register for free

Dog News

Man jailed for taping dog's mouth shut

How can anyone be so cruel

An American man who wrapped electrical tape around the muzzle of a dog has been sentenced to five years in jail.

William Dodson, 43, said he bound the pet's mouth because she barked too much. Caitlyn, a Staffordshire bull terrier mix, lost part of her tongue and had to have several surgeries.

The sentence represents South Carolina's maximum for animal cruelty.

The day before the court case, William Dodson was also sentenced to 15 years on a separate gun charge.

The two sentences will run simultaneously.
[Warning, contains very upsetting images]
Photos and Story: http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/articl...ogs-mouth-shut

Your comments and views:
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

12-08-2017, 09:33 PM
I think the sentences should run for the full term of each - 20 years. And the cruel barsteward should be banned from ever owning any pets.
Woodle
New Member!
Female 

23-08-2017, 05:58 PM
I agree, Time Animal Abuse was taken seriously by the Courts. If the punishment was harsh and heavy maybe people would think twice before they did it..
Johmar
New Member!
Female 

07-10-2017, 10:30 AM
Oh what a terrible thing to do to a dog.
Moyra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2017, 11:17 AM
Someone should try taping his mouth shut and see if he likes it?! He must complete his full sentence for this crime.
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

22-11-2017, 06:46 PM
Originally Posted by Moyra View Post
Someone should try taping his mouth shut and see if he likes it?! He must complete his full sentence for this crime.
Agree. Debatable whether the toerag should have been allowed to have a dog in the first place.

I think there should be some mandatory checks and tests to assess whether the would be owner is qualified to own a dog.

Ours is a rescue and I would have taken him there and then. But we were put through hoops before we were allowed to take him home.

We had to walk him for three days consecutively at the rescue centre. That did two things. It made sure we could get along with the dog. And that we would take it seriously and turn up on consecutive days.

Next, we had a home visit to make sure we had suitable accommodation to take on a dog.

We got past that, and took ownership. Not done with that, we had another home visit six weeks later to see how he was settling in. The rest is a happy history.

I have to applaud the centre, Appledown near Dunstable for their stance on this.

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top