Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2009, 03:03 PM
Originally Posted by leadstaffs View Post
A report I have seen has said they dog is thought to be either a Pitbull or Mastiff type.
They said it belonged to the boys uncle who has just started in the army.

The local radio have been on the phone to me already.

I just hope an other amnesty is not on the way.
I have to say, it has chilling echo's of ellie lawrence...
4yo child killed by dog owned by uncle on merseyside(only including the place as it is so similar to previous)
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2009, 03:05 PM
Originally Posted by gsdmad View Post
What could possibly be gained from keeping this dog alive to assess?
You would never get a true insight into the dogs 'normal' behaviour as it would be in a strange environment, not treated 'normally' (after all who would treat a dog normally knowing it killed a child)
No matter how good or bad temperament the dog had before this attack, it still killed a child. No dog with a sound temperament would maul a child so badly that they die at the scene.
I could understand what you mean if it was just a bite, but it so obviously wasnt.

My dogs are both trustworthy around my young son but if either of them mauled him to death I would much rather they be shot and killed instantly than be dragged off for assessments or be dragged to the vets in an agitated state to be pts.

No matter what the breed, the dog was obviously out of control and deserved his/her fate.
No doubt they will do a post mortem to check for physical problems such as tumours that may have caused a sudden change in behaviour, but either way there was no other acceptable outcome.

i agreee.....

i trust my dogs around kids and they have very stable tempraments....but if for any reason one turned and attacked i would have no hesitation in having pts.... im sorry but in that situation kids/people come first.

I dont believe this dog was a family pet at all.

Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2009, 03:06 PM
Originally Posted by gsdmad View Post
I have to say, it has chilling echo's of ellie lawrence...
4yo child killed by dog owned by uncle on merseyside(only including the place as it is so similar to previous)
i was going to add that in my post but didnt.... as i knew what cr*p id get thrown back
tazer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2009, 03:09 PM
Originally Posted by esmed View Post
As I said, I know the dogs actions were wrong but as always in these types of circumstances the full blame always ends with the dog. It is another classic example of why you don't leave dogs alone with kids regardless of how much you trust your dog or your kids.

Obviously this dog had some issues but I highly doubt it attacked for no reason.

It is a terrible tragedy and I really feel for the childs family but I think it is all too easy these days to put 100% blame on the dog and for humans to ease their own guilt in doing so. I'm sorry if that sounds harsh but it's just my opinion.
My opinion as well.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

30-11-2009, 03:16 PM
Originally Posted by johnderondon View Post
I absolutely would not have killed this dog. In fact I can't believe that authorites are still taking this tack.

I see no other option, what would you have them do with it... the dog has killed a child, regardless of its breeding/upbringing, responsible owners or not, the dog has to be PTS...

Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
thats so sad poor boy, and i feel for his family.

i really hope this wasnt a bull breed, or rotties or GSD etc. they get enough as it is.

but i do wonder what caused this, i dont believe the dog would have just attacked for no reason. i am not putting the blame at all on the boy, but when ellie laurenson was killed, it was said the dog really didnt like her and was put away from everyone when she was around therefore causing jealousy ect.

No they dont just attack for no reason, there will have been a reason, but what ever it was the child died and that's all that counts!!

Originally Posted by Wire Haired View Post
This is because dogs have morals and ethics. They know the difference between right and wrong and if they choose to hurt anyone they deserve to be killed. :roll: .

Sorry, not sure if you said that tongue in cheek or being serious.

Dogs know right from wrong, have morals and ethics and choosing to attack /hurt/kill a human, they deserve to be killed!!

I think the dog needed to be euthanised, but deserving it is another matter completey....

Terrible situation yet again!!!
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2009, 03:16 PM
This is because dogs have morals and ethics. They know the difference between right and wrong and if they choose to hurt anyone they deserve to be killed.

This is why dogs that kill are put to sleep but other animals and people are not. People are locked up for life or rehabilitated.

Other animals who kill might be put to sleep out of revenge but often they are handled better in future.

On the local news this morning they report that reptiles are more popular pets than dogs. Including poisonous snakes which should be kept with a licence.

It crossed my mind that if a child was killed by a reptile because they reached in the vivarium it would probably be given to a new owner or zoo where it would be properly contained.

OMG where are you coming from ? if dogs have morals & ethics why will they willingly mate with relatives ?? My bitch is literally throwing herself at her brother at the moment Hardly ethically nor moral.

Dogs like all animals live in the NOW(the only think I agree with CM on)they do not think "I will attack & kill this child & risk getting caught & being killed"

Dogs would not put up with being abused the way they are by humans & not retaliating, more often if they had ethics & morals

As for only dogs being the only animals killed if thy kill a human-you are so so wrong. There have been tigers & lions shot here in the UK because they attacked /& killed humans. Cattle that have on the rampage have been shot even before they have hurt anyone.

Less than 30 miles from here a man brandishing a sword was shot dead on the A53 because he was threatening people whilst off his head on drugs

Abroad many animals are killed(as are humans)if they take a human life(or threaten to)

No dog is born planning to attack & kill humans, their environs & their treatment at the hands of their owners causes 99% of attacks on humans.

As for keeping wild animals as pets, it totally disgusts me, snakes, reptiles, birds etc should life free in their natural habitat & not be confined in glass or wire cages. The only reason for having wildlife in captivity should be to re-establish the species in the wild & not for human voyeurism.
Wire Haired
New Member!
Female 

30-11-2009, 03:29 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Sorry, not sure if you said that tongue in cheek or being serious.
Tongue in cheek obviously, why did you think I used the ?
Wire Haired
New Member!
Female 

30-11-2009, 03:39 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
As for only dogs being the only animals killed if thy kill a human-you are so so wrong. There have been tigers & lions shot here in the UK because they attacked /& killed humans. Cattle that have on the rampage have been shot even before they have hurt anyone.
It's the lassie fantasy. Dogs are the only animals that are always killed.

Yes other animals are sometimes but not always. Every time a dog walker is trampled to death do you think farmers destroy their herds?

Cats kill other animals, including other pets, very regularly but they're excused as it being nature. Just read dog forums when someone's dog is attacked by another dog, most people think it should be destroyed.

While I think it is sometimes right that dogs that kill are put to sleep, I am fed up with "dogs are evil" when if the attack had been by the family cat it would be excused. People expect dogs to be perfect, not to retaliate when in pain and to accept any amount of abuse from their kids.
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2009, 03:47 PM
It's the lassie fantasy. Dogs are the only animals that are always killed.

Yes other animals are sometimes but not always. Every time a dog walker is trampled to death do you think farmers destroy their herds?

Cats kill other animals, including other pets, very regularly but they're excused as it being nature. Just read dog forums when someone's dog is attacked by another dog, most people think it should be destroyed.

While I think it is sometimes right that dogs that kill are put to sleep, I am fed up with "dogs are evil" when if the attack had been by the family cat it would be excused. People expect dogs to be perfect, not to retaliate when in pain and to accept any amount of abuse from their kids.
Oh come off it. The dog KILLED a 4 yo child!!!
ANY dog that kills a person should be PTS.

The difference between them and other animals is that dogs are domesticated animals and to show that level of aggression is not something that could or should safely be tolerated.
You cannot compare someone being trampled to death by a herd of cows to a dog killing a child.
I would be saying exactly the same if a cat had done the same but at the end of the day, no other animal did this but a dog. That dog KILLED a child, therefore it is not safe to keep the dog alive.
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2009, 03:48 PM
Oh and i dont see how dog on dog aggression has any relevance in this thread. they are 2 completely different things.
Page 6 of 53 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 16 > Last »