Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

16-01-2012, 03:36 PM
Originally Posted by Leanne_W View Post
As much as those in favour of hunting say a fox is killed outright by dogs, I cant believe it. It's not the controlling of foxes I disagree with, I just cant stomach the thought of anything being ripped to shreds or set upon by another animal so thats why I disagree with fox hunting with dogs.

Although hares are not as common as rabbits, you have to know where to find them and I see them quite regularly because the dogs put them out. However, they are one of our wild animals which are in decline (if organisations such as the Wildlife Trust is to be believed) because of farming practices and pest control etc so I would not like to see hare coursing become legal again.
What about those who allow their dogs to catch and eat their own food, do you feel the same about these people who allow their dogs to dispatch and eat wildlife.
Tarimoor
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-01-2012, 03:40 PM
A survey carried out recently in Northern Ireland showed that hare populations where hare coursing took place were higher than in those areas where it didn't take place.

http://www.qub.ac.uk/sites/Quercus/News/

They still banned it.

The hunting act is unworkable for many reasons, I'm not particularly pro fox hunting, but enough money has been wasted with an unworkable piece of legislation. I think it should be lifted.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2012, 03:50 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
What about those who allow their dogs to catch and eat their own food, do you feel the same about these people who allow their dogs to dispatch and eat wildlife.
I think there is a massive difference between encouraging a dog to kill wildlife and it happening by accident.

There is nothing accidental about fox hunting.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

16-01-2012, 03:51 PM
Originally Posted by Jet&Copper View Post
I have to admit I always found it a bit odd that hunting foxes with dogs was banned, yet you could still shoot one. Surely then you could potentially injure rather than kill, leaving the fox to die a prolonged death in agony rather than at least a guaranteed quicker death from the dogs?

:
sadly you get old wives tales on both sides of the argument
this one above is one of the main ones of the pro camp.

firstly foxes arent that hard to shoot dead.
when i worked on a farm the foxes would freeze not flight, at close quarters. having done a little bit of target shooting myself, i would have killed one easily.
for the pro hunt lobby to say that the men of the land whom are used to guns couldnt kill a fox cleanly is a tad disingenuos, not to mention a bit insulting to label farmers in such a generalised incompetent way.
this slight only seems to be made about british farmers, in new zealand, where i was bought up, you wouldnt hear people saying that farmers cant shoot to kill small to medium wildlife at close to medium distance in a freeze stance.

of course their is the *potential* to only inflict injury.
the same *potential* would exist wth dogs.

but the likelihood for either would be low
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

16-01-2012, 03:53 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
I think there is a massive difference between encouraging a dog to kill wildlife and it happening by accident.

There is nothing accidental about fox hunting.
I did not say anything about accidents, some folk encourage their dogs to source their own food.

Accident or intent, the outcome is the same, a dog killing and ripping its prey to shreds
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2012, 04:11 PM
I did not say anything about accidents, some folk encourage their dogs to source their own food.

Accident or intent, the outcome is the same, a dog killing and ripping its prey to shreds
Both are distasteful, barbaric & totally unnecessary.

Pure & simple bloodlust
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2012, 04:23 PM

I do not agree with encouraging a dog to kill anything. However, I am not a hypocrite and I am not going to deny that my dogs have not killed some small prey animals in the past. If you own any dog with some prey drive, unfortunately accidents do occasionally happen.

I have never witnessed my dogs rip anything to shreds though. If they have ever caught some thing it is shaken and dead pretty much instantly -- no shredding involved.

There is no comparison between the accidental killing of a small prey animal by a single dog and the purposeful ripping apart of another canine (fox) by a pack of hounds. Intent is everything. Again, I cannot see how anyone could profess to being an animal lover and agree with the purposeful killing of an animal in that manner.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2012, 04:54 PM
i hope it gets lifted. would just like to point out that on the majority of hunts, the fox still got shot first (from what i have been told by people who have done it for years and years, a hound wont keep up with a fit fox, and the majority of men out wouldnt let it be run to the ground, it was usually shot before it got tired and then the hounds given the body). we drag hunt, the hounds will still try and go off if they smell an actual fox, to them the smell of fresh fox, beats stale urine every time, just means you have to be alot sharper with them and on your guard.. i imagine accidents still happen and some groups end up getting a real fox, i do not know though.

as for hares, when we are out we see LOADS of them. a place we were at the other week we saw near on 40 odd of them running about the fields. i dont see anywhere round my area, but travel further afield and they are there.

as for deer, they get culled every year anyway and have done for god knows how ever many years. my uncle was a gamekeeper and he had to go out and get rid of a number of them a year, to keep the population controlled. this has carried on depsite the ban, because the ban was on fox hunting, didnt effect deer in anyway.
Angie1966
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-01-2012, 04:59 PM
This is always a contentious subject.

I was brought up in the country with my family having a farming background. I've owned horses all my life and although many of my friends have regularly gone hunting it is not something that I wish to partake in. It is often the 'Townies' that are accused of not 'understanding' the countryside, well I'm certainly not a Townie, but nor do I understand the need to hunt using dogs. The kill itself is not what I have a problem with, it's the chase.

I fully appreciate that certain aspects of the countryside need controlling/maintaining but it needs to be done in a more humane way. IMO fox hunting is indiscriminate and barbaric. Sadly, it does continue regardless of the ban under the guise of 'exercising the hounds'. If riders want a good day out, enjoying the thrill of the chase, why not stick to drag hunting?
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2012, 05:03 PM
Good post Angie 1966
Page 2 of 27 < 1 2 3 4 5 12 > Last »