Almost a Veteran
Female 

08-12-2011, 07:41 PM
Caravan
Larrabee
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-12-2011, 09:48 PM
In theory, if they agreed to let you come back home with the dogs then they need to treat you and the dogs properly, if they weren't willing to do that they should have just said no.

On some level though I can kind of understand why they feel a bit cheesed off, they thought their adult daughters had grown up and left home but it sounds like they've actually been inundated with grandchildren and granddogs for years, its probably more stressful than when you were teenagers!

The practical option is to kit out the garage so its a safe space for the dogs.

The best thing would be to move out, are you absolutely 100% sure this isn't an option? You've done it once before!
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2011, 05:38 PM
Moving out isnt an option. When I moved out before it was with a boyfriend, we got a mortgage but I never paid any of it as I didnt earn enough (I did pay utility bills etc). My current loan takes too much of a chunk out of my wages for me to afford to move out. Once that is paid I could consider it.

As it stands currently, I wouldnt allow the dogs in the garage. It does have natural light due to clear plastic panels on the roof but it's cold, damp and there is just no way Flynn would take to it. Fortunately my Mum thinks it's a ridiculous, cruel idea anyway and she is the one home with them all day.

Taking 1 to work with me is an option but they would spend most of their time stuck in my van. I couldnt take all 3 as my van is full of work equipment. My job does involve me spending plenty of time in pavilions on parks and i've often thought about taking a dog with me so thats a viable thought. 2 dogs under your feet is better than 3!
K'Ehleyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2011, 06:36 PM
You can borrow my mum, she has all my dogs while Im on holiday and she loves them and doesnt moan and she has 4 bedrooms to herself now since my youngest sis moved out

She doesnt let them upstairs though but I think they can live with that.

I suppose Im very lucky.

Hope you find a solution soon hun xxx
Larrabee
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-12-2011, 07:00 PM
Originally Posted by Leanne_W View Post
Moving out isnt an option. When I moved out before it was with a boyfriend, we got a mortgage but I never paid any of it as I didnt earn enough (I did pay utility bills etc). My current loan takes too much of a chunk out of my wages for me to afford to move out. Once that is paid I could consider it.

As it stands currently, I wouldnt allow the dogs in the garage. It does have natural light due to clear plastic panels on the roof but it's cold, damp and there is just no way Flynn would take to it. Fortunately my Mum thinks it's a ridiculous, cruel idea anyway and she is the one home with them all day.

Taking 1 to work with me is an option but they would spend most of their time stuck in my van. I couldnt take all 3 as my van is full of work equipment. My job does involve me spending plenty of time in pavilions on parks and i've often thought about taking a dog with me so thats a viable thought. 2 dogs under your feet is better than 3!

I don't suppose your parents would be willing to help you out with paying off that loan or with your living costs for a bit in exchange for getting you out of the house?!

Have you considered moving into a shared house? That's cheaper than being on your own, and while it isn't ideal with dogs maybe there's someone else out there in a similar position, you never know!
dizzi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

09-12-2011, 07:26 PM
The other issue with moving out (I live very near Leanne) is that I know how much of a bunch of bananas the letting agents round here are if you've got pets in tow. One set of the local big guys wouldn't even make calls to landlords to see if they'd consider one pathetic little disabled moggie - let alone three dogs!

It was the main reason that pushed us into buying in the end really - because it was just proving utterly impossible to find a rental in this area that would allow even a cat (we didn't get the dogs till we'd moved)

Shared houses... shudders at the memory of the housemates from hell I had at uni - we had one who kept on borrowing all our stuff (so we swapped the sugar for salt, and she invited a bloke back for coffee...), flipped out and threatened to sue us for using the toilet... another who didn't come out of her room for a whole year as far as we could gather and one who couldn't get his head around the fact Neighbours (communal viewing of Neighbours = fundamental part of student life in the 1990s) was on every single day and was convinced it was just a repeat the BBC kept showing to save production costs!
Larrabee
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-12-2011, 07:47 PM
But Leanne is already house sharing unsatisfactorily!
Tegs_mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

09-12-2011, 10:00 PM
Teg says all his friends can come stay here.....
My cat isn't so impressed with this idea

I can't see you being allowed a kennel or similar in your mums garden. Would be good if you could though.

You'll just have to get a second job so you can get out quicker
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2011, 11:28 PM
1st BC I owned was when I lived with Mom and Dad, she was never allowed in the house ...well so they said, so she had a huge kennel built by Dad, with insulation for the winter months and in the summer had the whole garden to pick a space to sleep.

Often I would come in early from school to find her sat next to my Mother having tea and toast ....not that my Mother ever owned up to it, infact one time she actually said ''' Oh!! how has she got in here, I didn't notice her'' obviously the saucer of tea was for something else

When it rained heavy Dad could be heard getting up to let her in, even though his home made kennel was water proof, bomb proof and sound proof....sound proof for the dog ( so she could get a good nights sleep) not for the neighbours
When it snowed Mom would send her to bed with a hot water bottle wrapped up in a pillow case and a extra blanket
And if it thundered and lightened then they would bring her in as they didn't want the kennel caught in a lightening strike ....... of course if you asked....she was a defo outdoor dog

Seriously parents make the rules and as much as we find them irritating there is little that can be done....except I would probably suggest a kennel in the garage for maybe a couple of hours a day...natural light and a warm place to lie
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-12-2011, 08:29 AM
LOl Katie, Poor Ebby! I reckon Jed would find a way into your Bunnies at some point too

At least your Mum agrees though Leanne, which means they're probably safe for a bit..
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >