View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Woodstock
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-07-2008, 03:10 PM
Oh Helena that is such a shame. At least she found a home for the cocker with someone she knew and in theory trusted rather than the poor JR in the free ads. Hope she vetted the home at least

Slightly OT but going back to the credit crunch, the other side of it is not only are there loads more pets ending up in rescues because of their owners feeling the pinch, but charities are the first to see MASSIVE dips in income due to economic problems because a) people cut down on their giving as a first step of tightening their belts and b) sponsorships from any forms of business are stopped aswell as costs get cut. So not only are they inundated they have less resources to cope with it and they will be affected by rising costs just as much as the rest of us.

Scary times.
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-07-2008, 03:51 PM
i think its very sad and it all goes down to what people feel they should be responsible for though aswell.

Yes money is tight, but I just wouldnt get rid of my dog - i would change my lifestyle as much as i could - sell my car etc if it came to that....

He is as much part of the family as my baby is - and i certainly wouldnt give my baby away ( although somedays i want to LOL !!)

I just think so many people dont think of their animals that way and it really makes me sad.

They are just too disposable.
;(
shaza
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-07-2008, 04:40 PM
Been reading through these replies and just wanted to say that this has happend, not to me but to someone in my family! It was devastating, the dog was so attached to her to the extent of being extremely possesive! It got to the stage that when the husband put his arm around his wife the dog growled - then went for him!

Anyway, she became pregnant, after seeing a behaviourist recomended by their vet! things didn't improve! She was devastated at having to let the dog go, it was all very sad!

She still gets upset now, which is years down the line, especially when she receives cards and photo's from his new owners.

Having never had children, I find myself in an extremely lucky situation as one of my dogs is petrified of children, he will run away but if cornered by one, I wouldn't like to think what could happen!
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-07-2008, 05:26 PM
Its been hard reading this thread, those who know me know that I am having to rehome all but one of my beloved dogs. I'm suprised it hasn't killed me to be honest, they are my world, my very reason for living.

I have struggled financially for the last 18 months to the point of having no heating or hot water since January this year, due to the credit crunch I suppose. This, in turn, has made me ill with Reynauds disease and a painful problem with my coccyx, I continued to struggle but then got told they were decreasing my hours to even less at work. Being a single person with no children I get no help from the government, despite having paid into the system from when I left school.

This is when it finally hit home that I am not doing the dogs any favours, yes they were getting fed and having any medical treatment needed, but in order to pay for that I wasn't feeding myself, or was living on a diet of cheap custard creams so I didn't have to use any electric for cooking. This took a toll on my health and if I'm not fit to look after the dogs then how can I justify keeping them when there are so many people offering wonderful homes?

I am fortunate in that I have been offered a lifeline, somewhere else to live but I couldn't take all my babies. Believe me, if there were any way I could have not gone through this last 2 months then I would have taken it, but its happened now, only one more to find a home for, one other still to take to his new home and sob my heart out over again, but it is the right thing for him, as it was for all the others, they are happy and well cared for in their new homes. They weren't sold off as commodities, the homes were hand-picked by myself and I feel privilaged that those people have taken on my darlings, all have gone to homes that are experienced in the breed and where they won't be only dogs, they have been brought up with other dogs and need the company and stimulation that others can offer.

I suppose what I'm trying to say is that yes, I can fully understand the uproar about people getting rid of dogs for no reason other than they are fed up with them, one or two of mine actually came from homes like that, and these people make me sick to the bottom of my stomach, as do those who just take something on without thinking of the full implications. However, I can also see it from the other point of view when something unforeseen has happened and the odds are stacked so highly against you that the only thing to do is place the dog in a lovely home before things are taken out of your hands. There should never be any reason for abandoning a dog, I think that if you have to rehome a dog then the onus is on you to find the best possible home, not just pass it onto the first person that shows an interest, or flashes the cash.

Just my opinion but a very sensitive issue with me at the moment.

Sheree xx
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-07-2008, 05:44 PM
It is incredibly sad if people rehome their dogs because they are having a baby. I guess there will be genuine cases, but I am sure many use it as an excuse. Yes it is blooming hard work to look after a newborn and dogs - but we managed it.

We have 13 dogs and a 7 month old baby. He was born 6 weeks early too, which caused lots of stress, hospital visits and he was in SCBU for over a month. Not once did I consider rehoming any of our dogs.

As Brundog said, I think the only time I might even consider rehoming a dog is if he/she caused a serious threat to the baby. Even then, I would try other situations out first - ie keeping dog and baby separate.
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-07-2008, 10:14 PM
In the time I have been working in a rescue center, I can honestly say the majority of the calls are, we have to rehome our dog because I am having a baby????? probably the next regular reason is.. We are moving into rented accomodation the landlard dosnt allow pets so we have to get rid of our dog?????
then.. My husband/My wife and I have split up so I cant keep the dog???
then... the dogs grown too big for the house???? then...I am working too long hours so the dog needs rehoming. or the one I just love (NOT) is we have to rehome our 5.6.7.8.9.10 + dog because we have just got a NEW pup and they dont get on with each other, hmmmm the land of petlovers. eh?

Mo
deez
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-07-2008, 10:18 PM
firstly i would just like to say to sheree- i would hate to be in your position, and if ever i am, then finding decent loving homes for your dogs, IS the best thing you can do, because you do it through love.
i wasnt allowed a dog when i was child rearing- by OH! and to be honest i didnt nag for one. we where both working, and to be honest didnt have the time.
a year and a half ago- he said ok its time for your dog.
he- as you can see is the sensible one lol.
i would have struggled to look after a dog then, but now i can do it properly.
i wish young(er) couples would think about the long term commitment of having a dog.
on the credit crunch thing- i read on a mally website things you can do to help ease the outgoings dog ownership brings. personally, i reduced sky package, and have switched insurances, and even cancelled one which, when looking at, it was no cop anyway. dogs arent getting the best(as in most expensive) food anymore, but more barf type stuff- even my mum is bringing treats round for them
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-07-2008, 10:35 PM
I prefer to home my puppys to more mature couples, eg nero on the forum,, and boobah, I feel this age group are more settled, I have to consider younger people very carefuly due to the whole baby issue, you could argue that older couples would say,, oh I now have grandchildren to think about, But I have to say I feel its not so much of a worrie for me as a breeder
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-07-2008, 06:44 AM
yep , new baby the most common reason for rehoming Springers, closely followed by relationship break up and change in work circumstances, however there are some very genuine cases, the guy who had to have a hip replacement who could no longer walk his dog, the man with a disabled wife who had to move into sheltered accomodation who couldn't take their dog
Vodka Vixen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-07-2008, 06:56 AM
When we had our first pei "Bo" we were a young couple and the inevitable happened, i got pregnant, never once was getting rid of him an option, yes i worried how i would cope but we never would have re-homed him, unfortunately he was very ill then and we sadly lost him before the baby came along. 4 years later we got Diesel, all was great for a while, then we broke up, never once did we consider giving him up, he stayed here and my ex even now still pays for his food, vet bills and whatever else is needed, he will also come and walk him every evening, i guess we are lucky that we have a good relationship but even if we didnt, D would have stayed with one of us.

All my animals eat better than i do and probably always will
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »