creature can`t succeed. It also puts a huge strain on the heart and joints.
Is this really something you want to do to your puppy?
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-11-2009, 12:49 PM
Instead of weight pulling which is certainly not something for a youngster to do why not look into carting. Your dog is too young yet but if you found a group that did this you could learn the things you need,
Muddiwarx
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-11-2009, 05:33 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Weight pulling is designed to make a dog fail - you basically see how far you can go until the poor creature can`t succeed. It also puts a huge strain on the heart and joints.
My dogs LOVE weight pull - and done properly they never fail - with experience you drop out before your dog can't succeed and when your dog can't - the people in charge of the trolley help the dog to pull it though with a push - then the dog is rewarded as always.

Until you have experienced this type of canine sport it is difficult to imagine it but mine LOVE it

To the OP if you email me I can guide you = but I'd wait till pup is a bit older
tabsmagic
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-11-2009, 05:52 PM
sounds horrid!!!

[QUOTE=Muddiwarx;1826385]My dogs LOVE weight pull -

Until you have experienced this type of canine sport it is difficult to imagine it but mine LOVE it
QUOTE]

Oh- thank goodness for that!! phew......
have been following this one as never seen it- where do you do this and ..........why? (not meant to be rude just from this thread can't see the fun in it- can you educate me?)
gizooty
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-11-2009, 11:31 PM
[IMG][/IMG]
its not crule NOR horrid... IF done correctly.
i would only do it to the standard i know my dogs can go to..
dont worry muddy... i will be waiting till he has fully matured, just want to start looking in to it now.... get up to date with it...
TABS... whats the fun in.. SHOWING?AGILITY? DOGGY DANCING? RACING??
its all to do with giving your dog the chance to try it.. if they dont like it, you dont do it.. if they do... then you carry on.. doing it, SAFE and FUN..
Greyhawk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-11-2009, 11:38 PM
Do you have any actual experience with weightpull or is this simply an uninformed opinion? People who take part in WP events don't see their dogs simply as 'creatures' as you seem to, the vast majority are well loved pets who are taking part in an activity they enjoy.

To the OP - your pup is far too young to begin weightpulling and in fact I would be rather concerned about the 'racing' you are talking about. If you are seriously considering entering these type of sports then I would simply let you pup grow and be a pup for a while - WP competitions won't allow you to take part until your dog is at least 12 months old (which IMO is still too young, not so much to get started, but to pull competitively). Give it another year then find a local club
Greyhawk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-11-2009, 11:41 PM
Just seen the picture - cute pup!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >