Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Mouse
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-05-2009, 08:47 PM

Book of the Bitch - quite shocked

I was given 'The book of the Bitch' for my birthday on Saturday (quite an apt present from my boyfriend I think!).

Just having a bit of a read tonight & am quite shocked at what is written in page 41 Biting. It reads........This merits a growl and a snap on your part, copying the mode of punishment an adult dog would give her. A sharp shake is an extreme lesson, but sometimes necessary when the puppy gets over-excited as she will on occasion until she learns her limits.
What are they thinking? words fail me.
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2009, 08:48 PM
Oh no, wait for the increase in cases of dogs being bitten by humans
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2009, 09:06 PM
I've heard this before....pup gets excited, you nip it's ear .....like mom would to put it in it's place.

On the other side of the coin.....I bite Bruces neck constantly ( whilst mumbling in his fur...your Mommies handsome boy) and he repays me by chewing my ears
Mouse
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-05-2009, 09:09 PM
Its the giving it a shake bit that is concerning me!
johnderondon
Almost a Veteran
Male 

18-05-2009, 09:16 PM
The Book of the Bitch was published in 1988 so I wouldn't expect a sudden surge this week.

I have another book on my desk by a trainer who is well regarded by some (not least by himself). The section for training a 'down' warns...

"The struggle might be quite fierce and noisy the first time and prove quite traumatic to both you and the dog."

Nice, huh?

Still better than Koehler.
Mouse
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-05-2009, 09:22 PM
I think I've led a sheltered life sounds like lion training! Makes you realise what was acceptable behaviour a very short time ago. Not surprising that there are still some stragglers left.
Koehler - is that a training book? ...still very new to all this type of literature.
johnderondon
Almost a Veteran
Male 

18-05-2009, 10:43 PM
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
Koehler - is that a training book?

Lol. There's got to be a thread on here somewhere. I'll go look
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2009, 10:51 PM
I have before been advised to bite the ear of my dog as a punishment and to pick them up by the scruff to calm them...

One sounds like a good way to get your face bitten, the other to get your arm bitten! neither would seem to be a punishment, nor calming
johnderondon
Almost a Veteran
Male 

18-05-2009, 11:01 PM
Meh...he gets a mention here and there but no good threads on this forum.

William Koehler was a dog trainer in America. Opinions are divided. Some say...

Bill gave us a way to train dogs while at the same time honoring their very dog-ness.
http://www.dogpro.org/index.php?pageID=181

others maintain...

Koehler Method
Heavy-handed, compulsion-style dog obedience training method developed by William Koehler. Some of his problem-solving and disciplinary techniques are extremely harsh (which we do NOT recommend.) Strong emphasis on compulsion and physical correction, as well as after-the-fact discipline.
http://www.inch.com/~dogs/training.html

As flavour - Koehler's method for stopping a dog from digging in the flowerbeds involved making the dog believe that it was dying. I don't think anyone in the UK advertises as using his methods but several trainers in the States still revere him.
wolfdogowner
Dogsey Senior
Male 

19-05-2009, 04:36 AM
Originally Posted by johnderondon View Post
The Book of the Bitch was published in 1988 so I wouldn't expect a sudden surge this week.

I have another book on my desk by a trainer who is well regarded by some (not least by himself). The section for training a 'down' warns...

"The struggle might be quite fierce and noisy the first time and prove quite traumatic to both you and the dog."

Nice, huh?

Still better than Koehler.
I think that book deserves a nudge off the desk and into the bin...
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >