Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hoggett
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

03-11-2006, 08:46 PM

Fridge Freezer

Hello,

Could anyone with me some advise. As most of you know I am going to be away from home awhile, so I have decided to empty my fridge freezer - theres not much in it, defrost it and leave it off while I'm away.

Now the question is, do you think it would be ok to leave it off for about 5 - 6 months, will it start up, I have to add it is a oldish one, about 12 years old.

The reason I'm asking is that a electrian I know says it should be ok, but my neighbour who used to work at a factory that made them so it would pack in being left that long. So who is right?

Yours thoughts would be appreciated.

Ian
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

03-11-2006, 09:00 PM
Provided the cooling system is all intact-i cant see any harm coming from leaving it off for 6 months.Most fridge/freezers can spend 2 years stuck in a warehouse so 6 months isnt long at all! The only thing you have to be careful of is to keep it upright Ian.
skjerstad
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2006, 09:02 PM
You may just have to take a chance Ian. It may be ok but I wouldn't like to bet on it. We put stuff like that (fridge, freezer, washing machine) into storage for almost a year and it was ok. Good luck.
Hoggett
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

03-11-2006, 09:09 PM
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Provided the cooling system is all intact-i cant see any harm coming from leaving it off for 6 months.Most fridge/freezers can spend 2 years stuck in a warehouse so 6 months isnt long at all! The only thing you have to be careful of is to keep it upright Ian.
I know about keeping them upright, someone told us a few years ago.

I thought the only problem might be is with it being working non stop for X amount of years then being off for a few months, would the working pack in. But I think I'll just take the chance on it, if it does pack in I'll get a cheap one out of the papers or somewhere.

Thanks.

Ian