Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2012, 07:16 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
Further to what Brierley has said, I think killing animals 'for fun' is vile and repugnant! And anyone found doing so should be prosecuted.
Originally Posted by Brierley View Post
This incident and the many, many more similar incidents are a good reason why fox hunting should remain banned and the Law enforced more rigorously.
Agree. From the article:

"A spokesman for the hunt says they were devastated by what happened and are taking it very seriously.

He says in future home owners will be made aware of any hunts near them."

So anyone with a hunt around will get this 'warning' and presumably have to decide whether to keep all their pets indoors, just in case? Why should they have to, just because these people want to go around killing foxes and clearly can't control their dogs?

In a 'usual' situation, i.e. walking your dog around the street, the onus would be on the dog owner, wouldn't it? Not to discharge responsibility by warning all the other pet owners that the dog was about to be walked off lead.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2012, 12:45 AM
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
Agree. From the article:

"A spokesman for the hunt says they were devastated by what happened and are taking it very seriously.

He says in future home owners will be made aware of any hunts near them."

So anyone with a hunt around will get this 'warning' and presumably have to decide whether to keep all their pets indoors, just in case? Why should they have to, just because these people want to go around killing foxes and clearly can't control their dogs?

In a 'usual' situation, i.e. walking your dog around the street, the onus would be on the dog owner, wouldn't it? Not to discharge responsibility by warning all the other pet owners that the dog was about to be walked off lead.
Very good post
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2012, 01:02 AM
Pet cats & small dogs have often been the"prey"of the local hunt if they cannot find one of the released foxes.

A local family found their BC bitch who had been in a locked secured kennel & run had been attacked & mated by the errant hounds & were told by the"mistress" of the hunt it was their fault for having a bitch in season when the hounds were out !!!

The same pack on the same hunt outing attacked & killed a cat in an old lady's front garden in front of her !

They invaded my front garden once(pre my new fence being built)the three hounds when faced by 5 trained male GSDs were not so brave when cornered by my dogs(who never touched them)a very shamed faced member of the hunt came to collect them & had to carry them out of the garden. He tried to threaten me about my vicious"alsatians"who were simply doing what they naturally did-defend their"territory" I did point out that he was lucky that they were trained otherwise he would have been collected them in bin liners !
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2012, 01:11 AM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
Pet cats & small dogs have often been the"prey"of the local hunt if they cannot find one of the released foxes.

A local family found their BC bitch who had been in a locked secured kennel & run had been attacked & mated by the errant hounds & were told by the"mistress" of the hunt it was their fault for having a bitch in season when the hounds were out !!!

The same pack on the same hunt outing attacked & killed a cat in an old lady's front garden in front of her !

They invaded my front garden once(pre my new fence being
built)the three hounds when faced by 5 trained male GSDs were not so brave when cornered by my dogs(who never touched them)a very shamed faced member of the hunt came to collect them & had to carry them out of the garden. He tried to threaten me about my vicious"alsatians"who were simply doing what they naturally did-defend their"territory" I did point out that he was lucky that they were trained otherwise he would have been collected them in bin liners !
I like your five GSDs
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2012, 01:20 AM
One of the things that really annoyed me was the fact that aPparently at no point did any of the hunts people attempt to go and help the owner rescue her little cat

I found it ironic that in future they could warn people there would be a hunt in the area - their dogs should be kept under control. House owners should not be afraid to let their pets out into their own property

That poor woman will always have that memory of trying to save her cat & watching it have a horrendous death
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2012, 06:40 AM
Ghastly......

youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2012, 07:08 AM
So sad that poor cat
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2012, 07:25 AM
We recently had the hunt up here, they didn't warn us or the local stables, I had just got back from walking 3 dogs and was about to take the other 3 out when my daughter rang up to say she had seen them on the school road, which is a private road, they had no permission and hadn't asked for permission. They have a hunt just after christmas every year, I had been very careful and kept close to home but as it was the middle of January I thought it would be safe. I thought it was Forestry Commission policy that they didn't allow hunting on their land.
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2012, 09:48 AM
A neighbours cat was mauled to death by a greyhound we didn't find out about it till the owner was found in a distraught state by the chemist covered in blood, she too tried to save her cat.

Apparently the dog had got through the fence amd into the garden, not sure what happened to the dog but cat owner was very distressed mum helped her out took her home with the owner carrying her cats body :<
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

08-02-2012, 11:14 AM
Originally Posted by one.eyed.dog View Post
I know a GWP that has had a cat and a GSD cross
I know 2 Boxers that killed someoens cat too.

Originally Posted by samson13 View Post
Dogs - out for recreation - out of control - kill cat !
Exactly, or rats , or any small furriers,its what dogs do, maybe we should ban them all incase they accidently/intentional kill something they consider prey.

Originally Posted by Brierley View Post
One is a result of a deliberate human act the other isn't (hopefully)
The human did not kill the cat, the hounds did, there is no difference to a domesticated dog going into prey drive and killing something smaller than it...

Its a sad case, and I can understand the anger and hurt of the owner, but this could have been any dog that got loose and into her garden.
Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »