Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Baileys Blind
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2012, 06:11 PM

Veggie Garden :o)

I've finally decided to go all 'Good Life' and put the paddock to use by digging in some veggie patches Isn't 'good' food expensive nowadays in the shops? No wonder so many people are eating rubbish food

So I've bought some books and as soon as we get some decent dry weather off a digging I go

I'm thinking of growing potatoes, onions, carrots, lettuce, beetroot maybe some parsnips - the things we eat regularly really - When (and if) they've grown can I freeze them fresh or would I be better par boiling them first?? (obviously not the lettuce )

I've got all the tools and am watching the rain lashing down and tutting at it - now I've made my mind up I want to get going!!!

Has anyone got any tips from their experiences that will help me ? Things they've picked up along the way, that don't normally come up in books
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2012, 06:36 PM
Here's my tip (from a past ardent gardner for more than 30yrs).

If you keep digging with a spade - it is quite likely that one day you will have back trouble and problems with your knees!

Sorry!
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2012, 06:42 PM
Get the dogs to do the digging Max thoroughly enjoyed digging my vegetable patch up. I had to stop him through as he was fling great big clods of earth at the greenhouse
Baileys Blind
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2012, 07:36 PM
Tried the dogs helping route - Not too sure they've got the hang of it though . . .

Kiara has to inspect every flower bulb I've put in so far, if not she noses them out and looks at me until I hold in front of her nose

And Poppy - Bl**dy Poppy keeps depositing them at my feet at various stages throughout the day, usually as soon as I take my eyes off her - with a look at me that says 'See Mum, You hide em - I'll find em'

I'll be keeping them well away from this one
tattoogirl73
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-02-2012, 08:45 PM
when you've done yours, would you like to come round to mine and sort ours out? apparently brad's parents had a veg patch at the side of the garage. it might still be there under all the junk
Baileys Blind
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2012, 09:10 PM
Originally Posted by tattoogirl73 View Post
when you've done yours, would you like to come round to mine and sort ours out? apparently brad's parents had a veg patch at the side of the garage. it might still be there under all the junk
Ummmmmmm . . . . . . . .Lemme think about that . . . . . . . . . . NO

I'll quite happily lend you my books though
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2012, 09:20 PM
Grow spuds in containers, they take over the whole garden. Same applies to mint if you grow it. I used a strawberry pot with all sorts of different mint in, apple, spearmint, pineapple etc.
tattoogirl73
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-02-2012, 11:25 PM
Originally Posted by Baileys Blind View Post
Ummmmmmm . . . . . . . .Lemme think about that . . . . . . . . . . NO

I'll quite happily lend you my books though
i might take you up on the offer of the books. think this year i am actually going to have to do some gardening. i wonder if i can con the gamekeeper into doing all the hedges again?
galty
Dogsey Senior
Male 

19-02-2012, 07:36 AM
You might find this girls blog very informative.

http://www.mytinyplot.co.uk/
ste
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-02-2012, 07:56 PM
Been doing a veggie garden for a while now, last year tried freezing the veggie's raw (first time, before I blanched them) the veg frozen raw was (and is) great, as good as fresh. So recommend that. I freeze carrots, beetroot, spinach, courgets, green beans, silver beet, all raw.
When you crop your onions, dry them well,(hang them in a cool dark place) then store them in a dark cupboard, I prefer chalots though as you get more,
Despite the bad back from the digging, and sore knees from weeding , it is worth the effort. and you save a fortune
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >