View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-08-2011, 12:01 PM
But I'm betting that Tyler isn't less of a Stafford or have less character because he is friendly with other dogs?
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-08-2011, 12:05 PM
Originally Posted by chaz View Post
But I'm betting that Tyler isn't less of a Stafford or have less character because he is friendly with other dogs?
No and he is well bred,I am aware that some dogs carrying his lines can be firey.
Craig & Lorna
Dogsey Junior
Male 

22-08-2011, 12:09 PM
Good for you for saying that you will be able to take back any pups, there are many breeders who wouldn't, but if breeders know that there is anything that could affect their breed, IMO they would do anything they can to prevent any pups they breed from suffefing from it. Can I ask though, when at least hip scoring is generally the norm in many breeds why not staffords? And yes Im sat on the outside, I have no intrest in showing, and would rather espcailly in a breed that so many are pts daily rather let people know more about the dogs who are in desperate need of homes then breeding more DA dogs into the world if I'm honest.
I would assume that the BVA has looked at the numbers of Staffords that are registered each year, and come to the conclusion that there isn't a high enough percentage with Hip and elbow problems for it to be classed as a "breed problem" that needs addressing.

If the figures were higher i'm sure that they would have no problem with making Hip and elbow testing compulsary. i'm not suggesting that no Staffords have ever suffered from either, but i do honestly believe that "most" Stafford breeders (Well most that i know of) would look to have something done if they thought they were seeing problems in pups that they had bred.

I try to do all i can to make sure that anyone that has a pup that we have bred, is as informed as they can be and that they have as healthy a pup as i can give them. We get emails and phone calls on a regular basis asking for pups, we have turned alot of people down because they already have dogs or we just do not feel that they are suitable. We try to educate people about health tests, also pass peoples details on to other breeders, and recommend breeders that we feel could help them, so that they do not end up with a pup that is not tested or pay over the odds for a "rare" blue.

I could breed alot more litters than i have and just sell them, but as i have already said, i breed because i have intentions of keeping a pup myself.

Just to clarify, i am not condoning irrisponsible ownership. Nor do i condone anyone allowing their dog off lead and terrorising other peoples dogs, and making a nuisance of themselves. I am fully aware of what my dogs are capable of, and live with the fact as responsibly as i can. i just wish that more people were aware, then there wouldn't be so many cases of people rehoming or putting Staffords to sleep because they didn't know that their Stafford would grow up not liking other dogs.

All i am trying to get across, is that Staffords can be dog aggressive without any training at all. People need to be aware of the fact, not try to brush it under the carpet and pretend that they are just a friendly little dog. (They can be) BUT They can and do turn dog aggressive for no reason. It is the nature of the beast (As they say)

I haven't come across many Staffords that are happy in a "pack", infact most are much happier away from other dogs and with human interaction. Of course there are some that are fine.
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-08-2011, 12:13 PM
Another point to remember is a stafford will not go looking for trouble and will go out of his way to avoid it but should confrontation come the staffords way then very rarely will they back down.
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-08-2011, 12:23 PM
When I was at a staff rescue I was amazed at how he had his dogs loose with each other, he locked a few up at feeding time, and at night time and if there was no-one there, but he had at least one very well bred dog there, and his dogs were allowed to mix with each other and other breeds aswell (he couldn't cope with Diesel who was sent home with his tail between his legs after jumping a fence after a pheasent and the man couldn't get him back, but he was good with his bull breeds if not lurchers) and I do know that Staffs can be DA but many aren't, I use to dogsit, and there were a few at kennels who were good with all dogs but other bully breeds, there were some who couldn't be near any other dogs, and some who even though they were not allowed actual contact loved playing through the fence with other dogs, but I do think that responsible breeders can begin to breed out DA, while retainig all the characteristics that makes a Stafford a Stafford, and even if a dog was winning all the shows it went into, the show ring can't say on its own whether a dog should be bred or not in response to your earlier posts .
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-08-2011, 12:27 PM
Originally Posted by Craig & Lorna View Post
Late night last night, and i do not seem to be able to get acorss what i am trying to say. Or maybe i am and it is just falling on deaf ears.

To suggest that a Stafford that is dog aggressive should not be bred from is utter rubbish ! Most are naturally dog aggressive, yes there are those that will happily play with other dogs, but there are also those that will not !

If you visit most Stafford rings at any KC event, you will see more than a few dogs and bitches that are having a go at eachother in and out of the ring. Most owners (Bar the idiots) keep their dogs on tight leads and are fully aware of what their dog is capable of. Again there are those that will happily wag their tails, sniff eachother...etc... Some of the top winning dogs in this country, will not tolerate eacother. Should these dogs also be excluded from breeding programmes ?

I am not advocating dog fighting at all, but Staffords can and do have a temprement that means they will not get along with other dogs, to imply that they do not is more dangerous for the breed than anyone admitting that they can be dog aggressive, and trying to educate people !

You only need to read forums such as these to see how many people go into owning this breed blind. With the ammount of .... "**** growled at another dog today what should i do" posts. You own a Stafford, surely you were aware that these problems could arise, if not why didn't you research first, and who sold you a dog without knowing what you were potentially getting yourself in for ?

Nobody would condem a German Shepherd for defending it's house, it's natural instinct. Again there are some that wont, that doesn't mean that they are not naturally guarding !

Some Staffords are not naturally dog aggressive, but as a breed they generally are !

It drives me mad when Staffords and their owners are comdemned for something which is part of the breed. Yes it needs to be controlled and understood, but it is there !

Subjects like this often take a turn for the worse on "all breed" forums, more so than "breed specific" forums. Maybe because owners of different breeds, do not fully understand and just assume that Staffords and "Bull breeds" should be more like their breed ?

Firstly don't be so patronising. Nobody here thinks all breeds should behave in precisely the same way - but yes most of us DO worry about the sheer number of Staffies being KILLED on a weekly basis!

If you truly loved the breed, then WHY WHY WHY would you endorse producing yet more of a breed that is being euthanised in its thousands???

Nobody is saying that a Staffie is 'naturally' as, for instance, as easy going as many Labs - just for an example.

But you seem to be at the other extreme and seem to welcome breeding from dogs that are aggressive. And by 'aggressive' I mean dogs that can and do maul other dogs to death.

Go and visit a rescue, go and look at all the poor Staffies in there.
Craig & Lorna
Dogsey Junior
Male 

22-08-2011, 12:29 PM
Please don't spin what i have said.

For arguements sake, as used in a previous post. German Shepherds are a natural guarding breed. If you stopped breeding from any German Shepherd that showed any signs of guarding it's home or owners..etc.. You WOULD change the breed. Yes there are those that do not show guarding instinct.

If you take the dog aggression out of Staffords, you will change the breed, if you want a Stafford then you take them knowing what you are getting. If what they are doesn't suit you, that's fine, don't have one. I don't want a dog that has been purposly bred to be a watered down version of it's former self. If i have a dog that shows no dog aggression, that's fine too, but i will be aware that it is there ! It's like a pointer that doens't point

All of my dogs are fantastic family pets, they will play all day everyday with my children and anyone elses children that they come across. They just don't like other dogs, i can live with that !
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-08-2011, 12:33 PM
Part of the problem would be that sometimes the DA may not show itself until the dog is well into maturity. You can have litter mates where one or more may go on to be DA and one or more will be very easy going.
My friend has a DA staffie and yet he accepts all my dogs including my staffie without any grief, but he can't be trusted with any other dog he meets.
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-08-2011, 12:37 PM
If I were in a postion to get a staff it would be one of the lovely ones in a rescue who has never shown aggression to another dog, as there is plenty about, in fact my fav lil girl just that, her daughter I couldn't own right now, but Skye, a gorgeous happy piggy Staff, a stunning red, three year old, had two litters now looking for a new home who is great with other dogs, a big clown who loves her home comforts and her food, gets excited and happy and runs around like a puppy when she can be bothered too, I'd love a dog like that, her daughters lush and although will walk past another dog can not be trusted to great, theres also a stunning black and white male who I'd love, but he seems to wanna kill all who he meets, I wonder how long he would be waiting for a home but with his temperment people would be willing to breed him
Craig & Lorna
Dogsey Junior
Male 

22-08-2011, 12:38 PM
Originally Posted by TabithaJ View Post
Firstly don't be so patronising. Nobody here thinks all breeds should behave in precisely the same way - but yes most of us DO worry about the sheer number of Staffies being KILLED on a weekly basis!

If you truly loved the breed, then WHY WHY WHY would you endorse producing yet more of a breed that is being euthanised in its thousands???

Nobody is saying that a Staffie is 'naturally' as, for instance, as easy going as many Labs - just for an example.

But you seem to be at the other extreme and seem to welcome breeding from dogs that are aggressive. And by 'aggressive' I mean dogs that can and do maul other dogs to death.

Go and visit a rescue, go and look at all the poor Staffies in there.
I haven't been patronising to anyone ! It is quite clear that some people do expect all breeds to behave the same way.

The rescue situation is tragic, i'm not suggesting otherwise. However, there are some people that do not want to go down the rescue route. They want a well bred puppy that is health tested and that they can have some knowledge of it's history.

I would not tell anyone that they are wrong for bringing a rescue into their home, and i certainly wouldn't expect to be told that i can not go and get myself a well bred health tested pedigree dog if i so wish.

I have 2 children and i want to know (as much as i can) that whatever dog i bring into my home is stable. A rescue just doesn't do it for me. I have 3 generations of Staffords here, and i know as much as i can about everything that is behind them. Including whether or not they were dog aggressive and if they have had any health problems.

Also i am not advocating actively looking for aggressive dogs, what i said was i wouldn't exclude a dog aggressive dog for that reason !
Page 6 of 18 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 16 > Last »