Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2009, 02:13 PM
Originally Posted by lilypup View Post
i guess the bottom line is that the man was totally irresponsible in putting the dogs lead down. he is fully to blame for what occurred and i hope they do track him down and justice is served on him.
i agree lol
tabsmagic
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-11-2009, 04:03 PM
Originally Posted by lilypup View Post

i'm not excusing the mans behaviour, just trying to understand it. personally i would have stayed and i don't say he was right to have not done so.

Ah, ok -yes - trying to understand it i can do- excuse it I cannot- thank you as we obviously got wires crossed on that one and you have cleared the confusion...
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

21-11-2009, 04:32 PM
I think it is awful that he walked away, but knowing how Ollie reacts too some dogs but obviously is not given the chance too attack as he is under my control at all times and I am not even sure he would because I make sure it doesn't happen, but if for some reason he did I would make sure the other dog was ok but there would be no point in tying him up 11 stone of dog in that mood would more than likely break free too try again.

I would firstly go home then go to a police station too report it, or would of tried to make contact with the person whose dog was injured so I could get in touch.

All this would have too be done of course with a dog that has just attacked another dog adrenalin running high, not the easiest thing to do in the circumstances.

Most of these reports
get into the local paper so I would think that would be the best thing to do get in touch with the paper saying what your dog had done and leaving details with the paper for the owner to get in touch.

Its all very sad and frightening and I am sure we all think we would know what we would do but until it happens none of does know what we would do, hopefully it would be the right thing.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

21-11-2009, 04:54 PM
Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
I think it is awful that he walked away, but knowing how Ollie reacts too some dogs but obviously is not given the chance too attack as he is under my control at all times and I am not even sure he would because I make sure it doesn't happen, but if for some reason he did I would make sure the other dog was ok but there would be no point in tying him up 11 stone of dog in that mood would more than likely break free too try again.

I would firstly go home then go to a police station too report it, or would of tried to make contact with the person whose dog was injured so I could get in touch.

All this would have too be done of course with a dog that has just attacked another dog adrenalin running high, not the easiest thing to do in the circumstances.

Most of these reports
get into the local paper so I would think that would be the best thing to do get in touch with the paper saying what your dog had done and leaving details with the paper for the owner to get in touch.

Its all very sad and frightening and I am sure we all think we would know what we would do but until it happens none of does know what we would do, hopefully it would be the right thing.
I agree, the attack was horrific, and we can all castigate the chap, he made a terrible mistake, letting the lead drop , as from his reaction, he knew the dog was dog aggressive.

Maybe he felt removing the dog from the scene the best thing to do, or maybe he just got scared I dont know, and neither does anyone else .

As for turning himself in... can I ask what for, as far as I know dog on dog attacks are not taken seriously by the police, and anyone who has tried to involve the police in such situations will know, they will tell you, they cant do anything about it.

And as sad as this is, its no different to a dog attacking another dog in a park or anywhere else...

We dont know what the owner is feeling, he was careless and irresponsible dropping the leash, he may be keeping his head down for a couple of reasons, fear, shame, I dont know.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

21-11-2009, 05:46 PM
Personally for me I would have to do something to try to make my apologies especially as this was a guide dog.

But my main concern would be removing my dog from the situation mainly for safety reasons, albeit too late in this instance.

That is me though I could not bear to live with the thought of what my dog may of done to another dog or human.

I would not sleep at night.
madisondobie
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-11-2009, 06:33 PM
As for turning himself in... can I ask what for, as far as I know dog on dog attacks are not taken seriously by the police, and anyone who has tried to involve the police in such situations will know, they will tell you, they cant do anything about it.
Because your dog has seriously hurt another dog - the other dog needed vet treatment which had to be paid for even if it were insured the excess would have to be paid and any treatment the dog needed to get it back to work. If my dog were attacked in this manner although i could understand him possibly being scared and wanting to get his dog out of the situation i would not understand him not trying to find out how my dog was and if there were anything he could do ie payment for treatment?!

One of my clients dog was attacked two weeks ago by a dog aggresive dog(owner of dog admitted it was dog aggressive and should have had a better grip on lead) and was quite badly hurt the other owner was at fault and after dragging their dog off they stood at a distance and gave contact details whilst apologising profusely, they paid the excess on the vet bill and have now fitted their dog with a muzzle - not saying the man in clip could have stood there exchanging details but nor should he not care about what his dog does.
This happens all too often dog attacks another dog and owner of attacking dog walks off leaving the other owner with a badly injured dog and we are just meant to say oh well it happens don't bother to offer to pay vet bills etc

Sorry bit of a rant as recently a dog walker friend had one of his dogs attacked by two american bulldogs which practicaly ripped the poor dogs throat out, owner of ABs just shouted a warning that his dogs were going to attack-both were off lead and came running out of the woods! after the dog walker managed to drag the main dog off(other was more barking and snapping) and after being badly bitten himself the AB owner put their leads on and walzt off telling my friend he was an ******** idiot, leaving my friend to pick up the dog and rush him to the vet where he survived justafter spending three days there but is now petrified to go out.
Tancredreynolds
Dogsey Junior
Male 

21-11-2009, 07:09 PM
Originally Posted by madisondobie View Post
Because your dog has seriously hurt another dog - the other dog needed vet treatment which had to be paid for even if it were insured the excess would have to be paid and any treatment the dog needed to get it back to work. If my dog were attacked in this manner although i could understand him possibly being scared and wanting to get his dog out of the situation i would not understand him not trying to find out how my dog was and if there were anything he could do ie payment for treatment?!

One of my clients dog was attacked two weeks ago by a dog aggresive dog(owner of dog admitted it was dog aggressive and should have had a better grip on lead) and was quite badly hurt the other owner was at fault and after dragging their dog off they stood at a distance and gave contact details whilst apologising profusely, they paid the excess on the vet bill and have now fitted their dog with a muzzle - not saying the man in clip could have stood there exchanging details but nor should he not care about what his dog does.
This happens all too often dog attacks another dog and owner of attacking dog walks off leaving the other owner with a badly injured dog and we are just meant to say oh well it happens don't bother to offer to pay vet bills etc

Sorry bit of a rant as recently a dog walker friend had one of his dogs attacked by two american bulldogs which practicaly ripped the poor dogs throat out, owner of ABs just shouted a warning that his dogs were going to attack-both were off lead and came running out of the woods! after the dog walker managed to drag the main dog off(other was more barking and snapping) and after being badly bitten himself the AB owner put their leads on and walzt off telling my friend he was an ******** idiot, leaving my friend to pick up the dog and rush him to the vet where he survived justafter spending three days there but is now petrified to go out.
I totally agree and what I cant get my head around is if you know your dog to be aggressive (this owner knew it) then put a bloody muzzle on it.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2009, 07:37 PM

i totally agree 100%, well said! i couldnt have said it as well as that.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

21-11-2009, 08:00 PM

I agree with everything you say, its not the fact his dog attacked another but the morality of the owner.

The fact is, the dog attacked another dog and horrific as it is, added to the fact it is a guide dog, which sets emotions even higher.........But it is not a crime in as such as the bloke has broken the law and will be prosecuted,

The police are asking for him to come forward, put yourself in his position, just maybe he loves his dog, (knows its faults) but may fear his dog will be seized and destroyed!!!!! I wonder how many of us would come forward in such a situation, and risk your dog being taken and PTS

Its easy for us all to judge, but in his situation, what would you do...if he comes forward and offers to pay vets bills, his dog may be taken and destroyed under the ilegal dogs act.

I have to say , in his position, I am not sure what I would do, if my conscience was troubling me, maybe make a donation to their charity or such like, would I willingly put my dog in the position of being siezed, I really dont know!!!
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

21-11-2009, 08:01 PM
I agree with all you say MD it is being a decent human being at the end of the day whether you are in a position to sort it out there and then and if not too make sure you do something about it later.

I still stand by what I said earlier though it may not be safe and in any one's best interest too try too sort it out immediately. But you should take responsibility for what damage your dog has done.
Page 7 of 22 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 17 > Last »