Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2008, 01:46 PM

Got my Pension Credit for Mum

Another case closed! I've been dealing with the Pension Credit peops for the past 4 months having been told she isn't entitled to any, I wasn't going to believe that, so I completed the 17 page document on t'internet, etc. etc. etc. had a visit from the nice lady 3 weeks ago, and today I have just received a letter from the Pension Credit peops that she WILL be getting it, £30 a week, backdated to April this year!!! That'll be a nice little £840 ish going into her bank account then thankyou very much!!!

So, that's now attendance allowance I've got her, my carer's allowance I've got meeee, the council tax rebate of 25% and now this!!! IT PAYS TO PERSEVERE!!!!!!

So for once in her life, she is now getting nearly a grand a month for sitting on her ass, after all those years working her fingers to the bone, nobody deserves it more! Trouble is, being stuck in her room like she is now, it's too late for her to enjoy it, but at least it pays for our lovely carer to come in for 4 hours a day to cheer her up and pamper her rotten, and why not!!!

Now what else have I been told she doesn't quality for, I can drive them nuts with ........
lynnb
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-11-2008, 02:01 PM
What about mobility allowance?
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2008, 02:16 PM
Ooooooh, she's definitely immobile, and in fact, when applying for my council tax reduction, the doctor sent them a letter stating that my mother was "severely disabled" so that sounds promising doesn't it??? Thanks, I'll try that!!!
lynnb
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-11-2008, 02:24 PM
Helen did no-one advice you to apply for mobility, when you applied for the attendance allowance, they normally go together. if she has managed to get AA,then she should have no problems getting the mobility at the highiest rate. and you will be able to then use her blue badge when you take her out.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2008, 02:56 PM
Well I got a blue badge, but that was through the local council and then of course the doctor, but no, I've never applied for any mobility allowance! I might have to go on their website and take a look and see if she would qualify! Thanks again
lynnb
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-11-2008, 03:18 PM
Your welcome hun, iv been there done that, and filled in countless forms for my dad, and battled with them when they said he didn't qualify. they don't like paying up, do they. I would say to anyone, if you get a NO from them always appeal, and ask them why it was turned down, sometimes all it needs is a letter from someone that knows you or them. even just your GP, friend or neighbour. it's always worth another try. it always angers me when they are genuine cases. and they turn then down.
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2008, 08:10 PM
Well done you. Totally agree that perserverence pays off, I honestly think that they make those forms deliberately a pain to fill in so it puts some people off claiming!!
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2008, 08:11 PM
Mobility allowance is part of Disability Living Allowance, which is only for new claimants under 65.

When you are over 65 you can claim for Attendance Allowance..... which I believe your Mum already gets.

If you claim DLA before you are 65 then it may continue once you turn 65.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2008, 08:15 PM
Ah you're right there Becky! I remember asking this nice lady who came round from the Pensions Dept, and she told me that! I also remember answering her with "oh yes I see. LIke the 17 yr. old who was on Jeremy Kyle this morning, he claims disability allowance along with his dole money so that he can use both to buy his drugs each week, ah yes, but my old Mum of 84 is NOT entitled to it, yes, got you"!!!!!!! She gave me a very wry smile and said unfortunately "yes"!!!!! No answer to that is there really!!!
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2008, 08:19 PM
Originally Posted by wishbone View Post
Mobility allowance is part of Disability Living Allowance, which is only for new claimants under 65.

When you are over 65 you can claim for Attendance Allowance..... which I believe your Mum already gets.

If you claim DLA before you are 65 then it may continue once you turn 65.
This is true, I tried getting it for my hubby, I fought nearly as hard as you H but with no luck.

Hope Mum manages to enjoy some of her money I am sure you will find some little treats for her........but I guess just living with you suites her fine.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >