View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-08-2011, 08:22 PM

"My Staffie has a really good nature so we're going to breed from him..." Aaaaghhhhhh

A big group of us were at the park today, walking our dogs and chatting. I got talking to the owner of a male Staffie. He was a nice dog; when he first met Dexter he began growling but I got between them and after a bit he calmed down. He was then fine with Dex and the other dogs.

His owner started telling me that because his dog has 'such a great' temperament, he is planning on mating him with a friend's Staffie.

I pointed out that the rescues are inundated with Staffies and I also reminded him about health tests, etc etc. But I think my remarks fell on deaf ears...

Then, later this same Staffie got into a 'disagreement' with one of the other dogs. The owner quickly put him on the lead while insisting "I've never seem him do that before, ever! He looked like he was going to take a bite out of that dog's neck!"

But I bet he'll go ahead and breed from this dog
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-08-2011, 08:26 PM
There are just so many people carelessly breeding, it really does need to stop!
Magpyex
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-08-2011, 08:29 PM
Unfortunately I think there's only so much you can do in these sorts of situations

It's sad to think that he will probably go ahead and breed his dog anyway but at least you did your best to change his mind
WheatenDaneMom
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-08-2011, 08:58 PM
If there is money to be made... *roll eyes*
twilightwolf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-08-2011, 10:36 PM
you should have dragged him down to the nearest rescue centre and pointed and said "look, look, look"

There is just so many thousands no wait millions of staffies not just in the UK but worldwide which are in need of new homes. Cute pups are not always the answer! And has he thought of how easy it is going to be to even find these dogs the right sort of home? not everyone is going to be as (perfect) as he is....... Some people are scum. Personally with dog fighting on the increase, i would not want to breed staffie pups as i would not forgive myself if they ever did fall into the wrong hands and something bad happened to them.

Rescue them.. Save a life. Not just add to an ever growing problem. For each staffie puppy that is born, just think of how many are out there in kennels for months on end hoping for that right home. A home, which someone will sooner give to a cute little puppy.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

22-08-2011, 06:18 AM
It sounds like you were wasting your breath. Well done for trying though.

Sounds to me he hasn't the right temperament at all growling at Dexter and then having ago at another dog.
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-08-2011, 07:40 AM
A friend of a friend breeds staffies but all ways has a home for them to go to i dont about weather they do the health tests.

Such a sad fate for the staffie so many irrasponsible dog owners perhaps you could meet with the owner and take him to a local re homing centre to show him just how many taffies are in re homming centres??
Craig & Lorna
Dogsey Junior
Male 

22-08-2011, 07:55 AM
I usually just read these sort of threads and sit on my hands. So that i do not get into a row, because i know how they usually end up.

Can anyone who has a problem with breeding from a dog aggressive Stafford please tell me why ? It is a Stafford ! From what has been said the dog is not human aggressive. What is the problem ?

Lack of health tests...etc.. Is a different story all together and i am not suggesting that non health tested stock should be bred from, it's the aggression thing that has got me wondering.

Off to get a tin hat
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-08-2011, 08:02 AM
Originally Posted by Craig & Lorna View Post
I usually just read these sort of threads and sit on my hands. So that i do not get into a row, because i know how they usually end up.

Can anyone who has a problem with breeding from a dog aggressive Stafford please tell me why ? It is a Stafford ! From what has been said the dog is not human aggressive. What is the problem ?

Lack of health tests...etc.. Is a different story all together and i am not suggesting that non health tested stock should be bred from, it's the aggression thing that has got me wondering.

Off to get a tin hat
Why would you breed from any dog that is dog aggressive? Staffies are not naturally aggressive, mine and many I meet out are lovely, sociable friendly dogs. To be creating potential problematic pups for a breed already in crisis in this country is absolute madness. Dog friendly Staffies are being destroyed in their thousands and dog aggressive Staffies are the first in that queue.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-08-2011, 08:07 AM
Why would you breed from any breed of dog, of which there are hundreds already in rescues, as has already been pointed out.

Dogs are not status symbols or cash machines
Your gonna need that tin hat
Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 4 11 > Last »