View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2010, 10:30 PM
My dogs always travel in crates so they have no opportunity to do this & sorry I think it is higly irresponsible to allow your dog to do this even at 5 miles an hour
Heather and Zak
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2010, 11:42 PM
Nope my dogs are always secured in the car, for my safety as well as theirs. I may open a front window a few inches just to let them get some breeze in the back. I hate seeing dogs moving about freely in a car, I don't think some people see the dangers.
kazer
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-07-2010, 05:50 AM
Nope the windows are usually open 4" at the most so the air is moving round. If it's really warm, I either have the air con or the dogs don't come out in the car.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

02-07-2010, 06:27 AM
Afraid not Ollie travels in the boot estate car here too.

I have back windows half way down and sun roof open for him. He refuses to get into he car in this heat anyway. If I had a saloon car which I did when I had Zanta she was in a harness clipped by the seat belt too travel and Ollie would too.

My reasons are mostly for the reasons Katem has pointed out and those are the reasons why neither of my children were allowed to hang arms out of windows or any other body parts.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2010, 07:21 AM
no I dont let them, I would be to worried about them getting hurt.
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2010, 07:56 AM
Thanks for all replies folks, has certainly made me feel bad and given me a bit to think about.

On long journeys monty generally lies down and goes to sleep so I never feel the need to restrain him. He is very good in the car but is not as good when forced to sit in one position i.e the boot but then maybe I'm too soft with him and should persevere in making him but I guess that would only stress him more and make him nervous of the car.

He's never been crated apart from at the vets so that would stress him out as well.
muttzrule
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2010, 08:10 AM
No, never never never. It is far too dangerous! She sits seatbelted in with the air conditioning on. She can still see out the window and is quite content to watch the world go by or take a snooze. I hate seeing dogs hanging out of car windows almost as much as I hate seeing them in the back of pick up trucks, restrained or not. Do you guys have pick up trucks in the UK?
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2010, 08:18 AM
Originally Posted by esmed View Post
Thanks for all replies folks, has certainly made me feel bad and given me a bit to think about.

On long journeys monty generally lies down and goes to sleep so I never feel the need to restrain him. He is very good in the car but is not as good when forced to sit in one position i.e the boot but then maybe I'm too soft with him and should persevere in making him but I guess that would only stress him more and make him nervous of the car.

He's never been crated apart from at the vets so that would stress him out as well.
Awww don;t feel like a bad person hun. As I said around here you do see loads doing it honest, we passed one the other day where it was a GSD and he was barking at people as they drove.

I think for me I learnt years back when someone brought in a dog to our vets with a serious eye problem, it lost the eye, something had pieced the eye and the possible cause was because he held his head out of the car. Just made me think at the time, thats why we don't/

You can get window grids off betterware and places like that you can pop in the halfway window (if you get my meaning)
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2010, 08:20 AM
Originally Posted by muttzrule View Post
No, never never never. It is far too dangerous! She sits seatbelted in with the air conditioning on. She can still see out the window and is quite content to watch the world go by or take a snooze. I hate seeing dogs hanging out of car windows almost as much as I hate seeing them in the back of pick up trucks, restrained or not. Do you guys have pick up trucks in the UK?
Our neighbour has one, he harnesses his dog in the back though

ps yes it does worry me when they are loose.....I am sure thats against the law here though????
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-07-2010, 08:20 AM
Originally Posted by esmed View Post
As per the title really?

Monty has recently discovered that there is some joy to be had from hanging his head out the back windows as i'm driving a long.

He only does it up until about 40mph and then he ducks back in. I don't really see the harm and it cracks me up seeing his boxer jowls flapping round in the wind in the wing mirrors!

The windows don't open far enough for him to be able to get out or anything and he never sticks his head right out in the sense that his neck is out as well, he just kind of pokes his head out.

So anyone else let their dog do this?
No, its far to dangerous, and to be honest one of my pet hates!!

I would never allow children to do it either, apart from the fact my dogs are always restrained in the car, mostly in the boot,
Page 3 of 49 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 > Last »