View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2008, 09:25 AM
5 mths is quite yong. As for cats, ALL mine are and have been netered. Things are so much different with Cats, behaviour issues are directly caused by uneutered males, such as fighting etc.. which in ferals pass on lethal diseases. Keeping cats in can be a real problem too, which is why I totally support the neutering of pet Cats.
hectorsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2008, 09:30 AM
when she comes back i'd ask if she could change her vet pronto!

i wouldnt trust this vet because they have shown bullying tactics and lack of basic breed recognition.

this would worry me as there is no choice whether to neuter or not.
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2008, 09:30 AM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
5 mths is quite yong. As for cats, ALL mine are and have been netered. Things are so much different with Cats, behaviour issues are directly caused by uneutered males, such as fighting etc.. which in ferals pass on lethal diseases. Keeping cats in can be a real problem too, which is why I totally support the neutering of pet Cats.
Totally agree with the above!
It makes a huge difference to cats when they are done, they are then pets and not constantly looking to mate. Male cats also develop a more puggy look about them if they are left entire.
Never had an unneutered cat.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2008, 10:09 AM
Originally Posted by TalentedMrRiply View Post
Why would she not want this done?
I know some people disagree. Keira was 6 months and Kato will be about 12-18 months must say I am from the school of early neautering.
Early neutering(especially of males)affected the closure of the growth plates in the long bones for starters-there is a direct link to the correct closure of growth plates in canines & testosterone & obviously removing the testes & ovaries stops the production of testosterone(& yes females do have testosterone). This leads to joint problems in later life & the dog growing taller & leggier than normal.

Early neutering of cats is a whole different ball game & an unspayed unmated queen will be in season every month & if not mated will eventually become ill, male develop antisocial behaviours(such as spraying, fighting etc)early neutering of felines prevents the queens coming in season & the toms from wanting to fight. Cats can get pregnant whilst still nursing kittens. My tom was sexually mature at 14 weeks ! & was castrated @ that age.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2008, 10:12 AM
I do know there was a study in Rottweilers that showed early neutering affected the reported cases of bone cancer in the breed too. It was much higer in neutered animals.
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

09-07-2008, 10:19 AM
Picture this scenario
Vets practise which the fam have been going too for nearly thirty years, good old fashioned realistic practise, gets a new young fresh out of training partner who is one of the current partners nephew. We go with a bouncy, lively, hormonal young male gundog..typical really, who is maybe slightly a tad dominant and slightly getting out of control. We get bullied by this new vet into castrating, really lured into a sense it woud cure everything. And going against the judgement of nearly always having intact dogs we did.
We ended up with a very nervy dog, very nervy indeed. His hormones calmed a bit but not much, and he's became very anti-social to strange dogs since having the chop. It doesn't always benefit the dog and in future i'll be leaving well alone thankyou.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

09-07-2008, 10:22 AM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
I do know there was a study in Rottweilers that showed early neutering affected the reported cases of bone cancer in the breed too. It was much higer in neutered animals.
Yes I have read that too.

At the end of the day it is the owners decision when and if she wished to "fix" her dog...

As someone else said, I would be looking for a new vet if they cant tell the colour of a Lad..... it is not that difficcult.

Originally Posted by TalentedMrRiply
Why would she not want this done?

Maybe she would like to just make her own mind up in the future...

Her dog , her choice.
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2008, 10:30 AM
At least she found some one who could help, well done for putting her right , sounds like she booked him in at just the right time x
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2008, 10:32 AM
I think the problem is that where do the majority of average 'pet' owners get their information from? Their vets.
Even if you get a good book on a certain breed or animal they won't necessarily go into it in such depths as you could get on here with everyone's knowledge and opinions.
So how are they ever to make a truly informed choice?

Unless they come on here of course....and then, no offence, but they may think it is all beyond them and feel 'blinded by science' and just listen to their vets anyway!
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2008, 01:42 PM
Perhaps the vet felt if the owner could`nt even state the dogs colour herself it might be best she not be in charge of an intact dog...
Just a thought...
Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >