Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-06-2012, 11:40 AM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Strangely enough, no, Jackie!!!! It gets windy around Dave's chair but he never eats it! It's good for you and it has the potential to ward off nasties like cancer, or so I've read, but I only eat it coz I love it!
But you do not need to boil vegetables to death! No need to boil them either - steaming is far tastier and you do not lose vitamins and stuff in the water...
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2012, 12:02 PM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
But you do not need to boil vegetables to death! No need to boil them either - steaming is far tastier and you do not lose vitamins and stuff in the water...
Oh I totally agree with you grandma! I used to love my cabbage boiled to death, but now, it has to be lightly cooked for a matter of just a few minutes, till it goes floppy but stays bright green. I love my sprouts steamed rather than boiled, but I haven't actually tried it with my spring cabbage, so I'll be doing that tomorrow!
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2012, 12:24 PM
Even tastier if you just whack it all in a big oven dish and slow roast it all in the oven!

You can remove the calories first of course!
Azz
Administrator
Male 

10-06-2012, 01:07 PM
I eat cabbage everyday too (tho lightly steamed - I like it a bit raw )

With regards to washing - if I buy organic, I just give things a quick rinse, and just scrub carrots (and tail them - leaving the tops lol).

However I can't always get organic and although I only get 'quality' fruit and veg from shops like Waitrose and M&S I do feel they need washing, because even they use pesticides. Which are sprayed many times throughout the crops life - so removing just the outer layer doesn't really help much.

The main reason I was asking was because I think when the govt pesticide-levels guidelines etc are set, they actually 'wash' the produce in a chemical solution - they don't actually wash it like we would. Which I think is odd - surely they need to mimic what people would do? And I think it's fair to say most just rinse softer veg, and some brush harder veg (like pots).
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2012, 01:26 PM
TBH, I dont bother. I buy bags of salad leaves for lunch at work, and just nom. Fruit, I tend to eat on the go, and I figure that boiling will kill off most nasties.

I worry more about what goes into meat and poultry production, and what is lingering in the end result. Hence I only buy Organic or locally extensively reared
spockky boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2012, 04:10 PM
Fruit and veg in bags I don't tend to wash, unless it looks or says it needs a rise before eating.

Anything hand picked always gets rises under tap, and or peeled if needed before cooking/eating.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2012, 05:44 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
Do you just rinse? Or try to wash as much as you can? Peel carrots etc?

I've noticed more chalky substances on things like cabbage - and I assume it's pesticides... how on earth are we meant to get them off

Could the powdery stuff you mention be mildew?

I worry about pesticides too. I eat loads of raw broccoli and make broccoli soup but I usually rinse with water. Carrots I scrub but don't peel because I read that antioxidants are in or right under the peel. I peel if the carrot skin looks a bit 'rough' though.

Spuds I scrub if using the skins - which I do if baking or boiling or making wedges. If I peel them, I rinse the spud.

I peel parsnip and butternut squash and turnip/swede.

'Salad' stuff like lettuce, toms, cucumber I rinse and scrub lightly. I rinse and lightly scrub peppers. For spinach and watercress, I usually buy it pre-bagged.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

11-06-2012, 10:40 AM
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
Could the powdery stuff you mention be mildew?
I thought it might be too at one point... until I compared it to organic
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-06-2012, 11:11 AM
I never wash it :/
It's going to get cooked isn't it?!
Stormpants
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-06-2012, 11:54 AM
Just soak your veg in some white vinegar and water for about 5 mins, then rinse off!
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2