Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jcarpentier
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-04-2014, 08:52 PM

Why do people not train small dogs?

Hello all. I am wondering if any of you have small dogs and if you have had success in training them like you would a larger breed? Of the people I know who have small dogs they all HAVE NOT trained them as they would a larger dog and it really irks me. I mean, they are dogs!

Some of the behavior I find unacceptable is jumping on people, begging, and just generally not being obedience trained.

Not trying to bash the owners because I understand the dogs are cute and all but the behavior as a result of not training them is not.

Thanks so much!
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2014, 09:09 PM
I have a Shih tzu,amazingly well behaved and I'm not just saying that cause I adore her
She doesn't do any of the things that irritate you Never have a bother with her,behaviour wise,she's a wee star
Small dogs can of course be as successfully trained ( behaviour wise)as larger one's...exactly the same in my opinion.
Its possible that it's the attitude of the owners you have encountered that is the real problem here.As you say,some people just think their dogs are too "cute" and possibly see it as a honour for you,that their dog choses to jump up at you etc etc.
Most of the dogs Lacey and I meet up with on our walks are smallish.Can't say there's a badly behaved one among them tbh
Jcarpentier
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-04-2014, 09:22 PM
That's good. I didn't mean to be offensive in any way, I was just curious. I figured they should be able to be trained just that the people I have come across decided not to. Thanks!
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2014, 09:27 PM
Didn't think you were being offensive at all Good point I thought,just can't say I've had the same experience...thank goodness
New puppy arriving the end of April,I see...how exciting!
Dogloverlou
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-04-2014, 09:33 PM
Aside from a couple of behavioural issues, my terrier Missy is very well trained. Found no problems training her, and actually she's been a breeze to train compared to my larger dog.

It really annoys me when people make excuses for why small dogs can't be trained in the same manner as larger dogs, or are incapable or having the same level of obedience. Unfortunately, as you've found with the people you know, some small dog owners don't feel the need to train their dogs as efficiently as they would a larger breed.

However, in some defence of small dog owners, jumping up at people can be hard to break because other people actively encourage it as they think it's cute or funny. My girl has been guilty of jumping up at people. Makes it ten times worse when people laugh, fuss her, and otherwise encourage her to continue!
IceCody
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-04-2014, 11:39 PM
I have 3 papillons and they are all getting the same training as my big dogs did before them.
They are not allowed to jump on people and know the basic obidence.
And like the big dogs they are different from each other when it comes to training.
Desty is perfect on a leash but Leo will still sometimes forget and pull so he needs to be reminded to heel.
Leo has sit, down and stay down pat but Desty can not stay for more than a minute or two.
None of them will rush a door when it is opened and none of them will grab stuff from a person even if itīs food in the hands of small children.
Desty is great with not stealing from a table but Bailie will do it if left unattended with food. That comes from her previous experiences and we are working hard on that.
Bailie has a great recall while Leo might finish sniffing and marking before he comes. Desty is testing me these days and will stop to think if she should come back or even go as far as ignoring me.

Like all dogs their training is a constant but I do expect the same from them as I did my big dogs.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2014, 05:39 AM
Betty (5lb) is quite good doesn't jump up at other people, sits when told, leaves things when told, walks nicely with no pulling on extending lead and short lead, begs when asked. Doesn't bother us when eating just waits her turn.
Is quiet when told a shhh stops her barking when out.

She doesn't need to be an obedience champion doing much more than that she is a companion and family member and just needs to be able to live with us comfortably.

I am hoping bigger Elsie (lab) will be just as good plus not sit on laps or leap around the sofa (Betty can but generally it would be far more dangerous for Elsie to do it). She also won't be allowed in the window sill, Betty sits quietly and is safe to do so I have a feeling a narrow ledge would be dangerous for Elsie.

Generally if they don't bother other people walk past or say hello nicely with other dogs and are easy to live with in our home that does fine for me.

Probably not fine for others but they aren't living with us so their opinions don't count
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2014, 06:44 AM
Small dog owner here whose dog doesn't do anything I don't want her to do or anything that would irritate other people.

It's PEOPLE I sometimes have problems with where owning a small dog is concerned.

I've had big dogs too in my time. And random strangers don't try to pick them up and cuddle them or laugh if they do jump up at them. They almost always ASK if the dog is friendly in fact where a big dog is concerned! It's just a fact that a lot of people, and especially children, find the sight of a very small cute dog very appealing and they home in on them.

When I had my Cavalier I used to take her out with me to lots of places and if I was eating she'd be under the table with a bowl of water. Lots of people would comment on 'how good' she was and steer over to her. I would like a pound or a euro for every time I've fended off people saying 'DO NOT SPEAK TO HER or TOUCH HER' because she won't continue to 'be good' if you do and I won't be able to eat in peace! Like most dogs she loved attention and wasn't so 'good' that she'd just ignore people stroking, patting, clucking and trying to coax her out for a fuss!

I don't need my small dog to be trained to a high standard in obedience or agility. I was only concerned that she would
not bite people
get on well with other animals
not bark all the time
be housetrained
not pull on the lead or run off
stand still while having her lead put on or taken off
come back when called

Managed all that in her first year and she has been a joy to own for the three years+ since.

One of the best trained dogs I've ever met is a Chihuahua owned by a Russian Girl in my old apartment block. I don't think it's ever had a lead on it. Almost velcro'd to her heels - she never raises her voice to it but it does everything she tells it to - including peeing on cue! She says the only thing she wishes was that it was a bit more 'cuddly'. Well I wish that too about mine but as they say - can't have everything!
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2014, 07:06 AM
You only have to come to an agility show and watch the small dogs run to see that they are just as trainable as the large dogs.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2014, 08:27 AM
Originally Posted by Fivedogpam View Post
You only have to come to an agility show and watch the small dogs run to see that they are just as trainable as the large dogs.
Yes indeed and I recall seeing quite a few delightful photos of small dogs taking part in agility here on Dogsey.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >