View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

19-08-2008, 09:07 PM
Horrified. Actually horrified. I'm almost ashamed to be human after that, and the attitude of some of these foul "officials and respected breed club members" made me vomit, the breeder who said how dire it was that you couldn't get a young vet to put down a ridgeback with no ridge made me heave!
I'm genuinely shocked.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2008, 09:08 PM
People like that Cavalier exhibitor who allows a dog with that awful disease to be used and the Pug breeder who says the poor things pass out but usually come round, should be banned from breeding dogs full stop! Disgraceful!
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2008, 09:09 PM
Yes, 26 from a dog with that horrible disease, shocking.

I think any dog being shown should also have all health tests taken into account and not be allowed to be shown without up-to-date test results to show as evidence of health. They should not be winning shows with such health problems.
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2008, 09:10 PM
I have just watched the programme and I found it very disturbing, Firstly because (I am not a breeder) I had no idea about the medical issues surrounding many of the pure bred breeds, esp. King Charles Cavaliers. It distressed me to see those poor dogs.
I was irate to say the least when that breeder, who knew her dog suffered from the disease, allowed her dog to breed, and dismayed to see the dog win a show.

What I find hard to understand is how can a dog that is bred to such a degree (any breed) can be classed as the breed standard.
The Hounds, for instance, IMO looked much healthier and sturdier even at just 50 years ago.
As I say I am not a breeder, but this programme opened my eyes to what I can only describe as snobbery and elitism in the dog world.
I am sure that there are more ethical breeders than there are otherwise. But it saddens me to see so many beautiful dogs being altered essentially for fashion.
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2008, 09:10 PM
It was interesting when they said that the rhodesians without the ridges were actually healthier - but being killed for physical 'imperfections'...crazy!
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

19-08-2008, 09:11 PM
Louis Theroux makes whimsical shows focussing on the odd little lifestyles of some of the stranger sub cultures of society

He did one about dog shows.
He made the classic comment:
When Adolf Hitler bred humans for perfection it was called eugenics.
When dog breeders do it to dogs, it is called the British sense of fun

Always loved that comment

And at least, a serious programme that bears this truth out.
What a nasty bunch of little extremists

To hell with Crufts and the KC. How can they sleep at night.
Funny little upper middle class people of a certain age who think they are intellectually superior, yet their ignorance and ludricious lack of logic was exposed time after time when they were asked basic questions such as what is the purpose of the ridge: err, "because its the standard".

Eh??????????????
vickinicks
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-08-2008, 09:11 PM
Well what can I say very distressing I honstley wanted to shoot some of the breeders on there. I could say so much more but I don't want to upset anyone on here, but I will say this I have little faith in the kennel club and any kind of dog show now, I'm glad that my dog will always be a pet and a happy one too. Oh and Dean is my vet!!!!
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2008, 09:12 PM
Originally Posted by Insomnia View Post
It was interesting when they said that the rhodesians without the ridges were actually healthier - but being killed for physical 'imperfections'...crazy!
That made me sick to my core.
RudeDog
Dogsey Junior
Male 

19-08-2008, 09:12 PM
This is exactly why I got a fell terrier not recognised by these fools of the kennel club. What gets me is the way these peolple are pleased with what they are doing. The old style dogs just look fitter & healthier. It makes me wonder wether these kennel club people & breeders are in bread themselves as they ain't right.
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2008, 09:14 PM
Originally Posted by Fernsmum View Post
I found it horrific that woman bred 26 litters from a Cavalier she knew was ill
God That woman What suffering she has Spread
Page 2 of 65 < 1 2 3 4 5 12 52 > Last »