View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-07-2008, 08:12 AM
When I got married, I already had a dog, the dog stayed with me when I moved into the marital home, and when I got pregnant with my daughter, getting rid of the dog never even entered my head, in my early days children dogs and family all sort of went hand in hand, I never as far as I can remember heard of anyone getting rid of their dog because they were having a baby? this excuse seems to have gotten worse as the years go by, I think the press and the few bad owners about that have instigated a lot of the fears younger couples have today of bringing a child into a home with a dog? my daughter was raised around dogs, they were part of her life, she NEVER had a fear of dogs although she was taught to respect them and never approach a dog she did not know.as for not having the time for a dog with a young child, that never happened, taking my daughter out in her pram with the dog was a time that I as a young mother could have a break, a time to think, to get away from the stress that comes with having a baby, and my dog got his walk each day, lifestyles have changed over the years, many new mothers IMO dont go out for long walks with their child as they did when I was a young mother, they seem to pop on buses and jump in cars to take them to places to spend time with the baby this often pushes the dog out of the picture and means the dogs have to have a seperate time for their walks which is probably why many new mums say they dont have time for the dog.

mo
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

31-07-2008, 08:16 AM
I really hate the "we have just got a pup" reason. Most of the others mentioned I can see a reason for in certain cases, yes even the "i am having a baby" one.

Alot of people will just use the first thing that comes into their head when they decide they no longer want the dog but there will be people whos excuse will be the same but true and rehoming the dog could be for the best.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-07-2008, 08:41 AM
I think it may be a big reason for rehoming dogs, but also because when dogs reach adolecense and their owners have done no training they get fed up with having a ill manered fully grown dog rather than an ill manered puppy.

I think another major factor is people who never teach their dog to be happy when left at home - another reason why so many people take their dogs places in their cars. .....because "they hate being left at home!"
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-07-2008, 01:58 PM
if i had to rehome my dog i would do it within family (like my mum) but theres no way in he11 would i just give my dog up without giving her a chance

when i have kids, hopefully millie will still be around, and she will have to adjut with having to share me!
MissE
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-07-2008, 02:06 PM
I don't know if it is the single most popular reason, but it is one I have heard a few times. Although in the form of I'm pregnant and don't know if dog and baby will get on, so I'll out the dog now. Only last week I was offered a Kerry Blue for just said reason.
Reisu
Almost a Veteran
Female 

31-07-2008, 02:22 PM
you would think that dogs would be an advantage over babies for 'those type' (the ones who use babies as an excuse) of people. afterall, which housetrains fastest? it's harder to rehome the first three children when they start being agressive toward the new 8 week old baby too.
the rescue i volunteered at didn't have a very strict rehoming policy. they had dogs back for any reason from 'she's got a scar on her! ( )' to 'well our child was screaming in terror all the time we were here but hey, we took a dog anyway and three days later he's still scared so here she is back!' the reasons i saw for boomerangs most often were marriage breakups and where the kid has teased the hell out of the dog and the dog's growled/snapped at them. new baby is pretty close to the top though
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-09-2008, 06:36 PM
It really annoys me when people get rid of dogs because of a new baby or it just doesn't suit anymore. My dogs are my babies and part of the family. It would be like getting rid of my children!
We were offered a really well paid singing job in Dubai in an amazing hotel all paid for and tax free earnings and I refused to go because of the dogs. I said to my husband that there would be no point in me going without them because I'd be pining for them so much.
No - I got the dogs for life, not to get rid of them when it's inconvenient.
grommit
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-09-2008, 07:10 PM
A friend of mine gave up 1 of her staffies when she had her first born and now only has one dog? We are not close friends so i dont know all the details but this seemed rather odd to me...

Another friend is giving up her 2 rabbits at the moment because they dont give her any love apparently.... After hearing that i'm finding it very hard to stay friends with her. People can be so selfish cant they.
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

15-09-2008, 09:32 PM
I think that having a baby plays a big part in some people getting rid of their dogs. I remember years ago working beside a chap who had waited a good few years for the right Belgian Shepherd to come along and got the pup and everything in the garden was rosy and then afew weeks after getting the puppy his wife fell pregnant and within a couple of days of her coming home from the hospital with the new baby the dog was gone. Escuse was it might harm the baby, so the wife said, I asked him if he was a man or a mouse, when I found out the dog had gone.

There was also a recent post on here of a 10 month old Beagle looking for a home because of a baby coming. I just wish people would thing long and hard before getting a puppy, and get it for the right reasons and not because it is a substitute for a child.

The little poodle I had when I fell pregnant was 13 and a half year's old and sadly died on the night of my daughter's christening and I Was so devasteated as I think it is lovely for a baby to grow up with a dog, so when my daughter was around 18 months I got a Mini long dacshund puppy so they could grow up together, and it was the right thing for us. It taught her to respect dogs and to love them. She still has this love of dogs today and has two little papilions.
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-09-2008, 10:06 PM
Originally Posted by lovezois View Post
I think that having a baby plays a big part in some people getting rid of their dogs. I remember years ago working beside a chap who had waited a good few years for the right Belgian Shepherd to come along and got the pup and everything in the garden was rosy and then afew weeks after getting the puppy his wife fell pregnant and within a couple of days of her coming home from the hospital with the new baby the dog was gone. Escuse was it might harm the baby, so the wife said, I asked him if he was a man or a mouse, when I found out the dog had gone.

There was also a recent post on here of a 10 month old Beagle looking for a home because of a baby coming. I just wish people would thing long and hard before getting a puppy, and get it for the right reasons and not because it is a substitute for a child.

The little poodle I had when I fell pregnant was 13 and a half year's old and sadly died on the night of my daughter's christening and I Was so devasteated as I think it is lovely for a baby to grow up with a dog, so when my daughter was around 18 months I got a Mini long dacshund puppy so they could grow up together, and it was the right thing for us. It taught her to respect dogs and to love them. She still has this love of dogs today and has two little papilions.
excellent post Eunice,

completely agree, I was actually looking back through my video catalogue of all the silly little video clips i have of luca and bruno enjoying each other, and when he is older and perhaps Bruno is no longer with us, I know I will cry my little heart out when I watch them again.

For us they make our family complete and I cant imagine having to contemplate giving my dog up.

I have to say I got asked 3 times by 3 different people, "when i was getting rid of the dog" when I was heavily pregnant and walking Bruno.... i was astounded that its considered normal...
Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >