register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
pete
Almost a Veteran

04-03-2005, 07:19 AM
well with contradictive and misinformative posts like yours no wonder the public get so confused .

"Staffies were bred for one thing initially, Bull Baiting, " not true that was bull dogs

"I get heartily peed off with the staffy owners that bat on about how good their dog is with children and people"
"I don't disagree that their ability with people is excellent, they are a brilliant family dog no doubt about it" contadictive dont you think

from what i can see most of your post is aimed at the so called irish stafford "Talking up gameness " "It does your breed no favours that the Irish are bringing in illegal APDTs."

if you work with these crosses everyday you will know that a stafford is a stafford and a mixed blood isnt so dont tar all with same brush .
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-03-2005, 07:54 AM
kirstie b
Almost a Veteran
Female 

04-03-2005, 08:22 AM
Doglistener
Dogsey Senior

04-03-2005, 08:56 AM
Originally Posted by pete
well with contradictive and misinformative posts like yours no wonder the public get so confused .

"Staffies were bred for one thing initially, Bull Baiting, " not true that was bull dogs

"I get heartily peed off with the staffy owners that bat on about how good their dog is with children and people"
"I don't disagree that their ability with people is excellent, they are a brilliant family dog no doubt about it" contadictive dont you think

from what i can see most of your post is aimed at the so called irish stafford "Talking up gameness " "It does your breed no favours that the Irish are bringing in illegal APDTs."

if you work with these crosses everyday you will know that a stafford is a stafford and a mixed blood isnt so dont tar all with same brush .
I see your blinkers are firmly in place. And of course we have Laura who clearly cannot assimilate the threat to the breed and will be one of the first to scream when they ban staffords, and it is coming I promise you. I am involved in some consultation commitees regarding a number of proposed acts that are presently being worked through before being presented for the statute books, I am horrified by what is being muted by people that know sod all about dogs.

Laura cannot even see that I am for the breed not against it but am warning you against your own attitudes and complacency. If you cannot see that then go stew in your own belligerence

Just look at the posts on this forum alone when I say I get sick of the only good thing they can say is that they are good with children and people, when I go to specific Staffy sites that is almost the first sentence that comes out. So it is not a contradiction it is a statement , I have agreed that they are good with people and children but if you lot bang on about it people are going to think is that all there is to them, and why is that mentioned so much when the other traits are ignored? I have just been to 10 sites dedicated to Staffords everyone says something similar to "Today, the breed is commonly known as the 'Nanny Dog' because of its utmost reputation with children and families". You must start to realise that if you say a thing to many times people get cynical and think your covering up or lying

You really don't get it do you. The general public and the powers that make the laws in this country believe that if a dog looks like a stafford then it is a stafford, for all your bleating about purebred it was only officially recognised and registered in 1935, before that there was no apparent control over breeding stock.

What brush am I tarring you with? my concern is over the breed and the possibility that with the Akita the Rottweiler and some of the Mastiff breeds, that they will have to be castrated muzzled in public and not allowed any imports. They are looking at ways of controlling the inflow of dogs from Eire as we speak because they are bringing in dogs that are banned under the 1991 DDA. Also the prevalence of puppy farms in Eire and the subsequent bad conditions and breeding of those establishments.

Have you seen the sweeping dog control laws that are coming into effect in many EU countries? They are monstrous and invasive on some of our best loved breeds, never mind the breeds that people are concerned about like the staffie.

With a mindset like yours you clearly didn't get the drift of my post then it no wonder that these lovely dogs and this excellent breed will eventually die out. Unless you lot start working on some good press and stop ranting about the good with kids bit your breeds history. And start breeding the gameness out of these dogs if not they are doomed to go the same way as the Dodo.

Let me give you some quotes just from this thread.

Gameness in a stafford means one thing the mental tenacity to cross the scratch line of the pit and attack his opponent through injury and pain ...a winning dog will always fight on but the real gameness comes in to effect when the losing dog is willing to keep crossing the scratch line to attack his opponent he is up to scratch

The so called Irish staff was a name put on dogs that had been sold to the mainland from here they were a mixture of different bloods ebt apbt sbt the name became more used when the dangerous dog act was brought in now anything that has any of this blood or looks anything like the part is sold as an irish staff they are also been bred for colour (more money ) with more alien blood added
I can explain for you Thordell :
The "Irish" staffie was bred for a purpose and kept for that purpose, only in recent times has its popularity as a pet dog soared.
The stafford as we know it today is bred for looks and looks alone and when you breed for looks, everything else falls to the wayside
i think you are well wrong cbt the stafford is breed not only for health and soundness BUT for TYPE aswell could you imagine breedin a stafford that looked like one but acted like a basset hound (no offenece bassetts) you wouldnt have many people comin back for more would you.i think your answer is ridiculous there are a lot of good breeders of kc dogs who really care what there dogs turnm out like as a whole package not just looks .
what i ment is there is a lot of kc breeders who breed also for health ,type and soundness not just for looks,and i dont think the irish was bred in the the late 80's and 90's for flirt pole and A frames and weight pullin now was it
I think the confusion is with the modern(ish) Irish "for want of a name" Stafford. The Psycho line dogs where a classic example of breeding fighting dogs. Keeping lines pure was secondary producing a winning dog/strain was most important. This and the fact that the ultimate fighting dog in the APBTerrier was also easily to hand in those days led to I believe what we see today, a taller more athletic dog. Is it a Stafforshire Bull Terrier No.
Do we really think if the DDA was not in place, people would be calling these dogs Staffords I think we can fairly certain they would be called by what I consider is their politically un correct name Irish Pit Bull Terriers

and yes i suppose along the way there has been pitbull added by some folk ..BUT this is a individual thing and not a breed wide policy..this sort of thing goes on in all breed even Kc breeds(unfortunately). This practice was probably more frequent amongst the psycho line of dogs...and definately the stormmer dogs which are from a staff/ebt x pitbull breeding. Now i know my comments will attract replies ..and i base my comments only on my own experiences and those of my friends wno have ben involved with these dogs for over 45yrs ...
Tusker really like that red dog reminds me of the reds i grew up with have brindles now ,that dog looks like what it is proper bred woking style stafford especially round the head nice tight clean lips good strong underjaw he would be able to grip and worry with no probs if he had to ...not like the majority that are so lippy they will fang their lips on their cutters
great dog
would of been interested in the Irish lines, except twice now I have gone to have a look at pups, and both times some mug was trying to sell me pitbull pups, one even admitted it!
It seems really difficult to find a pure bred Irish line of staffy like the Dublin Red's, because most of the breeders don't sell to the public, and I don't fancy a cross breed
Get the drift guys And I am wrong to say the Irish in some cases has APBT in them.

Stan
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-03-2005, 09:04 AM
Doglistener
Dogsey Senior

04-03-2005, 09:12 AM
Laura

As you are so experienced perhaps you could regale to what animal publications you write for or what committees you sit on to preserve your breed, or even dogs in general how about what education you have taken regarding canines or what books you have read other that Staffy adoration books. What is the latest Dog Book that is taking the canine world by storm disproving the Alpha theory? perhaps you can name the book. Perhaps you can also tell what you know of the upcoming animal welfare bill. And what steps you are taking to try and stop unjust legislation being put in place. or which MPs you have written to put your breeds point across. What organisations seek out your expert opinion on staffords, and which television companiess are you talking to about dogs or radio stations that contact you because of your reputation with dogs.

Then when you find you probably do nothing of the above, come back and tell us who knows feck all. Because of what I do I have a wider voice, I do all the above I give my time to small dog charities I am recommended by Vets Rescue Societies and Canine organisations. And what is more to the point I am actually on your side.

Perhaps you could point out the ludicrous staements on the posts I have made, where I have stated what laws may be implemented. I would be really interested in where you get you knowlege of government affairs.

Stan
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-03-2005, 09:24 AM
DonDon
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-03-2005, 09:31 AM
i think your posts have a point, but being nasty like you are in your last post is only taking your point away, the minute someone gets nasty then theyv lost there argument straight away x
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-03-2005, 09:33 AM
Originally Posted by DonDon
i think your posts have a point, but being nasty like you are in your last post is only taking your point away, the minute someone gets nasty then theyv lost there argument straight away x
Me?
DonDon
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-03-2005, 09:34 AM
no, doglistener
Closed Thread
Page 11 of 26 « First < 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 21 > Last »