Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-09-2010, 06:59 PM

"Mum...what's that thing on his mouth?"

"It's to stop the mean dog biting you"

That's something I hear countless times on my walks. I obviously think it's good that they're not letting their children approach Axel, but I also don't like them being taught that dogs are scary nasty creatures.

When they give me the chance, I explain that he used to race and we use his muzzle to protect smaller animals that he may think are prey he's supposed to chase.

I have enough trouble with people in my area running away (literally) and screaming (yes, I've had that too) but I'd like people to at least ask me why he wears it, not tell people it's cos he'll bite them!

I could understand if he was lunging to get to everyone and barking, but he walks nicely by my side, giving people a wide berth. Oh well, at least I'm safe in my area

p.s. does he look scary to you?

Does anyone else have a similar thing happen when their dogs are muzzled???
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-09-2010, 07:02 PM
Only about as scary as this one who is also muzzled to protect other animals.

Where do you get that type of muzzle by the way?
Manyana13
Almost a Veteran
Female 

23-09-2010, 07:08 PM
That is pure ignorance (and stupidity)! Axel couldn't look scary if he tried!
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-09-2010, 07:09 PM
No wonder people are scared of Axel, look how aggressive he is Bless
I've never muzzled a dog of mine, but wouldn't hesitate if necessary, but I know of the misconceptions.
Vicki_Ann
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-09-2010, 07:35 PM
Yep, when Bear is muzzled he looks quite the Hannibal and people avoid him like the plague (more so now he looks like he has a shot wound on his head too!).

We look like a right bunch when we go out with Bear muzzled, my parents' two greys muzzled and then the three pups. I think people think we're completely dreadful with dogs and are just wondering when the other three will be fitted for their muzzles

Some people do ask about Bear, but other people assume he's a raging monster and take a wide berth. I just think whatever, but wish dog people would take a wide berth with their dogs!!!
tillytheterrier
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-09-2010, 07:40 PM
My old collie cross was muzzled and people either acted like she was a leper or wouldnt believe she could bite because she was to pretty! (she was gorgeous by the way ) I even had one old bint shouting at me in the street, saying I was cruel to muzzle her. I had a few choice words to say to her, I can assure you!
Vicki_Ann
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-09-2010, 07:40 PM
P.S. I would also like to ask where I could get one of those snazzy muzzles :P
Bear would look much less fearsome in one of those and I'm sure it would be more comfy for him too!
JackieandMia
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-09-2010, 07:44 PM
He doesn't look scary he looks lovely.
Whenever i see a Greyhound muzzled my first thought is they used to race i thought it would be common sense but there are some very ignorant people out there.
littlefoot
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-09-2010, 07:53 PM
I got the same sort of reaction the other day. I'm not quite sure how a gentle leader would stop him biting. Here's the bad dog.

I'm thinking it might be time to educate the children in schools. Maybe they will have a better understanding than their parents.
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-09-2010, 07:58 PM
Thanks guys, glad it's not just me who thinks he looks harmless! Yours doesn't look scary either Sarah!

Wow, I bet it's a sight with those Greys and crew muzzled, I had to laugh at the thought of others guessing when the pups get muzzled!

How on earth would that stop anyone getting bitten?! Yes, education would be great, but you can't always override what the parents instil

About the muzzle, I can't post the forum link, but if you google Greyhound Gap, go to their forum (I don't think you have to register to buy) and go into 'things on sale with ALL profit...' and onto the thread with 'new model muzzle' and it's there!! I think it's about £8...

If that gets removed, I'll pm you the link, or let me know if you'd like me to pm the link regardless

I'm glad it's not just me who has these issues, I just wish people would realise he has a muzzle on, so is less of a threat than any other dog walking the street!!!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >