Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2006, 01:37 PM

Central heating.

I am freezing today so put the radiator on in the living room for a bit - I daren't use the gas fire cos its one of those living flame ones and they cost a lot to run don't they apparently so I just rely on the radiators. What I would like to know is if you have some radiators in some rooms switched off completely does this save money or are you better having all the radiators in the house on My radiators haven't got thermostats on them - they just switch on or off and are controlled by a back boiler and a thermostat in the living room

I'm just wondering whether I am actually saving money having them turned off in the rooms we aren't in or not.
IanTaylor
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

01-11-2006, 01:40 PM
I put my heating on the other day for the first time.... Got a gas bill in for £350 ... only been here about 3 months, no other Gas used other than heating a bit water to wash dishes and to run a bath... Turns out it was an estimated bill.. dspite there being a guy call to take a reading... Needless to say the gentleman at Scottish Power now has a ringing in his ears
franc1987
Almost a Veteran
Female 

01-11-2006, 01:42 PM
No idea sorry foxy
Kanikula
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2006, 01:43 PM
we use those portable heater thigs from argos! They are great!
We have very high ceilings in our flat (built in 1800s)and dont have gas. They are cheap to run have timers and heat settings - so the room temp doesnt go higher than you want as they switch off once the temp has been reached and then back on agin when the room cools.

We will be using them in our new house in pref to central heating!
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2006, 02:15 PM
Originally Posted by Kanikula View Post
We have very high ceilings in our flat (built in 1800s)and dont have gas. They are cheap to run have timers and heat settings - so the room temp doesnt go higher than you want as they switch off once the temp has been reached and then back on agin when the room cools.

Yes this house has a highish ceiling too.(built in 1939) What sort of portable heater is it Kanikula - is it the fan type ones?
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2006, 02:27 PM
it makes no difference fox the gas heats the water that flushes round whether it heads 4 or 8 rads its still the same gas ......plus the thermostat will not kick in if some rooms are cold...which means the more gas you use in theory
Kanikula
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2006, 02:30 PM
hang on ill check catalogur for them....
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2006, 02:31 PM
Originally Posted by Kanikula View Post

so they are electric ....what watts do they use per hr on high and low
Kanikula
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2006, 02:33 PM
right we have .... (in the argos)

pg 568 it 1
and another which looks as though its been discontinued but is similar to pg 567 it 7
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2006, 02:36 PM
I'm gonna boggle my own mind in a min thinking of stuff like this...lol...I don't have a real answer but I would think that if you have some rads off the water heated could all go to the ones you want only instead of sending it to the others and therefore having to heat more to provide more?...God I dunno...It's one of those things that once I get set on thinking about it I end up having to know the answer...lol

Last yr I actually broke the plumbing by trying to work something similar out...don't even ask what I did...LOL
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 > Last »