Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Harvey1
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-12-2007, 07:49 PM

Distracting Dogs/Handlers whilst in the ring

Took my Tibetan Terrier to this years LKA Championship Show at the NEC. This was his first Champ Show and we were hoping for him to perform well.

Whilst his handler was in the ring with Harvey a lady outside the ring was constantly giving him grief about his standing position.

Now Harvey has got a problem which is being dealt with. But this ladies constant earache put his handler off which in turn distracted Harvey.

As this was our first major show, Harvey's handler did not know that you could complain to the ring steward (we will know for next time

Despite only getting a fourth (out of four) my little baby performed really well and both myself and his handler are really proud of him.

Would like to know those of you that show would have dealt with the situation. I was videoing at the time so did not see the lady approached Harvey's handler.

If I had done a few choice words would have been said.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-12-2007, 07:53 PM
That's terrible, there is no way anyone outside of the ring should interfere with those in the ring, nor do anything that distracts either the handler or the dog. I too would have said a few choice words.
Becky
SarahJ
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-12-2007, 07:55 PM
Gawd you always get a know it all dont you, people forget its a hobby at the end of the day and they think their advice SHOULD be heeded often at impractical times!

I would have politely said bog off and told the steward if she didnt..
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-12-2007, 07:58 PM
I too would have approched her and told her where she can stick her advice !

I've had it done to me in the beginning and was so distracted by a lady trying to tell me things all the time, I missed the Judges instructions twice and I hadnt stacked my dog. I didn't know her, but I thought she was someone important !!

Shame you didn't witness it, as you could have made a complaint !
boobah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-12-2007, 08:20 PM
Nobody would get away with that with Asta and I. Shona,my mum and dad would have put a stop to that.Never mind you'll know the next time and no doubt complain and quite rightly so,xxxxxxxxxxxx
Harvey1
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-12-2007, 08:23 PM
Its because Harvey has a mild Hip Dysplasia problem which he is getting over. We have given him intense therapy over the last six months. Including Hydrotherapy and Physio.

Also he has lots of Vitamins which help to prevent the condition getting worse. The lady was giving Harveys handler grief about the way he was standing. Harvey is quite capable of standing properly but because he was getting tired, he tends to rest that leg. Yes a bad habit that we will have to get him out of

To add insult to injury, another lady came up to myself and Harveys handler and berated us as well. Despite us trying to explain the situation.

This was Harveys first try at a major show and we are all extremly proud of him.
boobah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-12-2007, 08:33 PM
Originally Posted by Harvey1 View Post
Its because Harvey has a mild Hip Dysplasia problem which he is getting over. We have given him intense therapy over the last six months. Including Hydrotherapy and Physio.

Also he has lots of Vitamins which help to prevent the condition getting worse. The lady was giving Harveys handler grief about the way he was standing. Harvey is quite capable of standing properly but because he was getting tired, he tends to rest that leg. Yes a bad habit that we will have to get him out of

To add insult to injury, another lady came up to myself and Harveys handler and berated us as well. Despite us trying to explain the situation.

This was Harveys first try at a major show and we are all extremly proud of him.
Never you mind,don't even answer to these folk.What a cheek,you tell them to keep their opinion to theirselves in future.You must have felt awful with someone doing this to you,they don't take folks feelings into consideration.It's total ignorance in my eyes,especially when someone is showing for fun and not rossette hungry probably like they are.
I have to send you,your handler and most of all Harvey huge massive ((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))) and hope your next show goes better,good luck,xxxxxxxxxxxx
Harvey1
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-12-2007, 08:45 PM
Originally Posted by boobah View Post
Never you mind,don't even answer to these folk.What a cheek,you tell them to keep their opinion to theirselves in future.You must have felt awful with someone doing this to you,they don't take folks feelings into consideration.It's total ignorance in my eyes,especially when someone is showing for fun and not rossette hungry probably like they are.
I have to send you,your handler and most of all Harvey huge massive ((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))) and hope your next show goes better,good luck,xxxxxxxxxxxx
We all thank you for the hugs and Harvey sends you a big sloppy kiss.
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-12-2007, 08:47 PM
You can do a number of things if you are handling...... I often have a certain person doing something similar standing next to me when we are in for the dog ticket. If you are in the breed class (ie not the ticket) and judging hasn't started and you are not at the back, move out and re-position yourself at the end. (You can't do this in Ireland or any FCI shows though as you have to stand in number order) If you are able to tell the steward then even better. My pain in the neck is actually in the ring, and constantly makes silly (and loud) voices to her dog, and she encourages him to bounce around and, fancy that, he ends up backing into Deccy if I'm not careful. If someone does that, step firmly towards the centre of the ring so their dog will end up behind you and hidden from the judge! they won't do it again and a knowing smile at them at the same time indicates that they have been rumbled. Similarly, another trick is to squeeze someone into a corner. Again, step out a bit. I always stop short when we've moved, so once everyone is settled there is a fair gap so the one in front shouldn't "accidentally" back into mine and you can go forward a touch if you need to (especially if the one behind has it's nose up the bum of yours) without accusations of "crowding". Never be afraid to ask for room. It works most of the time.
With people outside the ring, the steward should be alert to this. However, don't rely on it as they have a lot to keep an eye on and paperwork to complete. Either walk up to the person and tell them to shut up or you'll complain to the show secretary, or attract the steward and explain. Do NOT approach the judge.
By the way, be very careful video-ing at a show - it's usually not permitted, nor are photos with flash until judging is over. The show schedule should explain the situation.
Don't let it put you off. I have become selectively deaf when I'm in the ring, and concentrate solely on my dog and the judge. Whatever your dog is, or whatever he does, someone will have an opinion on it! I nearly flattened a loud mouth at the East of England show who was "knowledgeably" commentating on the Dallies, displaying a complete lack of basic knowledge of the breed to her poor companion who will now take twice as long to understand the breed.
SarahJ
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-12-2007, 09:33 PM
Originally Posted by Harvey1 View Post

I think its the devil and the deep blue sea moment if your dog is already showing signs of displasia , it doesnt look good on the breed (or in ours not that people would admit it) its not a bad habit as such as the dog is doing what is comfortable for him...

The more mature he gets and the heavier weight he carries will only exaggerate the problem..
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >