Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2011, 10:21 PM

Many thanks to Mishflynn!

I just wanted to let you know that I watched the name response video Mishflynn put up on one of the mega threads and have been practicing it with Rupert. Had to tweak it a little to get a fast response, letting him chase me works far better than a food treat did (although now I have the problem that he doesn't want to stop playing it ).

Anyway, it got put to the test tonight. I'm not sure what he saw but he was off like a shot, through a hedge and from what we could hear attempting to get through the fence onto the next field. I had visions of me crawling through the hedge on my belly and having to drag him away from whatever he'd found and in desperation just tried calling his name in the same tone I use for the name response. He immediately started crashing his way back through the hedge and within 30 seconds had rejoined us I don't know whether it's mean to be used as a recall but this is a dog I've spent 7 years working on recall with and getting just slow responses or him getting distracted part way back. I will be keeping up the practice with him, it's become a game he really enjoys and will hopefully get him into the habit of coming back quickly.

Thank you for sharing the video, thanks for saving my clothes, my dignity and my hands and face from scratches, stings and god only knows what else
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2011, 10:29 PM
Originally Posted by sarah1983 View Post
I just wanted to let you know that I watched the name response video Mishflynn put up on one of the mega threads and have been practicing it with Rupert. Had to tweak it a little to get a fast response, letting him chase me works far better than a food treat did (although now I have the problem that he doesn't want to stop playing it ).

Anyway, it got put to the test tonight. I'm not sure what he saw but he was off like a shot, through a hedge and from what we could hear attempting to get through the fence onto the next field. I had visions of me crawling through the hedge on my belly and having to drag him away from whatever he'd found and in desperation just tried calling his name in the same tone I use for the name response. He immediately started crashing his way back through the hedge and within 30 seconds had rejoined us I don't know whether it's mean to be used as a recall but this is a dog I've spent 7 years working on recall with and getting just slow responses or him getting distracted part way back. I will be keeping up the practice with him, it's become a game he really enjoys and will hopefully get him into the habit of coming back quickly.

Thank you for sharing the video, thanks for saving my clothes, my dignity and my hands and face from scratches, stings and god only knows what else
aww brill and phew lol

re the bold bits....i always run backwards when training a recall.
also,its name response to get attention,then the recall command,so u got the name response u need to train the recall, so its 'rupert' 'rupert come'

i had an 'incident' yesterday that reminded me of my own pet hate lolol

Tupac went flying off a frightening pace after ,lets just say,something he shouldnt have was screaming Tupse,Tupac.....erm Tupac what? 'Tupac COME' ah!,he turned on a sixpence and came flying back faster than he went
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2011, 10:50 PM
re the bold bits....i always run backwards when training a recall.
Oh no, running backwards isn't enough. I have to actually turn and leg it to make it fun and rewarding

Yeah, I had a feeling I should give a command but I was just so relieved to hear him coming back it was all I could do to tell him how wonderful he was and shove treats through the gaps in his muzzle when he caught me.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

31-03-2011, 10:54 PM
sounds brill

where is the vid?
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2011, 11:01 PM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post
sounds brill

where is the vid?
It's buried in one of the mega threads in the training section. I can't remember which one though.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

31-03-2011, 11:07 PM
thats a shame

was hoping to share what you described
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2011, 07:50 AM
Well done---its great when something works!

I have to say running backwards isn't my thing----enough problems walking forwards!

rune
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2011, 08:36 AM
Well Done Rupert and Sarah!

I have to say the only time I walk/run away is when Louie is taking the total p*ss and I walk away just saying Bye then! Seems to work fine

Well done with him and keep up the good work

KW she has a youtube channel - maybe you could find it on there - her username is the same.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

01-04-2011, 08:39 AM
cheers SLB

way easier than digging thru endless threads!
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2011, 08:39 AM
Well done you! and I am sure she would be thrilled to know that her valuable help was so useful and did not fall on stony ground!

Congratulations
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >