Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Azz
Administrator
Male 

01-12-2012, 05:34 PM
Originally Posted by Rosebud77 View Post
Soft cheese is easy; all you need is rennet which you can buy. Long time ago but simply add the rennet to the milk and leave overnight, then strain gently through muslin.. curds and whey this is and the whey is great in scones.

Add salt and eg chives.

There is an Indian soft curd cheese made with lime juice but i never tried that. Wouldf work with whole cows' milk I think

For hard cheese you start the same way but you need a press. I improvised with a coffee tin and weights. The idea is to press all the moisture out and consolidate and mature the curds. That takes awhile as it has to be done gently and the cheese turned frequently. I did this once but preferred the soft cheese.. easier. The hard cheese was excellent by the way eventually.

Goat milk is ready homogenised ie no cream at the top which facilitates cheese making.

I love goat cheese but it is too costly for me these days. Sampled some at the last craft and food fair though...

All this was in my self sufficency years.
Thanks!

One day I am going to give it a go

I prefer soft cheese too so hopefully that'll be a bit easier

Does it take long? Are goats easy to care for? I'd love one one day. Along with a few chickens
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2012, 06:11 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
Thanks!

One day I am going to give it a go

I prefer soft cheese too so hopefully that'll be a bit easier

Does it take long? Are goats easy to care for? I'd love one one day. Along with a few chickens
Soft cheese is ready overnight.

I had a goat, two Jacobs sheep for wool to spin, hens galore, ducks, geese, peafowl and cats. Before my dog days. And before I was quite so busy with other work,, oh and vegetables of course.

Goats need attention like all critters; I chose to keep mine in milk as the only billy on the island where I lived was her father and they used to kill the kids at birth accordingly. They tend to be characters.. mine certainly was.

I know; many dream of that life but it is hard work and need dedication. I am past all that phase now! Just two dogs and two cats, all rescued
Azz
Administrator
Male 

01-12-2012, 06:22 PM
Wow that quick - I am surprised! Might give it a go sooner then.

I don't want too much - just a goat for milk and chickens for eggs, and veg of course. Hopefully that will be a bit easier to manage

How many years did you do it for? Have you got any photos? I'm such a nosey parker aren't I?

Thanks again for the replies.
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2012, 06:43 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
Wow that quick - I am surprised! Might give it a go sooner then.

I don't want too much - just a goat for milk and chickens for eggs, and veg of course. Hopefully that will be a bit easier to manage

How many years did you do it for? Have you got any photos? I'm such a nosey parker aren't I?

Thanks again for the replies.
A decade... no photos thanks to computer crashes etc and now I don't have a working digital camera and cannot replace it and cannot fathom how to upload photos here for the few I have of the dogs etc.

You need land for a goat. And strong fencing as they tend to be houdinis, unless you tether them.. and shelter also. and their feet need attention etc etc etc,,

And things tend to escalate once you start and folk want you to take in cast offs.. There were no predators there so that made it easier. When I came to Ireland, I started with hens again, but mink got them and I gave up on the idea. oh and the pet lambs etc...and the pine marten... and the feral cats... But I have to take a firm hand now and say NO. It is all very time and energy consuming and I am needed elsewhere now.

Feral cats are a different matter here in Ireland; I will not see any critter starve.

But no more residents! Collie was not planned, bless her
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2