Dogsey Veteran
Male 

29-05-2019, 03:54 PM
I wonder what is in this one ?

brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-05-2019, 04:42 PM
Nippy not all ponds need airating. It depends on how many fish and alslo on airating plants. If in doubt you can just spray water over the top with a hose using a spray nozzle. Hope that helps. The shadier it is the better.
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-05-2019, 05:22 PM
My tip on ponds is in windy weather switch the fountain pump off. Fish need air to be circulated in the hot weather especially switch off the pump If you have not moved the pond (doubtful) and its been there years (highy likely) its and established bio system leave it alone a little maintenance every week and you will be sorted no need to get someone in. Tips to follow.
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-05-2019, 05:29 PM
Unless it rains all summer long (fingers crossed it doesn't), the level in garden ponds will drop during windy or hot weather as the water evaporates/blows out, leading to a reduced surface area and less oxygen that is available for fish.

To keep the pool healthy, top up once a week (if necessary) with rainwater from a butt.
If not available, use water from the tap - as you keep fish, add this more often, in smaller amounts, water direct from the tap is cold and can give the fish a shock. You could also leave a bucket of water to stand in a sunny place to warm it up, which will also allow chlorine to evaporate. Try not to add chemicals to sort anything out as the pond will sort itself out as been there a while by the sounds of it just as Brenda said shade is good but you can't move it and I bet your hubby put it in the right place to start with.

How to clean your garden pond;

Tidying up pond plants remove dead, dying or diseased leaves of pond plants as they can rot and discolour the water in your pond. You should not have much of a problem in the Summer but try not to carry out much trimming during the summer, spend five minutes each week removing fading flowers or yellowing leaves from marginal plants, along with any tatty lily pads floating on the surface.
Submerged oxygenating plants will grow wildly over summer. Prevent them completely swamping your pond by pulling up a few handfuls. Leave the clumps on the edge of the pond overnight so any aquatic wildlife can crawl back into the pond, then put the debris on the compost heap.

Keep the surface of ponds clean by removing floating weeds.
Use a net to scoop out mats of tiny-leaved duck weed and twirl hair-like blanket weed from the surface with a stick or garden cane - but before you put the weeds on the compost heap, place them next to the edge of the pond for a night so any creatures you have removed with the weeds can return to the water.
Tap water is rich in nutrients that benefit algae, so you can reduce their spread by using rainwater to top up ponds.

Does this help at all.

Bit like fish tanks really small and often water top ups. And don't panic worry you have a well established pond Small and often is the key, If you do not have a water butt or rainwater supply don't panic put maybe 3 or 4 buckets (not used for anything else) near the pond and top up with water from the tap they will trickle rainwater in due to weather and leave them a week and use them in rotation, filling the bucket as you empty it so time to dissolve the tap chlorine before using it. Does that make sense? You have loads of time before the warm weather. Very therapeutic fish you will be able to do it yourself no problem pop a chair by it and do it slowly get a plastic jug and use that one you can lift filled with water does not matter how slow you do it the fish will love you for it.
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-05-2019, 05:33 PM
Originally Posted by tumbleweed View Post
I wonder what is in this one ?

Makes you wonder doesn't it maybe the early bee catches the nectar.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

29-05-2019, 06:14 PM
We have a pump with a built in uv clarifier helps keeps the pond clear. You can buy them separately.
To keep our pond topped up when it's been hot or Dillon drinks to much of it Gorden leaves the hose running to top it up. Slowly.

Best if able not to put a pond under a tree due to the leaves going wert and nasty and causing mess.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-05-2019, 06:24 PM
Thank you all for your advice. It has mostly confirmed what I had been thinking. My biggest problem is going to be cleaning the filters, I havent got a hope of getting down to them! I will ask my Brother in Law when he comes and if he cant do it then I will ring the aquatic centre as you suggested griff.
Moyra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-05-2019, 06:34 PM
Steve suggests that if you remove the top off the fountain spray so the water just runs out into the pond rather than blows in the wind it will keep the water circulating but Kazz has given you lots of advice there. I didn't ask have you got many fish and how big are they? I tried to phone you but you must have changed your number. Take care, God bless.
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-05-2019, 08:16 PM
Originally Posted by Moyra View Post
Steve suggests that if you remove the top off the fountain spray so the water just runs out into the pond rather than blows in the wind it will keep the water circulating but Kazz has given you lots of advice there. I didn't ask have you got many fish and how big are they? I tried to phone you but you must have changed your number. Take care, God bless.
That's a good idea
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2