Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

02-09-2012, 03:24 PM

Bloody foxes!

And again just giving more of an example that they aren't the fluffy brigade people profess. Went out for a few hours this afternoon, two and a half maximum, had dogs with me. Nobody else was home either. It's a bright sunny day and all that. Return home a while ago, set about making sunday lunch etc etc...dogs kept moaning in the lounge, ignored them and just thought they were flaffing with each other. Go outside not long ago and see the big chicken coop VERY secure where the mini lops live was broken into, literally looks like a wrecking ball. And there was a bloody mess left of what had been the nice siamese smoke buck, and the lovely blue harle doe was gone. A neighbour came around after hearing my cussing I presume, and told me they had seen a big dog fox disappear over the back wall...with said little blue harle doe in his mouth!
Middle of the day, demolishing what was a secure coop (they type easily ordered online), and two rabbits down! Absolutely fantastic sunday really!
They are a real problem round here in the daytime it would seem as another neighbour told me they've lost a few chooks over the past few weeks in the middle of the day!
Poor buns!
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

02-09-2012, 04:00 PM
Definitely assured me I'm not ever having poultry here either!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-09-2012, 05:11 PM
Oh dear, so sorry to read this Luke I thought it strange yesterday, when we saw a big fox out in broad day light at around 9 am yesterday, coz I always thought they were back home by that time. This is the time of year they have their young isn't it (September?), so maybe they have to be out day and night looking for food. I understand how very upset you must feel losing your rabbits
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-09-2012, 05:18 PM
They are a damn nuisance. Im sick to death of them in the towns.
I took this picture at just after 3pm in the afternoon outside my house a few weeks ago, with 4 Borders going ballistic! It NEVER budged an inch! Too brazen, too many!

Sorry to hear of your loss Luke.
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

02-09-2012, 05:21 PM
They were only young too which makes it worse, sweet little things that did their purpose of mowing the lawn when popped out on it!
I'm just SO annoyed at how even in a secure, bolted in three places, enclosed chicken coop it still broke in and slaughtered them. And in the middle of the bloody day! Looks like it had chewed/nawed/scratched at the bottom bar of the run door until weakened then burst through it, stinks of dog fox too so the hounds aren't happy! They are becoming quite strange in their behaviour it would seem with these daylight antics?
That's VERY close to the dogs Dawn, very odd behaviour!
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

02-09-2012, 05:23 PM
Also, I do wonder if it's been lingering in the cul-de-sac for a while, Hunter is very disgruntled by something and has been for the past few weeks when outside..lots of air sniffing n huffing, staying out late too and doing the "trotting security run" around the perimter in the evening! Sadly think it was just waiting for the opportune moment where said big and hawk eye/nosed rough colle, and noisey terrier, were not about!
Baileys Blind
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-09-2012, 05:26 PM
Oh No, they are a nuisance and indiscriminate killers So sorry for your loss, must have been a horrendous sight and loosing your babies too

when I was looking at getting some chickens I was advised to get a Rhea as they will kill foxes
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

02-09-2012, 05:28 PM
Heard this too but in a standard back garden I can't see it working
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-09-2012, 06:31 PM
I lost so many of my free range chooks to foxes - and always during the day. Wretched things are most definitely not sweet cuddly creatures.

Sometimes they came in packs, and no, it was not parents and cubs. Sometimes they lounged around in my hay shed waiting for me to let the chickens out in the morning. In the end I paid the local gamekeeper to deal with them - his sterling efforts made little difference though because there were always more to take the place of the fallen.

I do feel for you because it is truly horrible to have to clear up after a fox.
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-09-2012, 07:04 PM
So sorry it's really not nice. I lost 3 chickens at the beginning of the year.

Helen
Page 1 of 31 1 2 3 4 11 > Last »