Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
PizzaPrincess
New Member!
Female 

24-01-2018, 11:26 AM

What do you look for in kennels?

I dont have a dog yet, and hoping that if I get one before my holiday that Ill find a friend to help out!

But if I have to look for a kennels for a week, what should I look for? Ive never used one before!
tumbleweed
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

24-01-2018, 03:52 PM
Wait until you have had your holiday before getting a dog. Not fair on the dog
Bulldogs4Life
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-01-2018, 04:50 PM
I am not sure in UK, but here I would look for a place with good references (especially if people you personally know have used them), that is licensed, has clean facilities, has clear written policies, see what kennel cough vaccine requirements are, ome that doesn't run a bunch of dogs together in a play yard with a couple workers to oversee them all.
Sue L
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2018, 09:45 AM
Go and look and as many places as possible. If you have to make an appointment proceed with caution, You should be able to visit anytime during their opening hours so you will see what they look like during a normal working day. Ask about what is covered in the price, some offer cover by their own pet health insurance and some don't- no hard and fast rule for that one but they should take your pet to a vet if needed. Can you take your own food if you so desire and are they willing to give medication.

Everywhere should be clean, although a little dog fouling should not be a reason for not using them as you can never tell when a dog needs to go Most dogs should look happy, there are a few who don't like kennels and will stay away from you or just lie in their beds.

What exercise facilities they use and whether they run dogs together, not something I would recommend unless they are from the same family.

The kennels I use at the moment are not all singing all dancing but the owners are very nice and they are clean whenever we go in.
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

26-01-2018, 05:35 PM
Originally Posted by PizzaPrincess View Post
I dont have a dog yet, and hoping that if I get one before my holiday that Ill find a friend to help out!

But if I have to look for a kennels for a week, what should I look for? Ive never used one before!
Dogs? That's what you might to find in a kennel..............
PizzaPrincess
New Member!
Female 

27-01-2018, 05:08 PM
Ive found the most lovely place, I might move in myself

Home boarding rather than kennels Future holidays will include doggo!
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

27-01-2018, 05:33 PM
Originally Posted by PizzaPrincess View Post
Ive found the most lovely place, I might move in myself

Home boarding rather than kennels Future holidays will include doggo!
Good. Ours goes with us everywhere. He is comfortable in the car, hotels restaurants, lifts.........
I hope yours will be too.
tumbleweed
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

27-01-2018, 05:41 PM
Beware of home boarding . Are they licenced( home boarding licence) and insured. They still have to display in a prominant position their boarding licence, make sure they have one.
how many dogs do they take in at once and licenced for?. What are their conditions if a dog needs a vet are they covering the cost for your dog. Is someone there 24 hours a day or are they left for hours on end? Some try and say they only do day care to try and avoid inspections and licencing

Sue and I owned a licenced boarding kennel and cattery for about 22 years (119 dogs and 42 cats was our licence for) and we heard of horrendous stories about home care. Such as dogs in back garden escaping as the dustmen left the back gate open is just one example, Dogs fighting and the owners left with huge vet bills is another

I don't say don't use home boarding BUT be fully aware that they may not meet all the requirement laid down under The Animal Boarding Establishment act of 1963 and any pertaining bylaws

Another trick is saying they belong to an organisation that holds a general licence for their members. It is the people doing the boarding that must have licence in their name not some far distant organisation They are conning you because they don't have one.

You can ask the local environmental health officers for that area if they have issued a licence for those people doing home boarding. If not they are breaking the law and if caught the dogs will be removed and placed elsewhere, you might not see your dog again

All I am saying I check first and check again , needless to say we would not go near a dog home boarding place, but it is your choice but do your homework first
PizzaPrincess
New Member!
Female 

27-01-2018, 06:33 PM
Yes they have all that, CRB check certificate too. Ive actually used them for pet feeding before (small animals) but completely forgot that their main business is dog walking and boarding (doh!)

I don't drive so once doggo is settled in the house and with training we will add in short bus and train journeys so that by summer we can have days at the beach. I'm very muc looking forward to adventuring!
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2018, 10:15 PM
My dog comes everywhere with us ... dog friendly pubs and restaurants are increasing in number. I would not dream of going on holiday without Ben ��
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >