Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

15-01-2014, 01:39 PM

Towel sizes

I am looking for some new towels to buy online - the size that used to be called "Hand Towels" and measure approximately 50cm x 90cm [20" x 36"] but what are now described as "Hand Towels" are half that size - the size that used to be called "Guest Towels".

Does anyone know what a towel approximately 50cm x 90cm [20" x 36"] is now called?
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-01-2014, 01:46 PM
According to Tesco's 50cm x 90cm are still called hand towels
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

15-01-2014, 01:55 PM
Thanks Eileen - not that I can buy from Tesco but it has given me an idea of the prices and also that places do sell them in just that size and not in sets - which I do not want.
Imana-Banana
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-01-2014, 01:59 PM
from Marks & Spencer web site

Guest towel: L40 x W40cm
Hand towel: L50 x W90cm
Bath towel: L64 x W110cm
Bath sheet: L100 x W150cm

xx
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

15-01-2014, 02:11 PM
Originally Posted by Imana-Banana View Post
from Marks & Spencer web site

Guest towel: L40 x W40cm
Hand towel: L50 x W90cm
Bath towel: L64 x W110cm
Bath sheet: L100 x W150cm

xx
Thanks Sarah for that clarification - sizes have definitely changed then if a Bath Towel is only 64cm x 110cm - even what they describe as a Bath Sheet is far smaller than those that I have - incidentally most of the towels I have I brought with me from England 28½ years ago, and not all were new at the time. I used to stock up in the Sales so was able to get quality that seems to last forever, especially those from John Lewis.

But it is only hand towels that I need now as those are the ones that seem to have lost all absorbancy. I know where I can probably get what I want here, but have the problem of Pereg which is why I buy whatever I can online.

Pity that M&S have stopped their International online service yet again.
Imana-Banana
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-01-2014, 02:15 PM
You are welcome

I know bath towels used to be much bigger when I was a kid.

Can you get them off Ebay?
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

15-01-2014, 04:10 PM
I have checked eBay and there are either sets [which I do not want] from the Far East [and I have had enough problems with things not turning up from there so am in the process of writing them off as a loss and not purchasing anything from that part of the world again], or the ones I do want either the sellers do not send to Israel or they want twice the price of the towels for postage.

I found the perfect ones at John Lewis who boast that they deliver to 33 countries - but like most companies it is "sorry but our International delivery service does not include Israel".

Par for the course, I guess. SIGH
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

20-01-2014, 09:27 AM
This towel lark is now getting [as the Daily Mail would say] "hilarious"! John Lewis have informed me that their export department will arrange a special export - for ten or twelve towels?

Found a website which is a sort of find everything anywhere site, posted exactly what I wanted and am now getting quotes from all over the world. Unfortunately most seem unable to understand "ten or twelve single towels" and think I mean ten or twelve thousand. One company even thought I meant ten or twelve shipping containers full!

I am currently trying to cope with a company in India who have asked me "what is your budget Madam" when I asked them what were their prices, and I gave up with one in China, the person sending the emails saying that she was a woman therefore she understood exactly what I wanted, but would I please let her know if the ten thousand towels were for re-sale or did I own a chain of supermarkets.

But - I did find exactly what I wanted on eBay UK and even with the [to my mind] excessive postage quoted the towels would still have worked out at only £3 each. I would have bought them BUT - the comment "I am sure you would be able to find towels such as these in Israel so why do you want to buy online from us" really got up my nose so I told them where they could put their towels.

Politely, of course...

Malka
Dogsey Veteran

20-01-2014, 09:44 AM
Oh 'eck! I have just received the following from India...

thankyou sir,send your address and phone number,you pay 22 USD my account
and then ten lines of banking details followed by a list of registration details and

i am member of FEDERATION OF INDIAN EXPORT ORGANISATIONS,this organisation is multi product
exporter certificate to my company, 90 years old andhra bank is
guarantee for meso it is guarantee company.i am a female exporter trust me.thankyou sir.
Incidentally, the $22 is for twelve hand towels including postage!
Imana-Banana
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-01-2014, 10:18 AM
Ha, ha, ha

Who would have thought you could have so much fun buying towels!!

Incidentally have you managed to source any for real?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >