Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
frenj
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-11-2014, 02:03 AM

Mimi going to Europe, cont... Great news

For those of you who have read my post about taking Mimi to Europe to go and help my dad, I have great, great news.

Sammy had bad teeth that needed to be removed. During the summer we scheduled the surgery, but Sammy turned blue as soon as the vet started the general anesthesia. He sent me for some ultrasound of his heart and abdomen. The heart seemed fine.

So the vet re-scheduled the procedure, saying he would try another anesthetic. Same thing happened, turned blue.

Now this past week I noticed that Sammy refused to eat dry food and was asking for canned food, which is the opposite of what he usually likes. On Monday I had to go to the vet for the paperwork for the travel. While driving there, I thought it would be so hard on Sammy to travel while having toothaches. So I asked the vet if we could try one more time. The vet told me that there was a 90% chance that Sammy would not make it. I said, try your best, and don't let him die.

I spent some time reading online about general anesthesia and cats and read that hydration was very important, so I gave Sammy plenty to drink. And liquid fortifiers.

Sammy had the surgery today. He never turned blue. Had 4 teeth pulled and will be pain-free (hopefully) to go to Europe. I am so thrilled.

I had bought carrier and harness, but had not opened the boxes yet, in case he died. I came home today and started unpacking and preparing everything. Felt like Christmas morning.
frenj
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-11-2014, 02:10 AM
This is Sammy (in front) and my deaf orange tabby.

brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2014, 08:30 AM
What beautiful cats. Have you moved yet or is that still pending?
frenj
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-11-2014, 02:38 PM
Originally Posted by brenda1 View Post
What beautiful cats. Have you moved yet or is that still pending?
We are going next week. Today Sammy is coming home from the hospital.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2014, 03:35 PM
Delighted for you and Sammy,what a load off your mind that must be Fingers crossed he recovers well.Great you can finally get excited and it's all systems go
frenj
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-11-2014, 02:48 AM
Thanks for the kind wishes, Lacey and Brenda. The last hurdle will be the travel itself, with temperatures dropping by the hour these days. I'll let you know when we are safely home.
Sue L
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2014, 08:22 AM
Well don Sammy. Now you can enjoy your new life.

I wouldn't worry about the drop in temperature as I believe when animals are flown as cargo they have a special area they can heat. Hope all goes well for you.
frenj
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-11-2014, 03:23 PM
Thanks, Sue. But we are not the ones who decide. Technically, if the temps are below 45F, the airline can refuse to board a pet. So, wish me luck. I Contacted the company to see what happens if they do and if I should reschedule the flight.